Shearer on Bellers (again)

paddy

Updated: June 19, 2007

Shearer express opinion shocker - on Bellamy

Former Newcastle captain Alan Shearer has urged his club not to bring Craig Bellamy back to St James' Park.

Wales striker Bellamy, who had a disappointing first season with Liverpool and has been tipped to leave Anfield, has been linked with a return to Newcastle, where he and Shearer once formed a strike pairing.

Although the duo were relatively successful on the pitch, Shearer was not impressed by Bellamy's exit from the club following a bust-up with manager Graeme Souness.

And former England striker Shearer admits he was stunned to discover new Magpies boss Sam Allardyce might be interested.

'Has no-one learnt their lesson about signing Craig Bellamy?' Shearer said.

'If only (Liverpool boss) Rafa Benitez had rung me I would have told him exactly what he was like. I hope there isn't anything in (the Newcastle reports).

'I was having a few days away in France with (former Newcastle team-mates) Gary Speed and Steve Harper and the wives and I picked up the newspaper. I was having a fantastic day.

'But when I read Bellamy for Newcastle I thought I would definitely have to have another drink. I had several.'

:razz:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan Shearer's bitter feud with Craig Bellamy re-opened yesterday when he effectively sabotaged his former Newcastle colleague's hopes of returning to St James' Park.

Bellamy, seemingly surplus to requirements at Liverpool, is understood to be keen on a return to Tyneside where manager Sam Allardyce is ready to secure the Wales captain's services for £9 million.

"Has no one learned their lesson about signing him?" Shearer said. "If only Rafa Benitez had rung me, I would've told him exactly what he was like.

"I hope there isn't anything in it. It would be interesting, especially with Terry McDermott still here because there was a scuffle at Anfield when Craig and Terry were coming down the tunnel."

Shearer admitted the mere prospect of Bellamy's return at his hometown club was enough to have him drowning his sorrows.

advertisement

"I was having a few days away in France with Gary Speed and Steve Harper and the wives and I picked up a newspaper. I was having a fantastic day.

"But when I read Bellamy for Newcastle, I thought I would have to have another drink, so I had several."

Bellamy and Shearer's relationship deteriorated when abusive text messages were sent from his phone during his spell at Celtic to the Newcastle captain.

Shearer reportedly threatened to "knock his block off" if Bellamy returned to Newcastle.

Shearer confirmed he would like to start his management career at Newcastle but not yet. "I will do it one day. If I get to 50 and I look back and I haven't done it, I will regret it, but I don't know when I will do it," Shearer explained.

"I have my B badge, and my A badge I finished two months ago. There is only one place I am going to go when I do it, so I wanted to enjoy some time out."

None of your business Shearer, you don't play for us anymore, so who are you to say who should and shouldn't be playing for us?

You've never played for us, but you have opinions on who should and shouldn't play for us. :razz:

None of your business Shearer, you don't play for us anymore, so who are you to say who should and shouldn't be playing for us?

You've never played for us, but you have opinions on who should and shouldn't play for us. :razz:

Exactly, not only was Shearer a legend playing for us he's also a Newcastle United fan so is perfectly entitled to make comments on who he thinks we should and shouldn't buy. He's got it spot on imo but I suppose this story will prompt all the idiot Shearer haters to come out from under their stones and start bitching about him again - makes me sick.

The comments do appear to be a bit unnecessary, unless he's heard that it's more than just idle newspaper talk?

Not sure of the context. If they were at a talk-in or something like that, then I think they're fair enough.

Shearer should shut up as well. If he wants to warn the managment staff of Bellamy then he can do it in private, but not about the national media.

I also still think it would be better if he was learning his trade somewhere else when he steps into management and not start at Newcastle.

The comments do appear to be a bit unnecessary, unless he's heard that it's more than just idle newspaper talk?

isn't it possible he was merely answering a question put to him but some investigative journo?

Not sure of the context. If they were at a talk-in or something like that, then I think they're fair enough.

True enough, isn't he in Canada doing work for Umbro at the minute as Oliver so kindly informed us? Possible the comments were from a speech or Q&A at a corporate dinner in which case I could understand. I'd be a bit disappointed if he came out and said it to a journo.

True enough, isn't he in Canada doing work for Umbro at the minute as Oliver so kindly informed us? Possible the comments were from a speech or Q&A at a corporate dinner in which case I could understand. I'd be a bit disappointed if he came out and said it to a journo.

There's some extra stuff that goes with the quote about him being a terrible dancer or something. Going on about him trying to "throw some shapes" which makes me think it was a talk-in type thing. Also talks about storming into Gullit's office after the mackem match only to find Ferguson already there tearing a strip off him. Someone's put these other quotes up on NO.

Even if it was at a talk in or somewhere else Shearer should know that this kind of statement will find its way to the media. It creates unnecessary news and if Shearer is really wanting to do the best for the club, he should stay silent in public about this kind of things.

Is he actually on the club's payroll in his "ambassadorial" role though? If not then he's really entitled to say whatever he wants. If he is picking up a wage from the club he should be more guarded though.

Even if it was at a talk in or somewhere else Shearer should know that this kind of statement will find its way to the media. It creates unnecessary news and if Shearer is really wanting to do the best for the club, he should stay silent in public about this kind of things.

Not necessarily, he made comments about Bellamy getting new teeth but still talking shite a while ago that weren't reported, generally things said in this sort of context aren't brought up in the media.

Not necessarily, he made comments about Bellamy getting new teeth but still talking shite a while ago that weren't reported, generally things said in this sort of context aren't brought up in the media.

Ok, I will reword it into "has a good chance to find its way into the media especially during the silly season where they have nothing else to report".

I do find those comments unintelligent and unprofessional. It's nothing to do if he is on the payroll or not, it is just a case of thinking before speaking.

Edited by Isegrim

Ok, I will reword it into "has a good chance to find its way into the media especially during the silly season where they have nothing else to report".

I do find those comments unintelligent and unprofessional. It's nothing to do if he is on the payroll or not, it is just a case of thinking before speaking.

He'd not get much work as an after-dinner speaker if he stuck to the persona he had as a player and kept out all unprofessional comments. Apart from maybe in Germany. :razz:

He'd not get much work as an after-dinner speaker if he stuck to the persona he had as a player and kept out all unprofessional comments. Apart from maybe in Germany. :razz:

Pff, who wants efficiency and success anyway when you can have an ex-professional (and future manager) trying to be a poor stand-up comedian...

Edited by Isegrim