Mercury Music Prize

Gemmill

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i know

it's just a shame it has that pretense to award on musical merit and not anything else

and everyone buys into it

But if James Blackshaw got nominated, then they'd have been "correct". :rolleyes:

yeah i know

it's just a shame it has that pretense to award on musical merit and not anything else

and everyone buys into it

But if James Blackshaw got nominated, then they'd have been "correct". :rolleyes:

no but it'd of been nice to see him get some recognition even if he was nowhere near winning

It seems the old adage rings true, tremendously depressing bad news comes in threes. Yes, the economy is still fucked, swine flu is going to kill us all and just in case anyone was in any doubt that the British music scene was a little more than stagnant, Kasabian have been short listed for the Mercury prize. It’s true! Unbelievably, riding on the back of their poorest album to date (and that’s saying something) the arrogant, over-achieving, under-performing cretins have secured a nod from what was (once) considered a highly respectable awards ceremony.

Disappointingly a quick scan down the rest of the list offers little consolation. Inexplicably over-rated La Roux has somehow made the shortlist, even though a) she is easily the worst of the new wave of female electro pop artists and :rolleyes: she actually cannot sing – go on, just listen to the excruciating “ooooh” based bridge of ‘In For The Kill’ – and don’t give me that “unique voice” rubbish, it is out of tune, fact. Oh, and while we’re on the subject of talentless female artists, Florence and the Machine’s early 90’s sounding stink-fest ‘Lungs’ gets a mention as does the compulsive Bjork b-side raiding Bat for Lashes.

What else is on off then? Well, fans of the Latino demo mode on early 90’s keyboards will rejoice as the “euphoric, dance-floor fillers” Friendly Fires sneak themselves a spot on the list. As do Jesus and Mary Ch.... oh no wait, these songs are terrible, must be indoor sunglasses-wearing miserablists Glasvegas.

Of the “mainstream” names on the list, the best on offer is probably The Horrors. In fairness though, for a band that released a piss-poor debut album on the back of ultra-hype they really did a remarkable U-Turn bringing out the genuinely brilliant ‘Primary Colours’. This is all the more impressive considering that, in my humble opinion, they collectively suffer the affliction of being astoundingly punchable.

The token urban nod goes to Speech Debelle (...?) and the “outsiders” include Led Bib, Lisa Hannigan, The Invisible and Sweet Billy Pilgrim. Aside from Damien Rice backing singer Lisa Hannigan, I haven’t heard anything by any of these but can safely assume that even if their albums consist of recordings of arses being rubbed against various hollowed out wooden objects whilst howling, it’s a considerably better work than 'West Pauper Ryder Lunatic Asylum'.

Sadly, it appears the Mercury panel have decided just not to bother this year, no-one ground-breaking or even particularly exciting. They should have called it the “Early 90’s Sounding, Shit List” – much catchier and this way nearly everyone on the list (The Horrors aside) would have secured a worthy spot.

http://www.gigwise.com/blog/51760/The-2009...e-The-Worst-Yet

• 1 month later...
Speech Debelle

Miss Dynamite teee hee mk 2

I think I'm more interested in who comes at the top end of the rateyourmusic charts these days.

Saw about 10 mins of the prog last night. She/they were shown. What a load of shite.

I liked the sound of Invisible (Invisibles ??) and The Horrors (?).

EDIT: Just had the Jehovah's Witnesses at the door. What a great name for a band :munch: "and now......it's.....The Jehovah's Witnesses At The Door" ;)

Edited by snakehips

Speech Debelle

Miss Dynamite teee hee mk 2

I think I'm more interested in who comes at the top end of the rateyourmusic charts these days.

Saw about 10 mins of the prog last night. She/they were shown. What a load of shite.

I liked the sound of Invisible (Invisibles ??) and The Horrors (?).

EDIT: Just had the Jehovah's Witnesses at the door. What a great name for a band :munch: "and now......it's.....The Jehovah's Witnesses At The Door" ;)

Did you ask them if they were in the lucky 440,000?

I want Flo to win it. It's not likely, but it'd be great if she did.

Isn't Flo a bit contemporary for you?

I agree like, her album is outstanding. IMO best female lead band since Blondie.

? :munch: I've got contemporary-ness coming out the yingyang my friend. I'm street and that's no lie, bro

To be honest (and I'm aware how wanky it makes me sound) I'm friends with Flo's brother so I've met her a couple of times and she's a really genuine sweet girl, who's as crazy as a pillowcase of rabid mongeese*

* Mongoose, Mongooses, Mongeese? I'm not sure...

EDIT: Just had the Jehovah's Witnesses at the door. What a great name for a band :) "and now......it's.....The Jehovah's Witnesses At The Door" :lol:

We've just moved into a "purpose-built" (<_<) flat with buzzers on the doors and you still get the Jehovah's Witnesses coming round. Surely the whole point is that they get you on the doorstep and try to browbeat you into talking to them? It doesn't work quite as well when you don't have the eye contact and you can just put the entryphone down on them. :(

As for the Mercury Prize, I suppose it was about time for a token nod to what the Germans call Bläck Music, regardless of whether it's actually any cop or not. The rest of the list was pretty arse - I like the FloJo, Bat For Lashes and Glasvegas albums to a greater or lesser extent, but none of them are exactly revolutionary.

Mind you, you can't always trust the Germans to get it right.

1708091519.jpg

Thing is Meenzer, is there any differnce between the Germans calling it Black Music and people celebrating it by staging the MOBOs?

Oh no, absolutely. I don't mind the German approach at all, it's not like it stops white people from listening to it. Quite the opposite in fact. It's just a strange sensation when you ask someone what music they're into and they say "Bläck Music". :)