Mercury Music Prize

Gemmill

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair choice imo, i would have gone for Django Django but there's loads of great ideas on the alt-j album, a bit too many possibly but still interesting.

Dont understand why club / techno / underground dance artists dont get a look in though.

• 10 months later...

Arctic Monkeys - AM

David Bowie - The Next Day

Disclosure - Settle

Foals - Holy Fire

Jake Bugg - Jake Bugg

James Blake - Overgrown

Jon Hopkins - Immunity

Laura Marling - Once I Was An Eagle

Laura Mvula - Sing to the Moon

Rudimental - Home

Savages - Silence Yourself

Villagers - Awayland

James Blake or Villagers for me.

Most well known group of artists I've seen in the Mercury.

James Blake or Villagers for me.

Most well known group of artists I've seen in the Mercury.

Think Bowie and surprisingly Foals are the ones I've enjoyed the most. To be fair AM has only just come out so I've only listened to it once and James Blake is the only other one I've bothered with.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

If I had to pick a "favourite", I'd say Jamie XX. Could see Benjamin Clemantine getting it though.

That Gaz Coombes album is class btw.

Certainly is, but as someone said I'd only heard Matador and a couple of others this year.

Went to see him in an old church hall on Thursday night, he mentioned the awards in passing towards the end and got a predictably huge cheer, I saw a mate in the pub afterwards and we agreed he had no fuckin chance, sad to say we were right :lol:

He was brilliant btw, just him, a few guitars, a keyboard and a beat box/sampler thingy. Also played Moving and a rioutous Caught by the Fuzz as an encore. I think Matador beats the shit out of his previous solo offering and for me he remains an huge talent.