Official Wimbledon thread

Ketsbaia

I like Henman, I don't know why he gets so much stick for not having won a Grand Slam. His favourite surface is grass and he's played in the era of Sampras and then Federer. Always gives it all too.

I like him, although it's frustrating that he seems to have the ability but never the bottle to win tournements. And the hysteria surrounding him is a bit OTT, and the way commentators, Sue Barker etc go on about him is embarrasing, god knows what the likes of McEnroe must think. I realise that this isn't his fault though, he's just not that good.

I disagree, I think he falls slightly short (and has done in the past) ability-wise when it comes to winning Grand Slams. If you look at the last 14 years or whatever Kraijcek won it and so did Ivaniscevic. Other than that it's been Sampras or Federer - arguably the two best players on grass ever.

The toff fans aren't his fault either but they give a clue as to why we're so ordinary at tennis, i.e. the set-up at your average local club.

Well he's no Federer or Sampras, but think he got to match point against Ivanesavic the year he won it, the semis but bottled it.

He was spanking Ivanesavic. Had him on ropes. Then rain stopped play. Goran came out after the break a different player and took him to the cleaners. I thought that was Henmans best chance of Wimbledon.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Henman, I don't know why he gets so much stick for not having won a Grand Slam. His favourite surface is grass and he's played in the era of Sampras and then Federer. Always gives it all too.

I like him, although it's frustrating that he seems to have the ability but never the bottle to win tournements. And the hysteria surrounding him is a bit OTT, and the way commentators, Sue Barker etc go on about him is embarrasing, god knows what the likes of McEnroe must think. I realise that this isn't his fault though, he's just not that good.

I disagree, I think he falls slightly short (and has done in the past) ability-wise when it comes to winning Grand Slams. If you look at the last 14 years or whatever Kraijcek won it and so did Ivaniscevic. Other than that it's been Sampras or Federer - arguably the two best players on grass ever.

The toff fans aren't his fault either but they give a clue as to why we're so ordinary at tennis, i.e. the set-up at your average local club.

Well he's no Federer or Sampras, but think he got to match point against Ivanesavic the year he won it, the semis but bottled it.

He was spanking Ivanesavic. Had him on ropes. Then rain stopped play. Goran came out after the break a different player and took him to the cleaners. I thought that was Henmans best chance of Wimbledon.

Yeah that's the time I was thinking of, beat him 6-0 in the third, was a break up in the fourth and then the rain came down.

Just been watching the start of BBC's *spits* Wimbledon coverage.

I knew Sue Barker hadn't aged well, but FUCK ME, Tracey Austin - JEEZAZ KURIST!!

Anywyay, Tracey is doing her bit talk and says "..I hope Tim doesn't wake up stiff this morning." :huh::date::(

I like Henman as well, and last night was an excellent match. He's usually good to watch on grass Henman, but he's also frustrting as fuck. Last night summed him up, 4 match points at deuce and not finishing him off. Saying that though, Nadal is an excellent player.

Did anyone here McEnroe last night say that Sampras had seriously considered a comeback this year? :huh:

Moya got every first serve in on the four match points in fairness. He was 2-4 down and 15-40 on his own serve yet got back to get match points last night. That summed him up. Gutsy as fuck.

HENMANIA 10 - THIS TIME IT'S TENNIS!

I fucking hate Henman, he embodies everything that is bad about elitist, upper-class sport in British society.

How? Exactly.

I'm just going off my own experience when I was young playing tennis and cricket to a high standard but cos I went to the wrong school I was like a leper.

I wasn't allowed to play tennis for the local club cos my parents couldn't afford for me to join the club even though the club officials wanted me to play for them. And playing for the county at cricket I encountered some of the poshest of all school kids who were absolute arseholes.

I know this isn't Henman's fault in the slightest but for every Henman there will have been 100 kids just as good who weren't afforded the same opportunities cos they couldn't afford the extortionate fees just to play the fucknig game!

I'm just going off my own experience when I was young playing tennis and cricket to a high standard but cos I went to the wrong school I was like a leper.

I wasn't allowed to play tennis for the local club cos my parents couldn't afford for me to join the club even though the club officials wanted me to play for them. And playing for the county at cricket I encountered some of the poshest of all school kids who were absolute arseholes.

I know this isn't Henman's fault in the slightest but for every Henman there will have been 100 kids just as good who weren't afforded the same opportunities cos they couldn't afford the extortionate fees just to play the fucknig game!

Fuck me, we never even got the chance to play Tennis never mind have a Cricket team.

There's no way there are 100's of kids as good as Henman out there who lacked the opportunity like. He was in the world's top ten for years. I agree about the system being shit though. Tennis clubs are full of toffs too. Cricket is similar too up here although not as bad as tennis.

11-11 in the final set now. :blink:

BBC: "Henman Snr looks like the sort of chap whose definition of emotional contact with his son would be a handshake twice a year - once on his birthday, and once on Christmas Day."

Aaand he's through. I'm glad for him actually, it'd be great if he did well this year after everyone's written him off. But christ there are some mongs in the crowd.

Anyone who calls him talentless should watch that match. He played some blinding shots. That lob towards the end was superb.

Henman has ten times the talent of a lot of players ahead of him in the rankings. Talent has never been his problem IMO.

There's no way there are 100's of kids as good as Henman out there who lacked the opportunity like. He was in the world's top ten for years. I agree about the system being shit though. Tennis clubs are full of toffs too. Cricket is similar too up here although not as bad as tennis.

He said 100, ten a year shirley :blink:

Edited by Wacky Jnr

He said 100, ten a year shirley :blink:

My point still stands ;)

By the way, I also love the English fans who shout for the opposition when it's a Brit playing at Wimbledon. Last night you could clearly hear a really loud British bloke shouting 'Come on Moya' when the Tim chants had calmed down. :blink: