Fuel Protests

Chaser

With prices up at almost £1 a litre and over that in some independant stations, it looks imminant that we will see protesting across the country at refineries. Whether these will develop into blockades remains to be seen

Personally i think that its disgusting that we are forced to pay such ridiculous prices for fuel. Fuel affects everything and everyone - a higher cost in fuel means that services and prices in shops will rise as prices of shipping rises.

47.1p of every litre goes to the government as a direct tax. 17.5% VAT also adds to this figure, giving the government 64.6p for every litre at £1. The cost of the refined product to produce is around 30p so the other 6p is shared between the profit of the refiner and the profit from the garage forecourt.

Americans who use the most oil in the world (currently) are paying half of what we pay and they too are up in arms.

What are your views on the latest threats of action? in favour?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just come back from Menorca and its something like 70 cents for a litre, thats about 50p. Our government are greedy robbing bastards.

Not sure if these protests are the right thing to do, but something MUST change.

Yeah, the government are filthy robbing scum. It's a disgrace.

Actually, the revenue from tax on fuel is a significant part of national taxation income and ultimately pays for government expenditure (and the time to argue about how the government spends that money is on election day). So that cash goes on hospitals, schools, police, roads and daft statues.

The argument about prices in other countries is worthless unless you want to include all their other taxation policies and public spending records.

These protests simply go to show how little the majority of the British public understand about how things really work. If lorry drivers were economic experts, they wouldn't be driving lorries in the first place. The view of the TUC chief says it all. Anyone who fancies more strikes because they are on some kind of 'people power' jaunt (like in 2000- or was it '01?) should think carefully about the effect on the economy.

Also note the hauliers have changed tack- their protest a few years ago called for an immediate and drastic cut in fuel duty (something that only served to underline the point that these people should not be forcing economic decisions) for all road users. Now they are more looking for a rebate for haulage companies.

So fuel is expensive these days? What is price- what you perceive a product to be worth, or what you are prepared to pay for it?

The last time I was fully behind it. The constant rises had been a gradual increase in taxes alone in the blind belief that the government had that we would simply accept it....

This time I'm not so sure. I can't stand this government for toffee, but I accept that they have done all that is possible to prevent the price of fuel increasing due to tax. Each time it's gone up it's been due to the fact that the price of oil itself has risen. Also, Gordon Brown appears to be pro-active and has already asked for an increase in production to prevent any further increase in the price of fuel.

We are one of the highest, if not THE highest payer of tax on fuel on the planet but we mustn't forget that we pay lower taxes than other countries elsewhere - income tax for one.

Also, there seems to be a stigma associated with items reaching a pound per unit. It was the same when cigarettes hit a pound a packet back in the early 80s and also when beer hit a pound a pint in the early nineties. We have to accept that one day it is going to move above that threashold and that that day is imminent. In essence it's no different to when it hit 90p a litre or 95p a litre, but because the stigma is not there, there were no protests...

We do pay a high fee for fuel, agreed. But this time it cannot be blamed entirely on the government...

If these protesters came up with a plan to reduce fuel duty, balanced with other tax rises and a clear report on the likely environmental impact on car travel suddenly becoming a lot cheaper, then maybe the government would listen. "Cut fuel tax now, ug" will get the contempt it deserves.

Its a load of bollocks

Most of the protesteors run enormous 4WD cars that they charge against their businesses

What good will it do?

As stated above if the Govt cuts fuel tax then something else goes up - VAT - maybe VAT on food - now that WOULD help the poor and old - or perhaps 2p on income tax all round - or lets make those bloody students pay more for their education.......................

We just had a "day of action" in Sydney which involved drivers not filling up on September 1st and it actually had a big enough response that days later the subject was discussed in parliment.

The opposition asked for the government to reduce their tax on fuel by 10 cents/litre to which they replied no that would cost us 8 billion dollars in lost revenue.

The horrible truth is the world is being held to ransom by two fuel producing bodies, Saudi states and the US. Both who work together and oppose each other at every opportunity.

It has been argued long and hard that the US invaded Iraq for the good of the world but lets be honest it is about oil, Iran is next and as leaders like G Dub you help their American fuel producing backers engulf more of the oil producing world, they and the saudi's and the Abromovich's of the world will screw the prices up to exploit the dependant consumers.

What is worse is the English and Australian governments have helped and supported Bush in his actions, so maybe they need to reflect upon their actions and how it has contributed to the current oil price rises!

Edited by sammynb

We just had a "day of action" in Sydney which involved drivers not filling up on September 1st and it actually had a big enough response that days later the subject was discussed in parliment.

The opposition asked for the government to reduce their tax on fuel by 10 cents/litre to which they replied no that would cost us 8 billion dollars in lost revenue.

The horrible truth is the world is being held to ransom by two fuel producing bodies, Saudi states and the US. Both who work together and oppose each other at every opportunity.

It has been argued long and hard that the US invaded Iraq for the good of the world but lets be honest it is about oil, Iran is next and as leaders like G Dub you help their American fuel producing backers engulf more of the oil producing world, they and the saudi's and the Abromovich's of the world will screw the prices up to exploit the dependant consumers.

What is worse is the English and Australian governments have helped and supported Bush in his actions, so maybe they need to reflect upon their actions and how it has contributed to the current oil price rises!

31946[/snapback]

Ok what is going on?

I've just edited G Dub you three times and it keeps posting as G Dub you!

Why is there a pedantic secret spell checker on here?

We have a text speak filter in place (rather than a swear filter). Seems to be working rather well! :icon_lol:

31959[/snapback]

But it's not text speak, it's how he spells his name.

It is really, listen to him.

[insoutherndrawl] Hi I'm G Dub Y A Bush [/insoutherndrawl]

_40791738_petrol_tesco_203.jpg

I know people who drive about 10 miles a week, and they're queuing at the petrol stations for half an hour to put £4 worth of petrol in.

To those people, and others like them, I say...

Get a fucking grip!!

Some people in this world are just fucking stupid.

We have a text speak filter in place (rather than a swear filter). Seems to be working rather well! :icon_lol:

31959[/snapback]

But it's not text speak, it's how he spells his name.

It is really, listen to him.

[insoutherndrawl] Hi I'm G Dub Y A Bush [/insoutherndrawl]

31966[/snapback]

And there was me thinking he spelled it George Walker Bush.... :angry:

I know people who drive about 10 miles a week, and they're queuing at the petrol stations for half an hour to put £4 worth of petrol in.

Get a fucking grip!!

31975[/snapback]

How long were you queuing for last night then?? :icon_lol:

Get a fucking grip!!

31975[/snapback]

How long were you queuing for last night then?? :icon_lol:

31978[/snapback]

I'm not bothering to be honest. If I can't get fuel towards the end of the week then I won't go to work. Easy as.

With prices up at almost £1 a litre and over that in some independant stations, it looks imminant that we will see protesting across the country at refineries. Whether these will develop into blockades remains to be seen

Personally i think that its disgusting that we are forced to pay such ridiculous prices for fuel. Fuel affects everything and everyone - a higher cost in fuel means that services and prices in shops will rise as prices of shipping rises.

47.1p of every litre goes to the government as a direct tax. 17.5% VAT also adds to this figure, giving the government 64.6p for every litre at £1. The cost of the refined product to produce is around 30p so the other 6p is shared between the profit of the refiner and the profit from the garage forecourt.

Americans who use the most oil in the world (currently) are paying half of what we pay and they too are up in arms.

What are your views on the latest threats of action? in favour?

31865[/snapback]

When you put it like that it is an absolute disgrace. While were on the subject of this country I've just came back from southern spain and one thing i noticed was the difference with the adverts on TV. Over there it was all adverts for food, yoghurts etc but over here it's all loan companys, credit cards, car insurance. Basically just shit to get you into more debt or somehow filter your money off you.

The country's fucked.

:icon_lol:

Get a fucking grip!!

31975[/snapback]

How long were you queuing for last night then?? :angry:

31978[/snapback]

I'm not bothering to be honest. If I can't get fuel towards the end of the week then I won't go to work. Easy as.

31982[/snapback]

I've already stated the same.....

And told them I'm not WFH as they are yet to install the VPN they promised me months ago... :icon_lol:

"When you put it like that it is an absolute disgrace"

What's a disgrace?

that you have to pay the price for a depleting asset so you can drive around in a bloody great gas guzzler and pollute the atmosphere????

The prices are absolutely sky high, however nobody (apart from those who live in isolated, rural communities with no public transport) can really complain IMHO. It's a fossil fuel at the end of the day and kills the environment.

To use the example of Americans being up in arms while their prices are only half of ours is actually the single worst argument anyone could cite in support of price cuts. Americans have the cheapest fuel in the world and put out the most exhaust emissions on earth too. Frankly it is an absolute disgrace that fuel is as cheap as it is in America now even with the price rises. Their energy consumption is abhorrent.

The fact of the matter is, fuel should cost more so people actually think before they get in their cars to make a journey.

Obviously the argument is more complex than that and there are the usual caveats and corolaries of the requirement of a decent public transport system etc etc - all very true - however bottom line for me, those arguing for cheap or even reasonably priced fossil fuel, will never have a leg to stand on. It should ALWAYS be priced very highly - making it a more expensive alternative to public transport - so that people realise that they are not only priviliged to drive their own vehicles but are forced to acept that by choosing to do so they are polluting the planet more so than people who dont drive (for whatever reason). Should people pay more because of that? Damn straight they should!

And I drive by the way, before anyone starts.

tbh

Until the electorate accept that public expenditure has to come from somewhere and will be willing to pay more income tax then "stealth" taxes like petrol duty and tobacco duty will remain.

As for the tory shitbags who "demonstrate" I'd confiscate their cars.

Road hauliers scabbed their way through the miners strike, killing the odd picket on the way. Excuse me while I laugh at their "common good" platitudes.

Until the electorate accept that public expenditure has to come from somewhere and will be willing to pay more income tax then "stealth" taxes like petrol duty and tobacco duty will remain.

Road hauliers scabbed their way through the miners strike, killing the odd picket on the way. Excuse me while I laugh at their "common good" platitudes.

32038[/snapback]

:icon_lol::angry::angry::icon_lol::blush:

32038[/snapback]

Well said that man, that scum weren't complaining about 'unfair taxes' and the 'state of the nation' when they were making money hand over fist