Sam: I know I will succeed

Scottish Mag

Sam Allardyce revealed how he is undaunted by time limits when it comes to the managerial hot seat at St James' Park.

The Newcastle United manager was reported to have just one year to get it right at Gallowgate by Mike Ashley, the man who is spearheading the multi-million pound Toon takeover.

The billionaire has apparently told close sources the United boss will have just 12 months to get Newcastle back in the Champions League before preparing the club for a serious tilt at the Premiership crown within three seasons.

But Allardyce, who officially returns from holiday tomorrow, has already admitted he knows exactly what he has to do to achieve success with the Magpies.

He told the Chronicle: "I know first and foremost I can give myself as much time as I need by winning football matches.

"I can't come into this job and not think that's the main priority.

"To win football matches you've got to build a strong culture, structure and team behind the scenes, and a strong team on the pitch.

"That does take time.

"Obviously, I'll shall need some time and a little bit of patience. Sometimes from the fans, sometimes from everybody who works at the club.

"We've got some excellent and very talented players already at the club."

United are thought to be closing in on their first summer signing with out of contract players Tal Ben Haim and Mark Viduka currently at the top of United's priority list.

Allardyce is also keen on £5m left-back Leighton Baines from Wigan and £8m striker Eidur Gudjohnsen, who is unsettled at Barcelona.

As ever, Newcastle have been linked with plenty of names from the Premiership and around the world - with Ghana midfielder Derek Boateng of Beitar Jerusalem mooted today - but the Toon boss is well aware of the type of characters required for his new task at St James' Park next term.

He added: "It's a place some players don't find comfortable, and we've got to make sure we find the players that are comfortable with that type of atmosphere and it brings the best out of them.

"We've got a lot here already, and we've just got to make sure we give them a little bit more guidance, a little bit more organisation and a bit more belief so we can start turning things around early next season.

"I've inherited hugely talented players and I've just got to try and guide them and give them the support that they need, leaving no stone unturned so they can be best prepared as they possibly can and give their best every time they run out for Newcastle United."

Hows he coming on with recruiting his backroom staff? I dont think we quite need the 28 he had at Bolton but I hope he manages to implement a similar structure that he had there.

We probably need 68.

He added: "It's a place some players don't find comfortable, and we've got to make sure we find the players that are comfortable with that type of atmosphere and it brings the best out of them.

I like that he has identified the intense nature of the scrutiny players and the team get up here, I just wish it wasn't an issue.

"I've inherited hugely talented players and I've just got to try and guide them and give them the support that they need, leaving no stone unturned so they can be best prepared as they possibly can and give their best every time they run out for Newcastle United."

I like this quote... it ticks all the right boxes, I hope it comes to fruition :blink:

If we had Ben Haim, Viduka and Baines in within the next couple of weeks that would be a good start.

It would be an immense start. :blink:

It would be outrageous by NUFC standards, identifying areas we need to improve our squad and quickly bringing in proven players for free and an up and coming player all in one go!

Lets hope it happens!

If we had Ben Haim, Viduka and Baines in within the next couple of weeks that would be a good start.

It would be an immense start. ;)

It would be outrageous by NUFC standards, identifying areas we need to improve our squad and quickly bringing in proven players for free and an up and coming player all in one go!

Lets hope it happens!

Aye and there is talk of Hyppia coming too.

Bernard, Bramble, Moore and Sib or Baines, Hyppia, Ben Haim and Viduka? :blink: Its scary the difference in class between those sets of players.

Why all the rush, rush, rush ?? :blink:;)

Didn't Rodder's leave a message telling SA to check out a player twenty seven times first?

Apolgies for being the late boy, but when I heard SA had been appointed I was a bit pissed off at the thought of Sammy Lee turning up on Tyneside. Such joy in the snake's heart when he learned the wee fella had taken the job of manager at Bolton :lol::)

Just thought of another advantage of Shepherd (hopefully) getting the boot - no more Willie McKay.

Joey Barton ;)

I think McKay being his agent is just a coincidence in that one. But we never would have signed Sibierski had he not been a McKay player, I'm sure.

funny how everyone's singing viduka's praises. quite the opposite reaction to the last time we were linked with him.

The fact he's free this time round and last time it was said it was a £5 million deal that needed Milner to be flogged in order to finance it might have something to do with it.

funny how everyone's singing viduka's praises. quite the opposite reaction to the last time we were linked with him.

The fact he's free this time round and last time it was said it was a £5 million deal that needed Milner to be flogged in order to finance it might have something to do with it.

he's a decent player when he's up for it. still doesn't change the fact that he's a fat lazy ozzie that only turns up when he fancies it.

Thats the major difference, and when you think of our squad being very thin on quality we need soem free transfers to supplement the bigger spending.

Also i wasn't exactly against Viduka in the past anyway, yes he does have problems with injuries and there's a question over his attitude over a whole season, but no questioning his proven ability in the prem.

he's a decent player when he's up for it. still doesn't change the fact that he's a fat lazy ozzie that only turns up when he fancies it.

For fuck sake Dan, if you're going to insult the man because of his nationality at least have the decency to spell it correctly.

Now repeat after me Viduka is a fat, lazy Aussie.

Ozzie was the lead singer of Black Sabbath.

Viduka is a fat, lazy Aussie.

;)cunt

For fuck sake Dan, if you're going to insult the man because of his nationality at least have the decency to spell it correctly.

Now repeat after me Viduka is a fat, lazy Aussie.

;)cunt

If you look at his albums, Ozzy was the lead singer of Black Sabbath, not Ozzie ;)