We face fight for Woodgate

Craig

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best defender the club has ever had. Would've been regarded as good as Bobby Moore if he had a normal career without the injuries imo. Yes, he was that good. Good lad too.

Guest Geordio Armani
Best defender the club has ever had. Would've been regarded as good as Bobby Moore if he had a normal career without the injuries imo. Yes, he was that good. Good lad too.

Are ye on the Don Reeve :D

Nar recovering from a late night of debauchery last neet mate. Woodgate as a defender was flawless. Rio Ferdinand was better than someone like Tony Adams, and between Adams and Bobby Moore, who was a truly world class English defender. Ask any Leeds fan who was better Woody or Rio they'll tell you. He should've been an all time great.

You're right about Leeds fans-the ones I've spoken to anyway would agree with you.

I remember watching the Partizan qualifier(the away leg) and thinking that it was like the ball was attracted to him. He was flawless.

You're right about Leeds fans-the ones I've spoken to anyway would agree with you.

I remember watching the Partizan qualifier(the away leg) and thinking that it was like the ball was attracted to him. He was flawless.

Yet it was his mistake in the home leg that ultimately cost us.....

FWIW, he's the best defender i've seen play in a live game.

Guest Geordio Armani

Nar recovering from a late night of debauchery last neet mate. Woodgate as a defender was flawless. Rio Ferdinand was better than someone like Tony Adams, and between Adams and Bobby Moore, who was a truly world class English defender. Ask any Leeds fan who was better Woody or Rio they'll tell you. He should've been an all time great.

Where were you last night like?

Edited by Geordio Armani

In the home leg against Marseilles he produced the most immense individual defensive performance I've ever seen.

Are ye on the Don Reeve :blush:

Nosey cunt aren't ye :D

Guest Geordio Armani

errr aye :blush:

Was in town till 3am, didnt get to sleep till about 6, too old for this pish noo like. Woodgate was top top class why do you think he wasn't?

Guest Geordio Armani

Was in town till 3am, didnt get to sleep till about 6, too old for this pish noo like. Woodgate was top top class why do you think he wasn't?

I agree mate,just when you said he was as good as Moore :icon_lol: Woodgate was many things but not a thief :D

errr aye :D

I agree mate,just when you said he was as good as Moore :icon_lol: Woodgate was many things but not a thief :icon_lol:

:blush: I only watched that thing about Colombia and Moore last week. Sneaky cunts eh? Me nana used to say never trust a mackem or foreigners. Well she didn't to be honest but if she had have done she'd have been reet.

Woody was by far the best central defender I've seen play for us. Stand out game is the Marseille one and also his debut. Can't remember who the striker was but he challenged a Chelsea player on his debut at the Gallowgate end and it was immense. Goven what we'd been subjected to for years I had it down for a penalty but he nailed the challenge.

Remember soon after we signed him during the era of when Sol and Rio were the mainstay centre-backs for England, a lad at work who supported Arsenal reckoned it should have been Terry and Woodgate even then. And he was right.

Injuries aside, he was one of the best if not the best CB in the Premiership around 2003/04.

I know I'm saying the same as everybody else , but Woodgate was the best defender I've ever seen play for Newcastle by such a distance its not even funny.

Shame he didn't have a brain.

The Woodgate signing saga is what introduced me to the world of internet football forums as well. What I wouldn't give to have a bit of that sort of excitement and optimism again. Depressingly that's probably gone for ever

If you saw him play its not even open to debate, the guy was an absolute genius, i'd rate him as good as Baresi, Maldini etc and its one of the biggest wastes of a player alongside Gazza that injuries stopped him being an alltime legend of the game. I mean he could take some pretty average defenders alongside him and make the whole defence look good at times. I used to watch him when he was here in games, and i'd see him suddenly make a move acorss the pitch that at the time didn't seem to make much sense, but lo and behold the play would end up exactly where he'd anticipated, he just knew. And when fully fit he was one of the fastest centrebacks i've seen at chasing down quick attackers.

why the fuck are we been linked with old newcastle rejects for first ngzobia now woodgate wtf

Real Madrid, the place Newcastle send their rejects ...

From Harry Redknapp's comments about Woodgate it seems the player is looking for a pay as you play contract.

Couldn't hurt, he's still incredible whenever fit enough to play.

Apparently he might play today against Birmingham,

Redknapp giving him a chance to show other clubs that he's still alive.

why the fuck are we been linked with old newcastle rejects for first ngzobia now woodgate wtf

Real Madrid, the place Newcastle send their rejects ...

From Harry Redknapp's comments about Woodgate it seems the player is looking for a pay as you play contract.

Couldn't hurt, he's still incredible whenever fit enough to play.

Apparently he might play today against Birmingham,

Redknapp giving him a chance to show other clubs that he's still alive.

If he gets injured today I'd guess its career over then. He's not played for two seasons has he?

I'd echo what others have said about him being the best defender we've had in my lifetime btw. And despite his nickname at t'leeds being 'Village', I think he always comes across as an alright lad in interviews. Keep him away from the Dickens Inn in Boro if he does come back up here though.