Best Guitar player?

@yourservice

Kid Rock tbh. Most under rated modern musician by a country mile.

:(

Anticipated. Ever seen the guy pick up a guitar and do a solo? Have you?

He used to be in a metal band didn't he? Saw some footage on MTV once. He isn't that good or orignal in terms of his sound from what I've seen or heard.

No he never. He's a solo artist and always has been, sometimes backed by a band named Twisted Brown Trucker. Probably one of the most unique acts around in the fashion that nobody covers as many varieties of music as him, from rap, to rock, to country etc etc. You surely have to be a talented musician to be able to make the transition from such different types of music. And he is.

Must have just seen him performing, assumed he was in a band rather than doing his solo stuff. He must be talented though I agree although loads of people can play different styles. He isn't technically that good or original is he? As a guitarist that is?

As a guitarist I've seen him without his band, just him and a guitar, and think he sounds superb.

Aside from him, I agree with both Prince and Slash being immense.

No then :)

Well I consider rapping to rock guitars pretty original, and pretty unique...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He used to be in a metal band didn't he? Saw some footage on MTV once. He isn't that good or orignal in terms of his sound from what I've seen or heard.

No he never. He's a solo artist and always has been, sometimes backed by a band named Twisted Brown Trucker. Probably one of the most unique acts around in the fashion that nobody covers as many varieties of music as him, from rap, to rock, to country etc etc. You surely have to be a talented musician to be able to make the transition from such different types of music. And he is.

Significantly, I think most would dispute that he is able to make that transition tbf.

Sold over 10 million of his rock/rap album Devil Without a Cause then hit the top of the country charts with 'Picture' featuring Sheryl Crow, so no, I don't think most would dispute that.

Timmy Mallet sold a lot of records like. Do you imagine the likes of Jay-Z consider him to be a credible rap artist?

Jay Z and the likes probably only consider you a credible rapper if you're 'from da hood'. Not really a reflection on musical ability, is it?

Rap tends to be political though so that wouldnt be wholly undeserved. Perhaps he's technically competent in rap, but I'd question whether he had owt worth saying. Ie is the output actually worth the effort?

You've persuaded me on the technical competence though like I say-I'll concede that point and give credit where its due.

Guest alex

Never heard of the Beastie Boys or Run DMC then?

Different style tbh.

"Well I consider rapping to rock guitars pretty original, and pretty unique..." tbh.

Significantly, I think most would dispute that he is able to make that transition tbf.

Sold over 10 million of his rock/rap album Devil Without a Cause then hit the top of the country charts with 'Picture' featuring Sheryl Crow, so no, I don't think most would dispute that.

Timmy Mallet sold a lot of records like. Do you imagine the likes of Jay-Z consider him to be a credible rap artist?

Jay Z and the likes probably only consider you a credible rapper if you're 'from da hood'. Not really a reflection on musical ability, is it?

Rap tends to be political though so that wouldnt be wholly undeserved. Perhaps he's technically competent in rap, but I'd question whether he had owt worth saying. Ie is the output actually worth the effort?

You've persuaded me on the technical competence though like I say-I'll concede that point and give credit where its due.

He's gradually moved away from the rap scene tbh, although when he did rap it wasn't of the 'tell you how hard my life has been' style like an overwhelming number of rap artists tend to adopt. It actually made it refreshing and more uplifting to listen to than a lot of gangster rap.

Guest alex

Didn't Thompers reckon Coldplay were unique or was that someone else? If so I refuse to continue the debate :(

Guest alex

He's trailer trash anyway iirc.

Middle class raised, Dad was a car salesman.

Anyone else need straightening out on anything :)

Aye :(

Didn't Thompers reckon Coldplay were unique or was that someone else? If so I refuse to continue the debate :(

You don't sell 25 million by being 'just another indie band' to be fair.

You do it by being just another indie band that breaks America. :)

Although I do like Coldplay.

Guest alex

That's it for me then.

That's it for me then.

Was a guitarist with Bowie for awhile he was spot on (not Ronson) Carmen something :)

I hate the argument that "so many hundreds of thousands of people can't be wrong" when by virtue of american elections and WestLifes career we see that this is an entirely possible occurence

I hate the argument that "so many hundreds of thousands of people can't be wrong" when by virtue of american elections and WestLifes career we see that this is an entirely possible occurence

"People voted for Hitler and buy Coldplay, you can't trust people Jeremy"

Guest Patrokles

thompers championing three of the dullest acts in modern music; coldplay, kid rock and david gray. I'm not sure I really need to try on this one, tbf.

thompers championing three of the dullest acts in modern music; coldplay, kid rock and david gray. I'm not sure I really need to try on this one, tbf.

Even I agree with you. David Gray, fucking hell. :(

richard thompson is technically the finest guitar player i've seen. fantastic talent.

Others i rate, Johnny marr, dave navarro, joe satriani, and for all you bassists out there tom jenkinson (aka squarepusher) a fucking magician of bass guitar player....

I prefer guitarists who write for the song.

Got no time whatsoever for the widdlers of the world.

Got taught by a fella in Newmarket a few years ago and he was astonishingly good. He was a Rockabilly player from Canada and I learnt so much from him. Sadly, I am nowhere near his standard. Really enjoy the rockabilly stuff from people like Scotty Moore. Still think the hardest stuff to play is country music. Johnny Hiland is technically exceptional. John Martyn was a genius and Bert Jansch is very good indeed.

Never beat Marr or Mick Jones though!