Smokers suck

Kevin Carr's Gloves

Spain is interesting I think the smoking ban came into affect a year ago. My mate who lives there says pretty much no one has paid much attention to it apart from Govt type places.

Won't happen in Italy either and the Germans have seen sense.

ONLY PRISON ISLAND GOES FORWARD.

It'll be like living in LA soon.

I thought it already had happened in Italy. Everyone went outside to smoke when I was there last summer.

It's not overtly strick in Italy apparently....Not sure. I'll call up some Italians and ask.

Lorenzo just came back from Sardinia and Genova and he didn't say anything (smoker).

So, you're making it up then? ;)

Lorenzo is Italian and his family live in Italy if he had hastles smoking I'd know about it.

Well, I'm only going off when I was there. The place I spent most of my time was one of those bar/cafe/ice cream parlour places they have there than double up as a tabacconists. It wasn't a toursity place and it was full of locals. I watched a fair few World Cup matches there. No one smoked. I didn't see anyone else smoking in similar places. I would have thought a small place full of locals in a part of Umbria where there weren't many tourists would have been a place that flouted the ban if anywhere did. Especially when it was full of all the local geezers watching Italia play. Maybe it wasn't an issue for you mate with it being summer anyway, i.e. sitting outdoors all the time.

There was no indoor smoking when I was in Rome last year either. Mind, it was too hot to be indoors.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's odd that the German's having banned smoking yet, and the Irish have. Quiz, who said words to the effect:

In Germany, anything that is not permitted is forbidden.

In England, anything that is not forbidden is permitted.

In Ireland, you can do what the fuck you want.

?

They have banned it, but it's a partial one.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/13/news/smoke.php

http://www.smokersclubinc.com/modules.php?...le&sid=3522

Edited by Parky

From above link:

German parliament approves partial ban on smoking in federal buildings, transport

May 26, 2007

BERLIN (AP) _ German lawmakers on Friday approved a smoking ban on public transport and in federal buildings, including the parliament, although the plan allows for special rooms to be set aside for smokers.

The legislation, which is to take effect Sept. 1, also features a ban on cigarette sales to under-18s _ raising the age limit from the current 16.

The lower house of parliament approved the plan with the votes of Chancellor Angela Merkel's «grand coalition» and the opposition Left Party. Two other opposition parties abstained.

It still needs approval from the upper house of parliament, where the government also has a majority.

Over recent months, Germany _ traditionally one of Europe's most nicotine-friendly countries _ has been moving tentatively toward curbs on smoking, although its rules appear set to fall well short of more draconian measures being implemented elsewhere in Europe.

A fat tax is a fucking stupid idea too btw.

of course is it if you take it at face value, but the ideal is a noble one

How does it work then?

the aim is to make it harder and more expensive to continute an unhealthy lifestyle, and easier and cheaper to eat healthy and exercise.

how you get there is a problem for people who don't dick about on internet message forums all day ;)

and Renton a "Fat Tax" is a stupid notion because it's impossible to rgulate a true "tax" but that label was invented by someone who wanted to have a snappy title and didn't think people would take it literally. It's just a name for a resolution to this country's growing obesity problem.

Guest alex

How does it work then?

the aim is to make it harder and more expensive to continute an unhealthy lifestyle, and easier and cheaper to eat healthy and exercise.

how you get there is a problem for people who don't dick about on internet message forums all day ;)

and Renton a "Fat Tax" is a stupid notion because it's impossible to rgulate a true "tax" but that label was invented by someone who wanted to have a snappy title and didn't think people would take it literally. It's just a name for a resolution to this country's growing obesity problem.

I've got an idea: free limitless energy that creates no harmful emissions. I'll leave the details to someone else.

How does it work then?

I've got an idea: free limitless energy that creates no harmful emissions. I'll leave the details to someone else.

Poor old Tesla. ;)

yes ... cos that's the same ;)

it's a daunting task to u-turn this country, but the levels of rank food that are digested yearly is fucking awful. That's why the kids are fat, the workforce listless. Get people healthy and I guarantee you'll see a turn around in the behaviour of the young people, which will have a positive knock on effect to the rest of us.

so rather than taking "fat tax" as a taxation on chunky mother fuckers, see the goal for what it is. It's a label that's been attached to the growing concern that this country is wallowing in it's own chip butties

Guest alex

Foods with high levels of fats, salt, sugar etc could be taxed.

Processed food could be taxed. Food made with a certain quantity of harmful e-numbers could be taxed.

No?

Aye. Taxing the poor like.

Processed food could be taxed. Food made with a certain quantity of harmful e-numbers could be taxed.

No?

The trouble is that some foodstuffs that are high in those things are actually not that bad for you, but some foods that haven't the normal indicators can be very bad for you. Which why I said that the "tax" cannot be a direct levy

Guest alex

it's a daunting task to u-turn this country, but the levels of rank food that are digested yearly is fucking awful. That's why the kids are fat, the workforce listless. Get people healthy and I guarantee you'll see a turn around in the behaviour of the young people, which will have a positive knock on effect to the rest of us.

so rather than taking "fat tax" as a taxation on chunky mother fuckers, see the goal for what it is. It's a label that's been attached to the growing concern that this country is wallowing in it's own chip butties

My point was, it's not an idea without some sort of plan for how you bring something about. You might as well say 'make everyone healthier'. It's a given nearly everybody would want that, it just isn't easy.

No?

Quite right, i was just thinking about whether it was practical.

You could try to levy the tax on the producers though, which would be bad politically with the global corporations who supply food but could work if they were encouraged to come up with cheaper healthier alternatives.

No?

....and we come full circle to smokers. ;)

My point was, it's not an idea without some sort of plan for how you bring something about. You might as well say 'make everyone healthier'. It's a given nearly everybody would want that, it just isn't easy.

aye, but I've always said that it's not easy, and that the whole term "fat tax" leads to misinterpretation. The aim is to somehow punish unhealthy living and reward healthy living. A simple premise but nigh on impossible to enforce without contravening any number of civil and corporate liberties.

the only way I can think is that people who go in for those handy life saving operations to reduce the strain on their lard caked heart, they should be forced to attend diet and exercise classes for... oh lets say 7 years before they get one.

* if you take that last paragraph as my full and frank opinion you're clearly an idiot.

Guest alex

No?

You could try to levy the tax on the producers though, which would be bad politically with the global corporations who supply food but could work if they were encouraged to come up with cheaper healthier alternatives.

I wasn't saying it would be a bad thing necessarily but people/families on lower incomes would be hit. Mind, while I am all for helping people make the right choices I hate the attitude in this country where it's always someone else's fault. US blame culture only 10-20 years behind. If you're overweight, do something about it. Don't fucking sue Burger King.

No?

Plus you're fucked on the evidence front. Legal nightmare.

No?

I wasn't saying it would be a bad thing necessarily but people/families on lower incomes would be hit. Mind, while I am all for helping people make the right choices I hate the attitude in this country where it's always someone else's fault. US blame culture only 10-20 years behind. If you're overweight, do something about it. Don't fucking sue Burger King.

Blatant sly dig at Fish tbh....any need ;)

No?

...to think only a few years ago they were eating lard on toast. ;)

Guest alex

No?

Bread and dripping anyway. ;)

No?

Bread and dripping anyway. :icon_lol:

My German nanny used to make me drink pints of cream. ;)

:icon_lol:

The latest health spa craze is a radioactive bath in the Czech republic. ;)

*Parky goes in for a dip holding a pint of cream and a lit B&H. ;)

Edited by Parky

No?

:P

You had a nanny? Blatantly a bit posh :icon_lol:

No?

:icon_lol:

She was such a naughty nanny, you sure it was cream

No?

:P

So posh. :icon_lol: