Dyer may play in defence

Tino asprilla

I would love to see him played there all the time just to let the little shithouse know he's not good enough in midfield, his ego will be shattered.

We all know what will happen though, his hamstrings will snap, hope his fucking neck does.

I remember him playing there away to Villa a few years back under Bobby when O'Brien got sent off and Bellamy did his hamstring. Think he ended up man of the match. Not sure how he'd handle it against a top drawer winger though.

Not many good left-wingers kncoking about anyway. And his pace would get him out of trouble. Definitely worth a try there anyway.

Might not get done by a winger but a big centre forward at the back post certainly will.

As would countless other short-arsed full-backs. A big centre-forward should be picked up by the centre-half anyway.

Most full-backs are short and don't excel really well when it comes to heading and often tackling. Dyer used to play right-back quite a bit and was apparently quite good, so it's probably worth a gamble, as Beckham needs someone pacy to link up with.

as most have said, he doesn't need to be able to tackle well to be effective as a full back especially against estonia where he'll have a fair chance to run forward and partner beckham on the wing

I'm shocked to say this but, in my book, this is a pretty clever move by maclaren

Agree with people that its certainly an option trying Dyer at RB at Newcastle, though obviously we'd rather sign a top class proven RB first.

Also i think for this one game it is a decent idea by McClaren which makes a change!

I don't know why people are fussed about tackling. It's a poor attribute for a footballer and imho not necessarily needed as a full back. As the saying goes, you can't play football sitting or lying on the floor. So if Dyer can make up for it with his pace this won't be a bad idea.

I always thought tackling was the art of removing possession of the ball from an opponent, can be usefull at times IMO.

I don't know why people are fussed about tackling. It's a poor attribute for a footballer and imho not necessarily needed as a full back. As the saying goes, you can't play football sitting or lying on the floor. So if Dyer can make up for it with his pace this won't be a bad idea.

I always thought tackling was the art of removing possession of the ball from an opponent, can be usefull at times IMO.

Agreed. I preferred the Stuart Pearce type of fullback rather than failed wingers.

Depends on what your definition of "tackling" is. Removing possession and gaining own possession - I agree. Sliding across the floor and trying to boot the ball out for a throw in or something like that - sometimes useful, mostly not imho.

Depends on what your definition of "tackling" is. Removing possession and gaining own possession - I agree. Sliding across the floor and trying to boot the opponent into row Z or something like that - sometimes useful, mostly not imho.

Andy Griffin stylee

Nobby contributed greatly to our back-four last season and like Nicky Butt was one of our best players. Countless times he was there to clear the ball off the line when those other planks weren't. He's very composed, reliable and not afraid to challenge for the ball.

Kieron 'teapot' Dyer on the other hand can do a lot of running, and err.......sprinting, maybe a bit of jogging while bling blinging....!

If Dyer is to be used anywhere I'd play him up front. *tin hat on, and runs!*

Edited by Geordie Boyo

for us next season, assuming dyer is competent as an attacking fullback, I'd rotate him/solano depending on the opposition and who they'd be facing dyer for his pace supporting right wing against a fairly poor attacking side and solano when we need someone a bit more reserved going forward when playing better sides/sides with more potent wingers.

That said I'd prefer we get a proper right back in but LB and CB are more pressing matters IMO

One problem with some full backs in tackling is their tendancy to go down while tackling, as in slide in etc. Biggest problem there is you take yourself out of the game. Dyer has pace and providing he stays on his feet, could be an interesting option at RB. Going forward he could certainly be an asset. Coming back he needs to be tought about position more than tackling.

It would be interesting for us to have options at the back like that. For away from home when you want to be more defensive, you have him on the bench with a defensive RB starting, but at home if you want to be more offensive you swap to Dyer.

As someone said, his versatility is a good thing. (yeah ma, I can run in left circles AND right!).

Dyer could be a cracking player if he could put his pace to good use. Im currently bordering on had too many chances / give him one more chance.

Guest alex

Agreed. I preferred the Stuart Pearce type of fullback rather than failed wingers.

I think most people would prefer players akin to the best English left-back of the last 20+ years too. Not that many of them knocking about though tbh :lol:

I remember him playing there away to Villa a few years back under Bobby when O'Brien got sent off and Bellamy did his hamstring. Think he ended up man of the match. Not sure how he'd handle it against a top drawer winger though.

Not many good left-wingers kncoking about anyway. And his pace would get him out of trouble. Definitely worth a try there anyway.

Might not get done by a winger but a big centre forward at the back post certainly will.

As would countless other short-arsed full-backs. A big centre-forward should be picked up by the centre-half anyway.

Like that happens all of the time.

Guest alex

Like that happens all of the time.

Ideally though. Conveniently ignoring the 1st half of my post too. I don't get your point anyway. Full-backs aren't renowned for their heading ability in general.