Mercury Music Prize

Gemmill

Actually the full blerb for the MMP says:
The Nationwide Mercury Prize exists solely to champion UK music by promoting the 12 Albums of the Year by British or Irish artists. All genres of music are eligible and will be treated equally

No mention of championing new music, just UK music. Regardless of their popularity.

30833[/snapback]

I know.

David Bowie got nominated a few years back.

But the Mercury prize has to keep itself relevant, Bowie was nominated because it was his best album in years, this was coldplays worst. If it starts just pre-empting the Brits then what's the point in it. Personally I'm glad there's a prize that promotes new and interesting music rather than chart shite. Would you prefer it was the Brits, Smash Hits Poll Winners Party and the MOBO's that decided who gets rewarded?

Even the NME and Kerrang awards are geared toward the most popular tripe.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if kaiser chiefs, coldplay etc cant win it because they are already successful then why nominate them in the first place?

30826[/snapback]

To push them in America. Oasis used to get nominated but since they've burned their bridges in the US they don't anymore.

30831[/snapback]

both bands were already known in America before the nominations were announced. Kaiser chiefs have been all over the American media this summer

30837[/snapback]

They might be known but they're not big,

Coldplay were getting there but the new album has been slaughtered by the critics over there.

All of these sponsored awards  are a load of bollocks to be fair. This one is no different. It's the same award that's crowned Ms Dynamite and Dizzee Rascal. Not forgetting M People back in the early days. This one swings between whats popular and the politically correct choice from year to year.

30822[/snapback]

That is some shite music thats won there!!!

To be fair i don't take any awards seriously, they all have problems one way or another and this one is no different for selcting shite music for reasons other than what is actually best.

Some awards go for whats popular or selling the most, some go for whichever groups or singers teenage girls fancy and others try to be really clever and superior and give it to obscure stuff whether its any good or not.

I hate to use the phrase but kaiser chiefs are probably the hottest new band in America at the moment. Coldplay are already a decent size and playing to big crowds regardless of how well their album has went down.

Im not disagreeing on the worth of the award but if your going to say its for championing new music then only nominate new music. Nominating bands ,who by your defintion of the purpose of the award have no chance of winning it, is a waste of time

Actually the full blerb for the MMP says:
The Nationwide Mercury Prize exists solely to champion UK music by promoting the 12 Albums of the Year by British or Irish artists. All genres of music are eligible and will be treated equally

No mention of championing new music, just UK music. Regardless of their popularity.

30833[/snapback]

I know.

David Bowie got nominated a few years back.

But the Mercury prize has to keep itself relevant, Bowie was nominated because it was his best album in years, this was coldplays worst. If it starts just pre-empting the Brits then what's the point in it. Personally I'm glad there's a prize that promotes new and interesting music rather than chart shite. Would you prefer it was the Brits, Smash Hits Poll Winners Party and the MOBO's that decided who gets rewarded?

Even the NME and Kerrang awards are geared toward the most popular tripe.

30839[/snapback]

Personally I put it up there with all awards. They're not worth anything and could all be stopped for me. If you have to be told by an award to go and buy an album then there is something wrong. I couldn't give a shite what Jo Whiley (I'm surprised she didn't try suddenly announce that The Killers were really from the UK and crowbar them in) et al say is their bestest album.

What we'll all agree on (I think) and what has already been said is that it's all subjective. Until Nationwide decide to sponsor the Happy Face awards I'll never be happy with a list of nominations, and rarely with a winner - whatever the competition.

What I tend to find personally is that I can identify with the nominations for the Mercury Prize far more than I can for any other awards. They do a hell of a lot for upcoming artists and I don't think they should be criticised for it.

The Brits on the other hand gives best Newcomer to people with 5 number 1's behind them. Or suggests that Robbie williams has been making the best music in the UK for 7 years running. They're shite.

What we'll all agree on (I think) and what has already been said is that it's all subjective.  Until Nationwide decide to sponsor the Happy Face awards  I'll never be happy with a list of nominations, and rarely with a winner - whatever the competition.

What I tend to find personally is that I can identify with the nominations for the Mercury Prize far more than I can for any other awards.  They do a hell of a lot for upcoming artists and I don't think they should be criticised for it.

The Brits on the other hand gives best Newcomer to people with 5 number 1's behind them.  Or suggests that Robbie williams has been making the best music in the UK for 7 years running.  They're shite.

30854[/snapback]

Agree about the brits, the fact that (including take that) Robbie williams has more brits than every other group or singer since the awards started renders them quite possibly the biggest joke going aside from 12 year old stuff like smash hits.

As for mercury, i agree theres nothing wrong with helping up and coming artists as long as they're good, its no good helping out some of the shite they've awarded it to in the past!

Personally I put it up there with all awards. They're not worth anything and could all be stopped for me. If you have to be told by an award to go and buy an album then there is something wrong. I couldn't give a shite what Jo Whiley (I'm surprised she didn't try suddenly announce that The Killers were really from the UK and crowbar them in) et al say is their bestest album.

30849[/snapback]

You're not being told to buy anything. But as the response to this award has shown, hardly anyone has even heard of Antony and the Johnsons, which is a shame because it's good music. There were 3 nominees I'd not heard of when they came out. I loved one of those 3 albums when I got it and the other 2 I didn't care for. Am I a musical dunce because an award show has pointed me in the direction of an album I now love? There's only so much reading I can do so a few new artist will pass me by.

I think we can all just agree on the fact that English music fucking sucks and then we can close this thread and all go on in peace.

30832[/snapback]

30853[/snapback]

and where does Australian music come on the list Steve?

I think we can all just agree on the fact that English music fucking sucks and then we can close this thread and all go on in peace.

30832[/snapback]

30853[/snapback]

and where does Australian music come on the list Steve?

30876[/snapback]

Hey...Men without Hats, case well n truly rested.

30849[/snapback]

You're not being told to buy anything. But as the response to this award has shown, hardly anyone has even heard of Antony and the Johnsons, which is a shame because it's good music.

30861[/snapback]

What he said. :lol:

• 10 months later...

This year nominees are out...

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Ballad Of The Broken Seas

Editors - The Back Room

Guillemots - Through The Windowpane

Richard Hawley - Coles Corner

Hot Chip - The Warning

Muse - Black Holes And Revelations

Zoe Rahman - Melting Pot

Lou Rhodes - Beloved One

Scritti Politti - White Bread, Black Beer

Sway - This Is My Demo

Thom Yorke - The Eraser

Isobell Campbell or Sway methinks.

This year nominees are out...

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Ballad Of The Broken Seas

Editors - The Back Room

Guillemots - Through The Windowpane

Richard Hawley - Coles Corner

Hot Chip - The Warning

Muse - Black Holes And Revelations

Zoe Rahman - Melting Pot

Lou Rhodes - Beloved One

Scritti Politti - White Bread, Black Beer

Sway - This Is My Demo

Thom Yorke - The Eraser

Isobell Campbell or Sway methinks.

161002[/snapback]

Fuck me gently ;)

Anyone got Thom Yorke's album? If so, is it worth getting?

161242[/snapback]

If you liked Kid A/Amnesiac you'll love it.

I wasn't too keen on them.

Anyone got Thom Yorke's album? If so, is it worth getting?

161242[/snapback]

If you liked Kid A/Amnesiac you'll love it.

I wasn't too keen on them.

161282[/snapback]

I see where you're coming from but I love those 2 and I'm not that keen on this one. Without Jonny Greenwood he's been able to run away with his processed beats and discard the guitar altogether.