Smokers suck

Kevin Carr's Gloves

I wasn't saying it would be a bad thing necessarily but people/families on lower incomes would be hit. Mind, while I am all for helping people make the right choices I hate the attitude in this country where it's always someone else's fault. US blame culture only 10-20 years behind. If you're overweight, do something about it. Don't fucking sue Burger King.

I first read this to mean a levy on fatties is someone blaming them? pretty sure that's not what you meant.

I agree, the litigious society that is coming our way fast is imo a result of Thatchers Britain. Where it was more what my country can do for me, than anything else.

I think this nanny state whereby the government interferes in our personal choices is a the price we're paying for that era.

At the minute El Chunko can't be trusted to make the right decision himself, so Nanny is stepping in. Not remotely a good thing, butif it takes punishment to get them off the sofa and into the fresh air, eating an apple instead of swigging a special brew, then it's a price I'm willing to pay.

Edited by The Fish

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foods with high levels of fats, salt, sugar etc could be taxed.

Processed food could be taxed. Food made with a certain quantity of harmful e-numbers could be taxed.

No?

Aye. Taxing the poor like.

Plus you're fucked on the evidence front. Legal nightmare.

The relationship between dietary fats and CVD, especially coronary heart disease, has been extensively investigated, with strong and consistent associations emerging from a wide body of evidence accrued from animal experiments, as well as observational studies, clinical trials and metabolic studies conducted in diverse human populations...Saturated fatty acids raise total and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol...The most effective replacement for saturated fatty acids in terms of coronary heart disease outcome are polyunsaturated fatty acids, especially linoleic acid. This finding is supported by the results of several large randomized clinical trials, in which replacement of saturated and trans fatty acids by polyunsaturated vegetable oils lowered coronary heart disease risk.

– World Health Organization, Population nutrient intake goals for preventing diet-related chronic diseases,5.4.4

Guest alex

I wasn't saying it would be a bad thing necessarily but people/families on lower incomes would be hit. Mind, while I am all for helping people make the right choices I hate the attitude in this country where it's always someone else's fault. US blame culture only 10-20 years behind. If you're overweight, do something about it. Don't fucking sue Burger King.

I first read this to mean a levy on fatties is someone blaming them? pretty sure that's not what you meant.

I agree, the litigious society that is coming our way fast is imo a result of Thatchers Britain. Where it was more what my country can do for me, than anything else.

I think this nanny state whereby the government interferes in our personal choices is a the price we're paying for that era.

At the minute El Chunko can't be trusted to make the right decision himself, so Nanny is stepping in. Not remotely a good thing, butif it takes punishment to get them off the sofa and into the fresh air, eating an apple instead of swigging a special brew, then it's a price I'm willing to pay.

No I meant fat / unhealthy people need to look at themselves and not blame food companies etc. for being fat. Most people know what is healthy and what isn't, they just make unhealthy choices and you can't really change that imo. Or you can but I'd rather stick with freedom of choice.

Spain is interesting I think the smoking ban came into affect a year ago. My mate who lives there says pretty much no one has paid much attention to it apart from Govt type places.

Won't happen in Italy either and the Germans have seen sense.

ONLY PRISON ISLAND GOES FORWARD.

It'll be like living in LA soon.

I thought it already had happened in Italy. Everyone went outside to smoke when I was there last summer.

It's not overtly strick in Italy apparently....Not sure. I'll call up some Italians and ask.

Lorenzo just came back from Sardinia and Genova and he didn't say anything (smoker).

So, you're making it up then? ;)

Lorenzo is Italian and his family live in Italy if he had hastles smoking I'd know about it.

Lorenzo is blatantly Parky's house boy. ;)

Now that I've caught up on the thread and discovered Parky had a nanny, I'm even more convinced that Lorenzo is his house boy. ;)

;)

This is coming from experience, right?

Now that I've caught up on the thread and discovered Parky had a nanny, I'm even more convinced that Lorenzo is his house boy. ;)

He wears a little silver pistol on a chain the gay busboy that he is. ;)

fuckin hell...is this STILL ranting on ;)

Urgh what's that smell? Oh it's YOU smoking beehatch! ;)

I have been outside ....so fuck YOU...Ginge :icon_lol:

Urgh what's that smell? Oh it's YOU smoking beehatch! ;)

You're still lifting smoking beehatch! Urgh! *holds nose*

Urgh what's that smell? Oh it's YOU smoking beehatch! :icon_lol:

You're still lifting smoking beehatch! Urgh! *holds nose*

;) whatever....

First important point is that the largest study ever undertaken on smoking was a passive smoking study in LA which used data from over 100,000 people. The original Doll study which proved the link between smoking and cancer only had 30,000. That is to do with statistical power and the incidence of the event under investigation. Whatever, the passive smoking study showed no increased risk of smoking related illness through exposure to passive smoking.

Banning smoking from public houses for the convenience of workers who dont like the smell or for 'cosmetic' reasons is akin to banning fish from fish and chip shops because the staff smell of fish.

Source? Who funded the study? My old professor once conducted a meta-analysis on passive smoking and came to the same conclusion. The fact he was funded by BAT had no bearing whatsoever.....

From any rational viewpoint, it is glaringly obvious that the particulate matter present in passive smoke will increase the risk of a huge range of respiratory diseases. The only question that can be debated is by how much, and you know as well as I do this question can't be resolved ethically by any controlled trials.

Your point about "cosmetic" reason is invalid too I'm afraid. The majority of people don't smoke, and believe me, it's pretty disgusting if you don't. You end up stinking of it which can make you feel nausous.

The issue is that it is so small that it's effectively non-existent in "normal" exposure. You've either got to be exposed a lot for very long periods, or be part of a specific group.

Smoking has a lot of harmful effects, but SHS for the vast majority of non-smokers just isn't a health issue, the scare tactics and lies, are a smokescreen if you will. ;)

I love the way people get so high and mighty about smoking. I'm for the ban because I think it's a bit selfish to expect other people to breathe your smoke but the way some non-smokers treat smokers as pariahs in hilarious imo. Must be nice being so perfect that you can judge others so unequivocally I suppose.

Shit!

I find myself agreeing with you

;);)

Guest alex

I love the way people get so high and mighty about smoking. I'm for the ban because I think it's a bit selfish to expect other people to breathe your smoke but the way some non-smokers treat smokers as pariahs in hilarious imo. Must be nice being so perfect that you can judge others so unequivocally I suppose.

Shit!

I find myself agreeing with you

:icon_lol:;)

Aye well, I sometimes agree with you too. ;)

Just went to buy some tabs and the wifey behind the counter puts on a plastic glove to get them off the shelf! :pray:

I know smokers are lepers, but Jesus wept.

Sure the plastic glove wasn't to receive the money, after taking one look at you ????

Should have asked for a wank whilst she had it on, I would of. Bet she wouldn't do it again, then again you'd probably get locked up for saying that nowadays.

Sad days when you can't even ask a shop attendant for a pocket rocket.

Just went to buy some tabs and the wifey behind the counter puts on a plastic glove to get them off the shelf! :pray:

Sure the plastic glove wasn't to receive the money, after taking one look at you ????

Har-de-har mother fucker.

She removed the glove to complete the transaction thankyou.

Har-de-har mother fucker.

She removed the glove to complete the transaction thankyou.

<_<:)

Anyway, RDRR (Simpsons).

Guest alex

I heard some local authorities are trying to stop people smoking in parks. I hope that's a wind-up but I fear it may be true :icon_lol:

So a week in, whats peoples views of it then? Ive only been to one pub during the time so cant really comment however walking through town its evident that bars are putting a seat or two outside for those that want a tab. The eye on the tyne even has a box of umbrellas in case its raining.