Alan Smith signs 5 year deal

2bias

SSN just showed a very brief interview with Smith, looks like they sneaked up on him outside a shop.

He said all going well he'll sign tomorrow morning.

Hope its not greggs

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a couple of my mates (who are leeds fans) say when he was playing for leeds he did everything except put the ball in the net very regularly.

as a forward he has good movement , reasonable mobility ( not that quick) and occasional touches of class. as a midfielder his passing is not good enough neither his timing of tackles.

if i had 6m spare i'd try to buy heinze from man utd. suits us as he's a player we need and someone who'd improve the team.

smith will not do that.

Why would Heinze come to us when we can't offer him European football? Unlikely to choose NUFC over liverpoo and Madrid wouldn't you say?

So weve either signed him as a 7th striker or as a 4th non flair midfielder with barton, geremi and butt.

He likes his no nonsense midfielders but is it going to make for attractive or attacking football or are we going to start playing sideways and backwards?

Smith joins Newcastle as injury-hit Dyer heads to Hammers

By Michael Walker

Published: 03 August 2007

Alan Smith will be unveiled as a Newcastle United player today, the Manchester United striker-cum-midfielder arriving on Tyneside for £6m just as Kieron Dyer departs for West Ham for a similar fee.

It is understood West Ham last night requested further documentation from Newcastle regarding Dyer's injury history, but it is not thought this is a sign the deal is in jeopardy. Dyer should be announced as a West Ham player today.

However, Sam Allardyce's priority is defence and the Newcastle manager is likely to be equally enthused by the prospect of signing Brazilian centre-half Capaca from Lyon. Known as Claudio Capaca in Lyon's Champions League literature, the 31 year-old has been at the club since last weekend undergoing medical evaluation and is set to join on a free transfer.

Another defender, Seville's Ivica Dragutinovic, continues to be linked in Spain with a move to St James' Park.

Dragutinovic can either play left-sided centre-half or left-back. As such he would be valuable to Allardyce, who is facing an opening day trip to his former club Bolton tomorrow week without Celestine Babayaro.

Michael Owen is another doubt for Bolton, so yesterday's developments were welcome news for Allardyce who has become frustrated by Newcastle's progress in the transfer market, especially on a day when Joey Barton was charged by Manchester police with assault following an alleged attack on his then Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo in May.

"I am hoping that the Alan Smith deal will go through today," Allardyce said. "He has other clubs to consider and I am hoping we are top of his list." It is understood that Smith has informed Middlesbrough, one of those other clubs, that he is not going to Teesside. That will come as a blow to Boro, who have already seen Mark Viduka move to Newcastle, and manager Gareth Southgate is bracing himself for a sizeable offer from Portsmouth for Yakubu Aiyegbeni.

Of Capaca, Allardyce added:"He is a top player and we will be delighted if we can pull this off. He has been captain of Lyon for the past five years and for every one of those five years they won the French title, so obviously he has a lot of Champions League experience. That's why we are hoping that everything goes OK with his medical and that we can agree a deal."

Allardyce also received reassuring news from his new chairman Chris Mort yesterday. In dismissing a rumour about Kevin Keegan returning to St James' in a director of football capacity, Mort offered Allardyce his support again.

Mort revealed that he has met Alan Shearer but only in Shearer's role as an ambassador for the club.

"Yes, I have just met Alan Shearer and I have to say that he is doing a fabulous job as an ambassador. That's what we talked about, and we have several things lined up which we would like him to do so he can carry on his great work.

"I am sure that while Alan may have ambitions to be manager of his club one day, he would probably say that he is not looking to do it at this moment in time. And there is certainly no truth in any reports that we are looking to bring him in as a manager."

Barton, meanwhile, will appear at Trafford Magistrates' Court next Thursday.

So weve either signed him as a 7th striker or as a 4th non flair midfielder with barton, geremi and butt.

He likes his no nonsense midfielders but is it going to make for attractive or attacking football or are we going to start playing sideways and backwards?

Thing is mind, from what I have seen of Geremi pre season, he is very hard working both at defending and going forward. Seems to like to have a crack at goal as well and has a pretty good eye for it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24dyl_alan-smith_sport

A decent video of some of his best goals and worst tackles. :blush:

:lol: Seriously though I know Isegrim scoffs at it, but I love someone who hoys themselves in every now and again. We'll certainly not be a soft touch. The foul at the end is class where he tries to tell the ref he won the ball. :icon_lol:

Some of those tackles man. ;)

A decent video of some of his best goals and worst tackles. ;)

:lol: Seriously though I know Isegrim scoffs at it, but I love someone who hoys themselves in every now and again. We'll certainly not be a soft touch. The foul at the end is class where he tries to tell the ref he won the ball. :blush:

Aye, I love someone who constantly gives away silly free kicks and picks up yellow cards by not staying on their feet.

A decent video of some of his best goals and worst tackles. ;)

:lol: Seriously though I know Isegrim scoffs at it, but I love someone who hoys themselves in every now and again. We'll certainly not be a soft touch. The foul at the end is class where he tries to tell the ref he won the ball. :blush:

Aye, I love someone who constantly gives away silly free kicks and picks up yellow cards by not staying on their feet.

Aye, I love people who think that that's all he has to his game.

I'm not saying that's all he has but you said you love him putting himself about which usually leads to conceding free kicks and that surely isn't a good thing?

It's not like he's gonna be doing that all game though is it? But if there's someone on the opposition side who thinks he's Billy Big Bollocks, I don't think it hurts to have a Smith or a Barton on your side who'll clatter them if they get out of line.

He got more yellow cards than goals at Leeds. FACT.

Apparently him and Viduka formed a 70+ goal partnership over 90 games at Leeds as well. So not all bad eh?

Is there anything to back that up or is it just what some fella on N-O said? I'd say it's also likely that Viduka got the majority of those goals.

He got more yellow cards than goals at Leeds. FACT.

Apparently him and Viduka formed a 70+ goal partnership over 90 games at Leeds as well. So not all bad eh?

Is there anything to back that up or is it just what some fella on N-O said? I'd say it's also likely that Viduka got the majority of those goals.

So you firstly question the veracity of the statistics, but then go on to say that IF they are correct, that Viduka will have got most of them. :lol: You really are going out of your way to be negative, aren't you!?? ;)

Oh and well done on avoiding admitting that the fact could well be complete bollocks.

In the initial response that I typed, I admitted that it mightn't be true, but that it wouldn't surprise me if it was - 70 goals in 90 games between two players is a good partnership, but not totally unbelievable or anything. But I opted instead to take the piss out of the fact that even though you don't believe the stats, you believe that Viduka scored more of the "imaginary" goals than Smith. Just because you've got a downer on the bloke.

Oh and well done on avoiding admitting that the fact could well be complete bollocks.

In the initial response that I typed, I admitted that it mightn't be true, but that it wouldn't surprise me if it was - 70 goals in 90 games between two players is a good partnership, but not totally unbelievable or anything. But I opted instead to take the piss out of the fact that even though you don't believe the stats, you believe that Viduka scored more of the "imaginary" goals than Smith. Just because you've got a downer on the bloke.

Well Smith's 38 league goals in 172 league appearances leads me to believe that Viduka scored the majority of goals in their partnership.

Well Smith's 38 league goals in 172 league appearances leads me to believe that Viduka scored the majority of goals in their partnership.

Yeah but you've only just checked that now. Before you were just making the assumption cos you don't like the bloke. I'm not really arsed though tbh, I just think some people would do well to give a player a chance before just having a massive downer on them. For me, if a player comes here, I'll look on them positively until they give me a reason to do otherwise in a black and white shirt.