Dyer may play in defence

Tino asprilla

Kieron Dyer could be handed the right-back slot for England's Euro 2008 qualifier against Estonia on Wednesday.

The Newcastle midfielder would replace Jamie Carragher, who played there against Brazil but is set to switch to partner John Terry at centre-back.

How desperate is mcclaren? would be hilarious seeing dyer at RB trying to tackle!

I can see the reasoning behind it tbh especially for England. There is a need to be as attacking as possible against Estonia as they are shite and will keep everyone behind the ball.

It was painful on Friday night watching Carragher trying to support Beckham, he's clearly not got that in his game.

Dyer should be able to give Beckham support and an option on the overlap, his pace should also help create more space for others in the team and the obvious concern about his defensive weaknesses shouldn't really be at all exposed (especially with the cover Beckham gives).

Most really top teams have very attacking fullbacks these days many of whom have been converted from being attackers.

Whether or not it could be worked for us, especially against teams with quality on the wing remains to be seen but Nobby has taken to it like a fish to water (admittedly he already had considerably more experience there than Dyer) and that was under Roeder!

I remember him playing there away to Villa a few years back under Bobby when O'Brien got sent off and Bellamy did his hamstring. Think he ended up man of the match. Not sure how he'd handle it against a top drawer winger though.

I think he could do a decent job tbh. Let's face it, it's not like we've discovered anywhere else on the pitch where he's consistently effective. One last throw of the dice.

Guest alex

I remember him playing there away to Villa a few years back under Bobby when O'Brien got sent off and Bellamy did his hamstring. Think he ended up man of the match. Not sure how he'd handle it against a top drawer winger though.

Not many good left-wingers kncoking about anyway. And his pace would get him out of trouble. Definitely worth a try there anyway.

Not many good left-wingers kncoking about anyway. And his pace would get him out of trouble. Definitely worth a try there anyway.

Might not get done by a winger but a big centre forward at the back post certainly will.

£80K a week for a right-back who on current evidence can't tackle

Tbh I don't see the relevance of his wage. We have to pay that whether he plays or not so we might as well try and find a use for him and if that's at rightback so be it.

If we can find a buyer for him then fair enough but I'm not convinced one is forthcoming.

I don't know why people are fussed about tackling. It's a poor attribute for a footballer and imho not necessarily needed as a full back. As the saying goes, you can't play football sitting or lying on the floor. So if Dyer can make up for it with his pace this won't be a bad idea.

Dyer played quite a bit of his Ipswich career (where he made a name for himself) at right-back.

Was pretty good from all accounts.

Guest alex

Might not get done by a winger but a big centre forward at the back post certainly will.

As would countless other short-arsed full-backs. A big centre-forward should be picked up by the centre-half anyway.

I don't know why people are fussed about tackling. It's a poor attribute for a footballer and imho not necessarily needed as a full back. As the saying goes, you can't play football sitting or lying on the floor. So if Dyer can make up for it with his pace this won't be a bad idea.

He's going to run circles around them to make them dizzy and then take the ball when the fall over? :lol:

(at least until his hamstring goes again anyway)