'Smile' - Lily Allen

'Supermassive Black Hole' - Muse

'Up All Night' - Matt Willis

'Valentine' - The Delays

'Who Am I?' - Will Young

I'm hoping for the Stevens to win it.

161471[/snapback]

Biology for me easy.

I'd love to kill that Matt Willis. What a wanker, absolutely shite music to boot.

• 11 months later...
The shortlist for the 2007 Mercury Music Prize has been announced.

The winner is to be revealed on 4 September and will be presented with a cheque for £20,000.

You can find out more about the nominated artists and watch them perform by clicking on the links below.

1. Arctic Monkeys

2. Dizzee Rascal

3. Fionn Regan

4. Jamie T

5. Klaxons

6. The Young Knives

7. Bat for Lashes

8. Maps

9. New Young Pony Club

10. Basquiat Strings

11. The View

12. Amy Winehouse

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6903225.stm

That Amy Winehouse thing has reminded me of something a mackem sent me. Nyron Nosworthy stood on the pitch on what I assume is Sunderland's post-season pitch celebrations, singing "They tried to take the ball past Nyron..." and then it cuts to the crowd singing "....but he said nooooo, nooooo, nooooo". It's quality. :razz:

Edited by Gemmill

Guest Patrokles
Who cares?

It would seem that quite a lot of people do, they have this big ceremony to give the winner their prize. :razz:

A lot of people watch Big Brother and listen to Radio 1, too. :razz:

Who cares?

It would seem that quite a lot of people do, they have this big ceremony to give the winner their prize. :razz:

So it would seem that those people do care then, just you don't? :razz:

Guest Patrokles
Who cares?

So it would seem that those people do care then, just you don't? :(

Their opinion is irrelevent, they watch Big Brother, listen to Radio 1 and worry about who's nominated for the Mercury Music Prize. :razz:

Who cares?

So it would seem that those people do care then, just you don't? :razz:

I think it was a rhetorical quesion.

Guest Patrokles

No, but seriously. What does it matter who wins? It shouldn't change anyone's opinion of them. If you like someone's music, you should and will like it regardless of any awards they get. It's not even as though any of these bands need any extra publicity or whatnot. I'd be more impressed if it was bringing bands to the attention of the general public who weren't already firmly entrenched in the popular consciousness. That's what I used to do in Fopp. :razz:

Well I don’t believe in them!

What? Rhetorical questions? Women are the masters of them. You normally learn that via your mother I reckon.

No, but seriously. What does it matter who wins? It shouldn't change anyone's opinion of them. If you like someone's music, you should and will like it regardless of any awards they get. It's not even as though any of these bands need any extra publicity or whatnot. I'd be more impressed if it was bringing bands to the attention of the general public who weren't already firmly entrenched in the popular consciousness. That's what I used to do in Fopp. :razz:

That's more what this used to about, isn't it?

Right then who is up for nomination in the Patrokles Prize 2007?

Well I don’t believe in them!

What? Rhetorical questions? Women are the masters of them. You normally learn that via your mother I reckon.

I learnt them from my sister. Saying that it's her birthday today. I did get her a present but won't bother sending it home, she will just have to wait till next time i see her or my parents so that it can get dropped off.

Edited by khay

It doesn't matter who wins. Just thought it might make a canny discussion.

I'll bet you half the people on here haven't heard of half the artists short listed.

So it's serving it's purpose of giving exposure to smaller selling artists by lumping them in with popular ones.

The Fopp that recently went bust? A mere coincidence I'm sure. :razz: