Toon set for war over Owen

Scottish Mag

MICHAEL OWEN is heading for war with Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd.

Owen, returning from a knee injury, is desperate to play in England’s friendly with Brazil on June 1.

But a Toon insider said: “Freddy is fuming about this.

"He doesn’t see why Michael should be able to go off and play for England when he has hardly figured for Newcastle.”

Striker Owen, 27, is expected to return to the Newcastle team for next Sunday’s home clash with Chelsea — his first game after suffering a serious knee injury at last summer’s World Cup.

Shepherd has been at loggerheads with the FA over compensation for Owen’s injury as Soho Square chiefs are only paying half of his £110,000-a-week wages.

Shepherd is in no mood to let Owen line up for England after spending so long on the sidelines.

He also reckons the striker is not showing enough loyalty to the club.

The insider added: “Freddy was never happy with the FA’s attitude to Newcastle’s position and this would just rub salt in the wound. It is likely to get nasty.”

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, hardly rocket science really.

still have massive doubts about his loyalty though.

Just said the same on NO, but I'm comfortable with the fact that he's prouder pulling on his England shirt than his Newcastle one. He's not a local lad, and he's always been a real England man. I'm just pleased he's wasting another year of his career at this deadbeat club tbh.

If EMO plays for inger-land when he isn't fully fit he is more likely to get injured again.

EMO always gives the impression he would be off like a shot if another club came in and matched the £100,000 a week we pay him.

What exactly gives you that impression? And would you blame him anyway?

If EMO plays for inger-land when he isn't fully fit he is more likely to get injured again.

EMO always gives the impression he would be off like a shot if another club came in and matched the £100,000 a week we pay him.

No one ever will so you can stop worrying about that one. If he plays for us before the end of the season I'd have no problem with him turning out for Ingurland.

news of the screws have said manchester utd would take him for his 12m buy out clause after he proves his fitness.

now i'm more loyal than michael is, but if i were offered the same terms etc as i had here to play in that squad i'd jump at the chance. i don't doubt a few others here would.

why though when we bought him did we only insert a 12m buy out clause... we paid £16 million plus around 100k a week wages...

If Owen is fit he should play for england, the match practice will do him good

What if he's only played 10 or 20 mins for us, should he then get 90 mins for England in a must win qualfier ?

In the news today that we are seeking an injunction to prevent him from playing for England until the FA give us some more compensation money for the injury at the WC. Owen is refusing to say that he won't play for England.

Seriously, there is only Freddy Shepherd that has the unique combination of enormous ego and lack of intelligence to do something like this. Spectactularly stupid. It's one of those situations that you can see culminating in us selling him for a big discount in January as club and player fall out.

In the news today that we are seeking an injunction to prevent him from playing for England until the FA give us some more compensation money for the injury at the WC. Owen is refusing to say that he won't play for England.

Seriously, there is only Freddy Shepherd that has the unique combination of enormous ego and lack of intelligence to do something like this. Spectactularly stupid. It's one of those situations that you can see culminating in us selling him for a big discount in January as club and player fall out.

Well for once I agree with Shepherd, I have to say. Serves him right for buying the mercenary twat anyway, I guess.

Pathetic. When we signed him the board couldn't fucking stop waxing lyrical about him being 'Englands No 1 stiker.' Now they don't want him to play. Tough shit, we knew what we were getting, let him fucking play ffs.

Well for once I agree with Shepherd, I have to say. Serves him right for buying the mercenary twat anyway, I guess.

You agree with the talk about injuctions?

Edited by ewerk

No, not at all, that's typical Shepherd diplomacy, shooting himself in his fat foot. What I do think is that if Owen had any decency at all, he'd rule himself out of playing for England, until he put in some games playing for us. But the guy has no decency or loyalty to us whatsoever.

No, not at all, that's typical Shepherd diplomacy, shooting himself in his fat foot. What I do think is that if Owen had any decency at all, he'd rule himself out of playing for England, until he put in some games playing for us. But the guy has no decency or loyalty to us whatsoever.

I don't know what this has to do with decency or loyalty? If Owen is fit or feels fit enough, he is entitled to play.

I don't know what this has to do with decency or loyalty? If Owen is fit or feels fit enough, he is entitled to play.

I'm not denying he is entitled to play, hence I think Shepherd's efforts are a waste of time. Imo he's a tosser if he does play though. His loyalty should be the club who pay his wages, not England.

Exactly. Sorry Renton, you're talking shit. I can't get my head around the Newcastle fans who desperately need Owen to show his love for NUFC. What do you want from the lad? He was injured during the season, so he couldn't play for NUFC, and now that he's fit for some reason he has to play a nominal number of games for us, before you'll see fit to allow him to play for England again? Even during the close season when we aren't playing, he has to sit kicking his heels because he still hasn't fulfilled his NUFC quota? I mean does that not sound completely stupid to you, Renton?

It's enough for me that he plays for us, and that I know we'll get 100% when he's on the pitch. I'm not one of these that needs him to stage a press conference where he talks exclusively about NUFC and wipes his arse on his England shirt before I'll accept him.

Honestly, some of the stuff you read on forums about Owen (and I'm not aiming this at you Renton) makes me think that NUFC fans are completely retarded.

I'm not denying he is entitled to play, hence I think Shepherd's efforts are a waste of time. Imo he's a tosser if he does play though. His loyalty should be the club who pay his wages, not England.

I still don't see the loyalty problem. If there was a clash of fixtures between club and country, maybe. But there isn't. The club's season is already over then. So, if he is fit to play football - and maybe he even got a couple of games for the club before - then I don't see how playing for the country conflicts with his club commitments.

Please explain to me how in playing for England when he is fully fit, at a time when NUFC have no games because the season is finished, he is demonstrating a lack of loyalty to his club.