Kanye West, His 'rant' & Katrina

Happy Face

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of Kanye West's motives, can anyone defend Bush on this one? The response has been an absolute disgrace from a country with the resources that they have. I can't help but think that if this had happened somewhere other than in a poor southern area that the response wouldn't have been a lot swifter and a lot more sympathetic. Can you see New York being left like that? Or Bush's beloved Texas?

Regardless of Kanye West's motives, can anyone defend Bush on this one?  The response has been an absolute disgrace from a country with the resources that they have. 

27847[/snapback]

The Bush fans have got that one covered - It's all liberals fault, because the mayor there is a democrat :razz:

what a total fucking cock! ' america is set up to help black people slowly, bush has given permission for soldiers to shoot black people, bush doesnt care about black people, 'my' people are suffering.' this is supposed to be a program bringing in money and help for the relief effort and he is using it as a platform to air his ridiculous views. even chris rock at the end, one of 'his people' is gobsmacked. dont think ive ever seen anyone with a bigger chip on his shoulder!

http://www.juiceenewsdaily.com/0605/news/w...l?1125709350109

Haha, he really pissed some people off yesterday by saying on a live telethon that George Bush doesn't care about black people.  :razz:

27676[/snapback]

I love how black people can be victims by association.

He's got nothing in common with those people, other than skin tone.

Kanye doesn't care about poor white people.

27766[/snapback]

You miss his whole point. If this happened in New York do you think for a second the response would have been so slow? It is predominantly black people who've been affected, rich white folk were able to leave, it's only the poorest, sickest people in danger. The inherrent racism in the US means that response has been slow, blacks are accused of looting but whites are taking stuff to survive. It's ingrained within the media. Victim by association? HE'S BLACK! I'm sure he's suffered racism a lot more than you (on the assumption you're white). I think he spoke passionately and inrtelligently. Praised the Red Cross but also got the message out of who's to blame for this.

Maybe if black people got off their arses and voted, they might get a president more sympathetic to their needs.

pdvd1505db.png

27771[/snapback]

Erm, black people do vote. But when your ballot just gets binned it kind of makes a mockery of it.

what a total fucking cock! ' america is set up to help black people slowly, bush has given permission for soldiers to shoot black people, bush doesnt care about black people, 'my' people are suffering.'  this is supposed to be a program bringing in money and help for the relief effort and he is using it as a platform to air his ridiculous views. even chris rock at the end, one of 'his people' is gobsmacked. dont think ive ever seen anyone with a bigger chip on his shoulder!

27943[/snapback]

It's one of the few times he'll ever have such a platform. The right wing American media constantly ensure that any negative bush stories are buried. To be able to bash Bush on national TV was an opportunity well used in my opinion. I think Chris Rock was as gobsmacked as anyone else watching but would heartily endorse what was said. The shock is in the fact West had the balls to say it and that he was cut to unexpectedly, not the content of what West said.

This is meant to be America, land of the free and the Army are holding people in the Superdome against their will. Having commited no crime these people are forced to remain in the stench of their decaying friends and family without food or water, rather than being allowed to walk accross a bridge to more sanitary confines.

It makes me sick and no CBS scripted shite would have brought in more money than Kanye's noble speech.

Get angry. These people run the world.

And more to the point, why the fuck bother collecting donations if your not going to let the red cross in once they've got it...

link

* Acess to New Orleans is controlled by the National Guard and local authorities and while we are in constant contact with them, we simply cannot enter New Orleans against their orders.

* The state Homeland Security Department had requested--and continues to request--that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans following the hurricane. Our presence would keep people from evacuating and encourage others to come into the city.

* The Red Cross has been meeting the needs of thousands of New Orleans residents in some 90 shelters throughout the state of Louisiana and elsewhere since before landfall. All told, the Red Cross is today operating 149 shelters for almost 93,000 residents.

:razz:

Edited by Happy Face

what a total fucking cock! ' america is set up to help black people slowly, bush has given permission for soldiers to shoot black people, bush doesnt care about black people, 'my' people are suffering.'  this is supposed to be a program bringing in money and help for the relief effort and he is using it as a platform to air his ridiculous views. even chris rock at the end, one of 'his people' is gobsmacked. dont think ive ever seen anyone with a bigger chip on his shoulder!

27943[/snapback]

You think Bush has got this one right then? Maybe the chip on his shoulder is justified?

I think Chris Rock was as gobsmacked as anyone else watching but would heartily endorse what was said. 

27972[/snapback]

It wasn't Chris Rock, it was Chris Tucker.

I guess they all look the same to you. :razz:

Poor people are the victims of the flooding, including white people.

The fact that the poor are predominantly black has been a problem long before Bush came into power.

How come the public have to raise money to help people? There always seems to be plenty money in the kitty to buy fighter planes and bunker busters.

Edited by Sicklee Sausage Roll

I think Chris Rock was as gobsmacked as anyone else watching but would heartily endorse what was said. 

27972[/snapback]

It wasn't Chris Rock, it was Chirs Tucker.

I guess they all look the same to you. :lol:

28012[/snapback]

:razz::sing::D:sing:

Kanye "Voice of the oppressed" West, admiring his Nike trainers.  :D

airforce1s7jh.jpg

28020[/snapback]

Is it not just his fucking huge rose gold chain weighing his head down? :razz:

Edited by Elric

27943[/snapback]

You think Bush has got this one right then? Maybe the chip on his shoulder is justified?

27979[/snapback]

no i think its a tragedy and has been dealt with terribly by bush. still got fuck all to do with whos black and whos white though.

27943[/snapback]

27979[/snapback]

no i think its a tragedy and has been dealt with terribly by bush. still got fuck all to do with whos black and whos white though.

28223[/snapback]

I don't like to say you're naive because I've never met you but I don't see how you can doubt there is discrimination here even if it's at the smallest level. Black & White people were left to rot, but because black people are generally poorer there were FAR more of those left. The delayed response reflects the value placed by the establishment in those people.

I'm often shocked at the racism disguised as nationalism on this and the old board, but to deny that any racism has been shown throughout this debacle is blinkered.

Kanye has had a chip on his shoulder about being black for a long time, its like he sees it as a us vs them situation.

Some of his lyrics:

"We shine because they hate us, floss cause they degrade us

We trying to buy back our 40 acres

And for that paper, look how low we a'stoop

Even if you in a Benz, you still a nigga in a coop/coupe"

"Drug dealer buy Jordans, crackhead buy crack

And a white man get paid off of all of that"

"But let some black people walk in

I bet they show off their token blackie"

"And we been hangin from the same tree ever since"

"So our mammas aint got to be they cooks and nannies

And we gonna repo everything they ever took from grammy

Now the former slaves trade hooks for grammies

This dark dixon has become America's addiction those who ain't even black use it."

"Made her sit that seat where white folks aint wanna us to eat. Racism still alive they jus be consealin it."

Yeah what happened was terrible but Kanye acts as if he lives in 1920's Mississippi, he keeps going on about racism in about 50% of his songs. As for him helping out "his" people why doesn't he get his ass down there and help? Or is he above that now? Its very easy to complain about the situation from a nice warm TV studio before he goes back to his mansion.

Kanye has had a chip on his shoulder about being black for a long time, its like he sees it as a us vs them situation.

Some of his lyrics:

"We shine because they hate us, floss cause they degrade us

We trying to buy back our 40 acres

And for that paper, look how low we a'stoop

Even if you in a Benz, you still a nigga in a coop/coupe"

"Drug dealer buy Jordans, crackhead buy crack

And a white man get paid off of all of that"

"But let some black people walk in

I bet they show off their token blackie"

"And we been hangin from the same tree ever since"

"So our mammas aint got to be they cooks and nannies

And we gonna repo everything they ever took from grammy

Now the former slaves trade hooks for grammies

This dark dixon has become America's addiction those who ain't even black use it."

"Made her sit that seat where white folks aint wanna us to eat. Racism still alive they jus be consealin it."

Yeah what happened was terrible but Kanye acts as if he lives in 1920's Mississippi, he keeps going on about racism in about 50% of his songs. As for him helping out "his" people why doesn't he get his ass down there and help? Or is he above that now? Its very easy to complain about the situation from a nice warm TV studio before he goes back to his mansion.

28424[/snapback]

I don't know this chap from Adam, couldn't even pronounce his first name but racism is still a big problem world-wide and I'm not sure there's ever a bad time to publicise that.

I actually agree with J69 that the fact that this disaster is predominantly a 'black problem' is on the surface coincidental but it does point to a much deeper problem, which is being largely ignored.

I just think the worst thing this guy has done is come through a life of racism to misinterpret a situation which could easily be interpreted how he saw it. I like how NBC have said it was self promotion yet are only interested in keeping their own image from being blemished by this. They could have dealt with this differently to minimize outrage and the cost to the relief fund.

We don't have to look so far afield to see the problem anyway, I was mortified by the way that Irish citizenship referendum played out.

I don't know this chap from Adam, couldn't even pronounce his first name but racism is still a big problem world-wide and I'm not sure there's ever a bad time to publicise that.

I actually agree with J69 that the fact that this disaster is predominantly a 'black problem' is on the surface coincidental but it does point to a much deeper problem, which is being largely ignored.

I agree that of course there is still a problem but black people in the USA have come a long way from the 1950's. The problem is allowing black people into the positions of power, because of their history they are more likely to be poorer and less well educated. To add to the problem a lot of black youths from deprived areas don't want to go the education route, they look at their role models, local drug dealer, rappers like Kanye (who isn't the worst of them) rapping about drugs and hos. They have very few positive role models to look up to and relate to.

Anyway, Kanye has been trying to highlight racism but he has been doing it in the wrong way IMO. Vilified white people and creating an "us and them" situation isn't helping. The way to do it is by trying to foster relations between both races so that racism doesn't even become an issue.

We don't have to look so far afield to see the problem anyway, I was mortified by the way that Irish citizenship referendum played out.

28432[/snapback]

I was disappointed to see that result but the situation is very different in Ireland than in places like USA and UK. Immigration into Ireland is a relatively recent trend, unlike England where it was going on throughout the 1900's. In Ireland it will take time to get used to it, there are a lot of backward people who have forgotten that the Irish prospered through emmigration. But lets not forget the Commonwealth Immigrants Act 1962 and the Immigration Act 1971 in the UK and the controversy they caused. From my experience in Ireland, in a place with a lot of economic migrants, racism isn't really a problem but it will take 30-40 years for the majority of Irish to get used to it.

I should really just leave this alone but it irks me a tad.

28424[/snapback]

Yeah what happened was terrible but Kanye acts as if he lives in 1920's Mississippi, he keeps going on about racism in about 50% of his songs.

28424[/snapback]

I'm sure he hasn't got a chip on his shoulder about 'being black' I think the chip will stem more from the racist abuse he suffers just because of his skin colour, and also that he sees other people suffering from.

I think most black people have what you call 'chip on their shoulder' and what I'd call 'an overall bitterness toward and mistrust of white America, its politics and policing' and it's perfectly reasonable to do so.

It's seen as an us against them situation as most of 'us' suffer racism more frequently than 'them'. Are you suggesting black people shut up and suffer?

As for him helping out "his" people why doesn't he get his ass down there and help? Or is he above that now? Its very easy to complain about the situation from a nice warm TV studio before he goes back to his mansion.

28424[/snapback]

Why doesn't Mike Myers or Chris Tucker go down there? They're all using their celebrity to bring money in. There's no reason he should do any more than other celebrities (he did say he's donated as much as his business manager would allow tbh (to use the parlance of this site)).

It's up to the goverment to protect it's people, all of whom were created equal. It's not the responsibility of a rapper to single handedly bail out a city. but it's good of him to draw the attention of white America to the suffering of black people, and his right to criticise the president he believes is letting down American citizens.

It's seen as an us against them situation as most of 'us' suffer racism more frequently than 'them'.  Are you suggesting black people shut up and suffer?

No I'm not saying they should "shut up and suffer" but as I said in one of my previous posts vilifying white people is not helping, celebrities like Kanye should be trying to break down the barriers rather than building them up and trying to give black people a siege mentality.

Why doesn't Mike Myers or Chris Tucker go down there?  They're all using their celebrity to bring money in.  There's no reason he should do any more than other celebrities (he did say he's donated as much as his business manager would allow tbh (to use the parlance of this site)).

It was the whole "they're MY people" that pissed me off, as if the victims are closer to him than to anyone else. Yes the majority of people hit hardest were black people but Kanye has taken the focus of the relief effort and onto racism. Now is the time to get aid to those who need it, after the situation has been sorted is the time to ask questions about whether the fact most of the victims were black contributed to delay in the rescue mission.