Mercury Music Prize

Gemmill

Guest Patrokles
No, but seriously. What does it matter who wins? It shouldn't change anyone's opinion of them. If you like someone's music, you should and will like it regardless of any awards they get. It's not even as though any of these bands need any extra publicity or whatnot. I'd be more impressed if it was bringing bands to the attention of the general public who weren't already firmly entrenched in the popular consciousness. That's what I used to do in Fopp. :razz:

Right then who is up for nomination in the Patrokles Prize 2007?

I like the Kissaway Trail's album. That Justice album is enjoyable. The Figurines. I don't know whether I'm allowed to nominate stuff from 2006 since the Mercury does that, but I'd say the Hold Steady & Beach House from 2006. The Emily Haines album is quite nice. Marissa Nadler. The Panda Bear album is slightly patchy but is very good when it is good. Of Montreal for sure. The Twilight Sad album is very good. Page France. Ice Station by the Race is one of my favourite albums of the year so far. There's probably a lot more I've missed off, which reinforces my point, really. I don't think there's a lack of talent at all. You just need to look outside of the Mercury Music Award to find it.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Patrokles
No, but seriously. What does it matter who wins? It shouldn't change anyone's opinion of them. If you like someone's music, you should and will like it regardless of any awards they get. It's not even as though any of these bands need any extra publicity or whatnot. I'd be more impressed if it was bringing bands to the attention of the general public who weren't already firmly entrenched in the popular consciousness. That's what I used to do in Fopp. :razz:

The Fopp that recently went bust? A mere coincidence I'm sure. :razz:

They tried to expand too fast and couldn't come to credit agreements with the bank. I don't care, I'd just resigned to go to America. :razz:

It's just another music award but at least it tries to look beyond the obvious, which is something. I doubt an album like that Anthony and the Johnsons one would have got anywhere near as much publicity without it. Whether it deserved it is another debate I suppose.

Guest Patrokles
It's just another music award but at least it tries to look beyond the obvious, which is something. I doubt an album like that Anthony and the Johnsons one would have got anywhere near as much publicity without it. Whether it deserved it is another debate I suppose.

The first A&tJ album was really good, btw. The second one was a bit too one-paced for my liking. No surprise which one got the credit. :razz:

I like the Kissaway Trail's album. That Justice album is enjoyable. The Figurines. I don't know whether I'm allowed to nominate stuff from 2006 since the Mercury does that, but I'd say the Hold Steady & Beach House from 2006. The Emily Haines album is quite nice. Marissa Nadler. The Panda Bear album is slightly patchy but is very good when it is good. Of Montreal for sure. The Twilight Sad album is very good. Page France. Ice Station by the Race is one of my favourite albums of the year so far. There's probably a lot more I've missed off, which reinforces my point, really. I don't think there's a lack of talent at all. You just need to look outside of the Mercury Music Award to find it.

Not much of that is UK based though. Is any? Which is a Mercury requirement.

This is the Patrokles Prize though. No such restrictions apply.

That Amy Winehouse thing has reminded me of something a mackem sent me. Nyron Nosworthy stood on the pitch on what I assume is Sunderland's post-season pitch celebrations, singing "They tried to take the ball past Nyron..." and then it cuts to the crowd singing "....but he said nooooo, nooooo, nooooo". It's quality. :razz:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...nelID=164534517

:razz:

Guest Patrokles

This is the Patrokles Prize though. No such restrictions apply.

He has a point though, to be fair. I guess I'd forward Fuyija & Miyagi (which HF will agree with) and the Twilight Sad.

WAIT, having said that- Anthony & the Johnsons? Hardly UK-based.

Edited by Patrokles

He has a point though, to be fair. I guess I'd forward Fuyija & Miyagi (which HF will agree with)

undoobatably

and the Twilight Sad.

Too scottish by some way for me.

WAIT, having said that- Anthony & the Johnsons? Hardly UK-based.

He lived in England for a month or something I think.

• 1 year later...
Over the years we have had contrariness from the Nationwide Mercury Prize for music — and this year's nominations proved no exception. Did Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss have any place on a shortlist of British albums?

Plant, of course, is British — but on a record of duets with an American, comprising mostly American songs, many chosen and produced by an American (T-Bone Burnett), played by an American band and released on an American label (Rounder) — well, it seemed like nothing less than a mistake.

To Simon Frith, the chairman of the judges, however, it made perfect sense. He pointed out that with Led Zeppelin, Plant had also explored American blues.

There was no room in the list for Goldfrapp and Paul Weller, despite both releasing the most acclaimed albums of their careers.

Frith hinted that Duffy was too retro to trouble the judges' discerning ears. Having been nominated for worse records, Coldplay will feel aggrieved that their Viva La Vida opus did not make it.

Super Furry Animals' Hey Venus deserved to be there but Gruff Rhys, the frontman of the Welsh group, will take some comfort in the nomination of his synth-pop side project Neon Neon, inspired by the 1970s car tycoon John De Lorean.

It is surely with mixed feelings that Arctic Monkeys will gaze at the presence of The Last Shadow Puppets, the side-project of Alex Turner, their frontman. Turner seems to be conspicuously more fired up by the orchestral pop possibilities explored by him and his new best chum Miles Kane than he ever was in his other band.

What distinguishes the Mercury from other music prizes is its ability to raise the profile of unknown artists.

At the 2005 nominations Seth Lakeman played a song and ended up on the Six O'Clock News.

The excellent Portico Quartet made a similar impact yesterday by using what appeared to be a £24.99 Homebase barbecue as percussion (they claimed it was a Swedish instrument called a hang — a likely story).

No chance, it must be said, of such sudden fame befalling the South London dubstep practitioner Burial, who keeps his identity secret. Quite how long his anonymity will last now that the cinematic sound-sketches of his second album Untrue have come to wider attention is anyone's guess.

Elsewhere it is a list that divides between resurgent emissaries of left-field rock — breathtaking albums by Radiohead and Elbow — and young women artists.

The intricate chamber-pop vignettes that comprise Laura Marling's Alas I Cannot Swim would be remarkable from a songwriter of any age, let along one who recorded these songs aged 17.

The winner will be announced live on BBC Two on September 9.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol...icle4380793.ece

Elbow The Seldom Seen Kid - Haven't listened to it

Radiohead In Rainbows - Most disappointing release from Radiohead I've anticipated, still good though and better than stuff of there's I liked retrospectively.

[british Sea Power Do You Like Rock Music? Haven't listened to it

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss Raising Sand Enjoyed a few tracks

Burial Untrue I couldn't get into it

Estelle Shine Haven't listened to it

Adele 19Haven't listened to it

Laura Marling Alas, I Cannot Swim Lovely album

Rachel Unthank and The Winterset The Bairns Haven't heard of it

Neon Neon Stainless Style rather enjoyed it

Portico Quartet Knee Deep in the North Sea Haven't heard of it

The Last Shadow Puppets The Age of the Understatement Bored me rigid

Edited by Happy Face

Good to see Rachel Unthank and the Winterset in there. Even if thelondonpaper complained that their Northumbrian folk tunes were spoiled somewhat by their Geordie accents. :headphonedance:

Robert Plant & Allison Krauss or Elbow.

That is all.

Canny album, but a bit wearying after a while, plus (as mentioned) there's the eligibility factor. I tend to prefer Krauss on her own, anyway. Full marks for the Waits cover though. :headphonedance:

That is all.

Canny album, but a bit wearying after a while, plus (as mentioned) there's the eligibility factor. I tend to prefer Krauss on her own, anyway. Full marks for the Waits cover though. ;)

Plant has always done blues throughout his career, as well as other genres obviously but there has always been blues. So in my opinion it is simply an Englishman playing out his influences. I'm sure the eligibility factor has come up a few times before (Antony and the Johnstons?) but to be honest as much as plant wouldn't mind being honored, I doubt he's going to miss the £20k as much as other artists.

In Rainbows is a decent album but I can't help but think that if they win it will be simply down to the 'Radiohead' factor in which people will think they are doing something new and groundbreaking (aside from the sales technique) in music. It's a good album but certainly not their best.

Elbow's 'The Seldom Seen Kid' is a really top draw album and appears to be mostly effortless, very melodic and very articulated with a lot of range. They still managed to get a couple of boring tracks in there somehow!

The Last Shadow Puppets are shite and are merely on the list because it's some NME darlings extra-curricular. Don't get me wrong I like Arctic Monkeys but TLSP are shite. They sound like a very bad, slightly louder Coral singing about utter shite nobody cares about.

:headphonedance:

I'm listening to Neon Neon - Stainless Style and It is a bit weird/Not the best.

I'll finish the album off like.

What's the back story?

I'm listening to Neon Neon - Stainless Style and It is a bit weird/Not the best.

I'll finish the album off like.

What's the back story?

It's a concept album about John DeLorean

That is all.

It is pretty good.

He must have thought Walking Into Clarksdale was canny shite if he felt the urge to re-record his own songs with someone other than Jimmy Page.

The Raising Sand version of Please Read The Letter IS a mile better like.

Dan Le Sac and Scroobius Pip should have been in front of Burial.