Alan Smith signs 5 year deal

2bias

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No I was making the assumption on the basis that it's a well known fact that he isn't a prolific goal scorer, neither is he a good midfielder.

He has been the latter before. Not in central midfield for Man Utd very often admittedly.

Oh and well done on avoiding admitting that the fact could well be complete bollocks.

In the initial response that I typed, I admitted that it mightn't be true, but that it wouldn't surprise me if it was - 70 goals in 90 games between two players is a good partnership, but not totally unbelievable or anything. But I opted instead to take the piss out of the fact that even though you don't believe the stats, you believe that Viduka scored more of the "imaginary" goals than Smith. Just because you've got a downer on the bloke.

Well Smith's 38 league goals in 172 league appearances leads me to believe that Viduka scored the majority of goals in their partnership.

Yeah but you've only just checked that now. Before you were just making the assumption cos you don't like the bloke. I'm not really arsed though tbh, I just think some people would do well to give a player a chance before just having a massive downer on them. For me, if a player comes here, I'll look on them positively until they give me a reason to do otherwise in a black and white shirt.

Why should everyone change his opinion on a player just because he becomes a Newcastle player? I guess everybody will wish the player doing well and hope to get proven wrong, but you can't expect people getting excited about signing a player they don't rate. :lol:

Oh and well done on avoiding admitting that the fact could well be complete bollocks.

In the initial response that I typed, I admitted that it mightn't be true, but that it wouldn't surprise me if it was - 70 goals in 90 games between two players is a good partnership, but not totally unbelievable or anything. But I opted instead to take the piss out of the fact that even though you don't believe the stats, you believe that Viduka scored more of the "imaginary" goals than Smith. Just because you've got a downer on the bloke.

Well Smith's 38 league goals in 172 league appearances leads me to believe that Viduka scored the majority of goals in their partnership.

Yeah but you've only just checked that now. Before you were just making the assumption cos you don't like the bloke. I'm not really arsed though tbh, I just think some people would do well to give a player a chance before just having a massive downer on them. For me, if a player comes here, I'll look on them positively until they give me a reason to do otherwise in a black and white shirt.

so you're saying you don't judge a new player until he plays for newcastle? and you didn't, for example, make scathing comments about the likes of sibierksi and bernard last season before they'd played a game for us?

obviously more people rate smith than those two, but there's nowt wrong with expressing an opinion on a player you don't think a wise purchase. otherwise what's the point of this forum?

i'm surprised at how many people have accused me of being overly pessimistic recently. i'm optimistic when there's good reason to be. i just find it hard to get too excited about buying the likes of alan smith. and that's not to say i'm having massive downer on him and want him to fail. i hope he proves me wrong and scores a shitload of goals for us. i just can't see it happening.

so you're saying you don't judge a new player until he plays for newcastle? and you didn't, for example, make scathing comments about the likes of sibierksi and bernard last season before they'd played a game for us?

obviously more people rate smith than those two, but there's nowt wrong with expressing an opinion on a player you don't think a wise purchase. otherwise what's the point of this forum?

i'm surprised at how many people have accused me of being overly pessimistic recently. i'm optimistic when there's good reason to be. i just find it hard to get too excited about buying the likes of alan smith. and that's not to say i'm having massive downer on him and want him to fail. i hope he proves me wrong and scores a shitload of goals for us. i just can't see it happening.

I'm surprised you're surprised :lol:

Sibierski and Bernard were special cases tbh. Very special. :lol:

Sam nets star pair

Aug 3 2007

by Paul Gilder, The Journal

SAM Allardyce’s transfer market frustrations are expected to be eased this morning as the Newcastle boss prepares to confirm Claudio Caçapa and Alan Smith as his latest summer signings.

The pair were last night undergoing medicals following successful transfer talks at St James’s Park and both deals are believed to be close to completion.

Smith will join Newcastle as a replacement for West Ham-bound Kieron Dyer after Manchester United accepted a £6m offer and the versatile 26-year-old turned down the chance to join Middlesbrough.

Caçapa will add much-needed experience to a depleted defence – with the Brazilian set to complete a free transfer from Olympique Lyonnais, providing that a medical examination does not reveal problems with the 31-year-old’s fitness.

That a breakthrough is imminent will come as a huge relief to Allardyce, who has gone a month without making a signing following Geremi’s arrival from Chelsea. In that time, injuries have ravaged a small first-team squad – with 10 senior players having succumbed to various fitness problems during a troubled pre-season programme.

The United boss’ problems deepened following yesterday’s news that Joey Barton has been charged with assault in relation to last season’s alleged fracas with Ousmane Dabo, at that time a team-mate, at Manchester City’s training ground. The United midfielder will appear in court next week.

Allardyce had little time to dwell on the matter having scheduled meetings with Smith and Caçapa. The Newcastle manager this week told The Journal that Smith was not on his wanted list, but the England international seems certain to become his fifth signing at St James’s Park.

“Not everything is sorted yet, but if everything goes right, maybe (it will be) in the morning,” admitted Smith, who spent last night in the North-East. Magpies officials have indicated a deal should be completed in time for the Yorkshireman to train with Newcastle this morning and, should all go according to plan, he is expected to make his debut alongside former Leeds team-mate Mark Viduka in Sunday’s pre-season game against Sampdoria.

Whether Caçapa is also involved remains to be seen, with Allardyce admitting a player who has been without a club since leaving Lyon this summer will need time to work on his fitness.

Although little-known to Premier League audiences, Caçapa’s pedigree is beyond question following a distinguished career in France. During his six seasons at Stade de Gerland, the South American won five successive league titles and captained his club.

Caçapa has also played 31 times in the Champions League and his vast experience will be a major asset at St James’s Park. Allardyce’s squad is short on seasoned stoppers and, having discovered the player was available, was quick to make his interest known.

Panathinaikos and the Qatari club Al-Rayyan were also interested, although Caçapa is keen to test his talents in the Premier League. “Our fans shouldn’t be put off by the fact they might not have heard of Caçapa,” said Allardyce. “He’s a top player and we will be delighted if we can pull this off. We regard him as a big capture.” Despite last night’s developments, the search for defensive talent goes on – although Allardyce will reassess his targets, having been offered little encouragement in his attempts to sign Gretar Steinsson and Abdoulaye Faye.

AZ Alkmaar officials have rejected a bid for Steinsson that is considered risible at the DSB Stadion, while Faye’s future appears to lie at the Reebok Stadium. Sources in the North-West revealed Allardyce has offered £500,000 for a player he brought to the Premier League two seasons ago. Bolton’s response has been to reject the bid and offer the Senegal international an improved contract. FC Copenhagen’s Brede Hangeland and Sevilla’s Ivica Dragutinovic remain on United’s wanted list.

Dyer’s £6m move to Upton Park is expected to be completed this morning. The 28-year-old has agreed personal terms with West Ham, although the transfer remains dependent on the results of the medical examination he underwent yesterday morning.

Meanwhile, West Ham are expected to announce today they will release Carlos Tevez from his contract and registration after they agreed a deal with his representatives, allowing the striker to pursue a move to Manchester United.

clicky

Caçapa

Caçapa

Hes Canny

You having to copy n paste that dodgy "c" as well ;)

or is it just me :lol:

Say Caçapa, Caçapa

Whatever will be will be

He's in the toon you see

Say Caçapa, Caçapa

God I wish today would hurry up if Im resorting to making ditties about players we aint even signed yet...

Caçapa

Caçapa

Hes Canny

You having to copy n paste that dodgy "c" as well :blush:

or is it just me :lol:

Say Caçapa, Caçapa

Whatever will be will be

He's in the toon you see

Say Caçapa, Caçapa

God I wish today would hurry up if Im resorting to making ditties about players we aint even signed yet...

i just wish some proper news would come out of someone actually putting pen to paper!

so can we really expect baines, smith, cacapa, that drag fella, dede, delaney, boukary something or other all to sign this afternoo then? ;)

Despite what the moaning minnies think, I reckon he could go on to become a fans favourite.

Scoring a few goals, putting in the odd reducer and working 100% for the entire game ticks all the right boxes.

Guess Barton is losing his number 7 then? or is that all they had left over?

ALAN Smith has completed his £6m move to Newcastle United.

The Magpies agreed a fee with Manchester United earlier this week and Smith has now agreed personal terms.

He has signed a five-year deal and will wear the No 17 shirt.