Srnicek unhappy at Magpies exit

Scottish Mag

Pavel Srnicek has expressed his disappointment at being released by Newcastle United, but hopes to remain in English football.

The Czech keeper returned for a second spell at St James' Park last autumn and made two Premiership appearances over the Christmas period.

But he has not been offered a contract extension by new manager Sam Allardyce, leading him to look elsewhere to finish his career.

"It has been a big disappointment as I had pre-agreed with the club that I would stay for a year and then would end my football career," Srnicek told Pravo.

"Unfortunately, not everything in our lives turns out as we wish it to."

Regarding his future, Srnicek would accept dropping down divisions, providing the interested club will be challenging for promotion.

He added: "I would like to (stay in England), but at 39 it is extremely difficult.

"I cannot choose much. I must wait if someone contacts me."

On playing in the Championship or League One, he said: "I would certainly consider it.

"It would have to be, though, a high-quality club with ambitions for promotion.

"I would not like to go to a club which would be satisfied just with the fact they remain in the league."

I don't dislike Pav but he should never have come back here in the first place.

Typical Newcastle really, not good enough but it will give a few fans a cheer. Pretty much what they did with Bernard and I fell for it :D

Typical Newcastle really, not good enough but it will give a few fans a cheer. Pretty much what they did with Bernard and I fell for it :D

Well at the time it probably was sensible, either that or try and get one on loan, but then you have the whole Rossi issue.

Players just shouldn't come back once they've gone really. I'll make an exception for Nobby though.

The only player who was ever 'right' to come back to us was Beardsley.

The only reason I can fathom why Srnicek was drafted back was because of his cult status with the fans last time round. And if we're signing players on that basis, it's a fucking joke.

The only player who was ever 'right' to come back to us was Beardsley.

The only reason I can fathom why Srnicek was drafted back was because of his cult status with the fans last time round. And if we're signing players on that basis, it's a fucking joke.

We had injuries, he was available and willing, bearing in mind he'd have been 4th choice goalkeeper if everyone was fit it was an ok (not great, but ok) decision at the time.

As always it would have been better to have got better, but as always you are limited to the circumstances of the time.

We were never going to pull in a top class keeper in their prime to fill that sort of position, and even a young one without maybe some potential would have cost a fair old wack.

I can see why a new manager wouldn't give him another year though, especially if he's expecting to get everyone fit and/ok has a decent transfer kitty.

Under the circumstances it was a good decision to bring him back, he was a known performer, popular with a lot of fans, and was called upon to fill in on two occasions, and that's what he was brought in for should the occasion arise.

Good-Luck Pav.

He was brought back because Given and Krul were injured and we needed a backup. Now that they're both fit I'm not exactly sure what position he envisaged for himself at the club but clearly there wasn't a playing position here for him, I don't know why he's so surprised by the decision.

He was brought back because Given and Krul were injured and we needed a backup. Now that they're both fit I'm not exactly sure what position he envisaged for himself at the club but clearly there wasn't a playing position here for him, I don't know why he's so surprised by the decision.

Agreed, regardless of whether taking him back was the right thing to do, letting him go now is obviously the right choice.

Not as good as Krul COULD turn out to be.

I don't think Harper is as good as Krul either i hope the lad gets a chance.

ffs. Krul has only played 1 game...made some good save but his kicking was diabolical.

ffs. Krul has only played 1 game...made some good save but his kicking was diabolical.

Aye, in one game, I've only heard good reports about his reserve games but that comes from a few N-Onliner's. Kicking can be improved, he has shown from the game in Palmero that he is a good shot stopper. Harper isn't getting any better and IMO is a good backup but we have to look at Krul for the future and if he doesn't go on loan next season he should certainly be playing backup to Shay.

Aye, in one game, I've only heard good reports about his reserve games but that comes from a few N-Onliner's. Kicking can be improved, he has shown from the game in Palmero that he is a good shot stopper. Harper isn't getting any better and IMO is a good backup but we have to look at Krul for the future and if he doesn't go on loan next season he should certainly be playing backup to Shay.

Thats why the lad isn't improving he should be there on the bench and not just being rated off one performance. As for kicking you have got to imagine he will improve but can you see Harpers kicking improving?

I guess all I am saying is that i think Krul has the potential at this momentto be a better second choice.

Maybe i just hate Harper <_<

Spot on!!

We had some serious cover problems and putting him on the bench was a cheap and effective way of getting cover with soemone who knew the club, city, fans, ground etc

he was a good servant of the club but there was never a long term role here

He'll never have to buy a beer on Tyneside mind............

Reminds me very much of when KK brought Burridge back as cover...

We also brought Tommy Wright back as well, didn't we?

Tbf he played a blinder against Chelsea IIRC.

Who?? Wright??

Was an awesome keeper in his time. I remember one match down at Bristol Rovers in the Ossie era, we got absolutely battered but came away with a 0-0 thanks to Tommy <_<

Tbf he played a blinder against Chelsea IIRC.

Who?? Wright??

Was an awesome keeper in his time. I remember one match down at Bristol Rovers in the Ossie era, we got absolutely battered but came away with a 0-0 thanks to Tommy <_<

I think so, just before we beat Sheffield Wednesday 8-0.