Rafa blocks Owen move

Scottish Mag

Sunday Express-

LIVERPOOL boss Rafa Benitez has rejected the chance to give England striker Michael Owen an Anfield return.

Newcastle were prepared to trade Owen for two Liverpool players – striker Craig Bellamy and left-back John Arne Riise.

But Benitez ruled out a deal for Owen, which would also have taken Bellamy back to Tyneside.

However, Owen could still be on the move – with Manchester City and Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger also interested in the 27-year-old striker.

Riise's an average left back tbh.

I think Rafa knows he can get more than the £9 million it'll take to activate Owen's release clause if he were to sell them separately.

I don't recall anyone saying we have better in our squad tbh, just that he isn't that good in the left back position, Baines is better.

Exactly, is Riise the only left back in the world all of a sudden?

He is an improvement over what we have but then Andy Todd is a better centre back than Ramage but I wouldn't be excited at the prospect of signing him either.

Thing is though, its all very well us saying why dont we just get Baines/Bridge etc, but of course that player wants to come here as well and of course it matters who else is in for that player. I would take Riise as I think he would improve what we have. But naturally there are others. I would rather have Bridge for example to name one.

Should we be turning our nsoe up at Riise? No. But if we had the option of someone better first, then of course.

Still, on the OP, would we take Bellamy and Riise for Owen?

I'd say no.

Bellamy isnt the goalscorer he likes to think he is. Id rather keep Owen and buy a decent LB.

I don't recall anyone saying we have better in our squad tbh, just that he isn't that good in the left back position, Baines is better.

Especially Baines is a player in the same mood as Riise, i.e. much better attacking wise but qith questionable defending abilities. Baines might be a better future prospect, but Riise has been a solid and reliable player in the Premierleague for several years with very few better players in this position. To call him average is ridiculous imho. I wouldn't mind either tbh.

Especially Baines is a player in the same mood as Riise, i.e. much better attacking wise but qith questionable defending abilities. Baines might be a better future prospect, but Riise has been a solid and reliable player in the Premierleague for several years with very few better players in this position. To call him average is ridiculous imho. I wouldn't mind either tbh.

Defensively I find him an average player, his tackling is poor and positionally he's all over the place, if you had to pick out a weak link in whats usually a solid Liverpool defense it's him, Baines is slightly different in that he he's good at all of the things you want from a defender, his tackling is strong, his positioning is good and he reads the game really well.

I wouldn't be against Riise coming here, it's just as far as defenders go he isn't solid enough for my liking, if we were to sign him and Baines then that would be different as Riise is more dangerous than anything we've got down the left wing atm, our options would be much better and we could get rid of both Babayaro and N'Zogbia in the process.

Defensively I find him an average player, his tackling is poor and positionally he's all over the place, if you had to pick out a weak link in whats usually a solid Liverpool defense it's him, Baines is slightly different in that he he's good at all of the things you want from a defender, his tackling is strong, his positioning is good and he reads the game really well.

I'm not going to start a long discussion here as we seem to have a totally different opinion on nearly every player. I haven't seen a lot from Baines, but I'd never come to the idea that his defensive positioning is one of his strength... B)

Edited by Isegrim

If these reports are true, then I presume we can take it that EMO has every intention of leaving us?

If he was going to stay then surely Big Sam or fatty would not be making these offers in the first place?

either that or liverpool enquired and we set a price

why is it always owens fault?

If these reports are true, then I presume we can take it that EMO has every intention of leaving us?

If he was going to stay then surely Big Sam or fatty would not be making these offers in the first place?

Like the Bent fabrication, this story is just paper talk - nothing more.