Kid Rock

Guest James_coDurham

... you mean you genuinely don't know?

You can place a bet now on the Xmas number, and your money would be safe if you placed it upon whoever wins X-Factor... this is PURELY because the public are stupid and will buy whatever is packaged properly.

Or this may be because of the fact that it's the public that determine the X factor winner so are therefore a hundred times more inclined to buy their record. Common sense, dipshit.

.... :unsure:

it's also the public who buy everybody else's records, so your statement holds no water... surely by your logic only the talented would make it to the heady heights of Number 1? This wouldn't explain any of the examples I described earlier

face facts, aim at the lowest common denominator in anything and you're likely to make it successful. Music, tv, papers, they've all got examples of products marketed in the most lazy and unambitious way.

If you genuinely think that Kid Rock and James Blunt are exemplars of their art then I guess there's nothing anyone can do to change your mind. But know that there are artists who do similar music but they do it to a higher standard and they are successful without an advertising juggernaut behind them.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest James_coDurham
... you mean you genuinely don't know?

You can place a bet now on the Xmas number, and your money would be safe if you placed it upon whoever wins X-Factor... this is PURELY because the public are stupid and will buy whatever is packaged properly.

Or this may be because of the fact that it's the public that determine the X factor winner so are therefore a hundred times more inclined to buy their record. Common sense, dipshit.

.... :unsure:

it's also the public who buy everybody else's records, so your statement holds no water... surely by your logic only the talented would make it to the heady heights of Number 1? This wouldn't explain any of the examples I described earlier

face facts, aim at the lowest common denominator in anything and you're likely to make it successful. Music, tv, papers, they've all got examples of products marketed in the most lazy and unambitious way.

If you genuinely think that Kid Rock and James Blunt are exemplars of their art then I guess there's nothing anyone can do to change your mind. But know that there are artists who do similar music but they do it to a higher standard and they are successful without an advertising juggernaut behind them.

You'd probably discover that Kid Rock has been marketed very little in the past and there's many who haven't even heard of him, despite selling so many records.

So the Spice Girls didn't successfully entertain their target audience? Get real you stupid fucking arsewank. It might not be cool to like the spice girls, and regardless of their vocal talents, they entertained their audience otherwise they would have flopped. It's extremely arrogant to assume that the public are too stupid and will buy any poor product that's marketed to them, and they won't, despite what you and other high-horse forum peniswarts would try and have you believe.

they are stupid and they will buy any product if marketed well. If you think otherwise you're naive to the extreme

So why is Will Young the only real success of music reality shows? Why did he make it and why did the others flop?

What about Girls Aloud? Sixteen top ten singles, three platinum albums and a greatest hits (a contractual obligation more than anything) that went triple platinum and nearly everything they've ever recorded has been brilliant.

I know this isn't integral to the argument, and I have no opinion on Kid Rock, but just thought I'd point it out. Nae point having an argument without all the facts and all that.

Guest James_coDurham
Loving how thompers thinks that records sold is some kind of barometer of the quality of the recording artists.

It is to an extent. It's not always a clear indication but the better you are, the more you'll sell, and the better you are, the more people will be willing to invest in you in terms of promoting you and advertising you. In general.

Loving how thompers thinks that records sold is some kind of barometer of the quality of the recording artists.

It is to an extent. It's not always a clear indication but the better you are, the more you'll sell, and the better you are, the more people will be willing to invest in you in terms of promoting you and advertising you. In general.

Westlife are amazing like.

They probably are in the eyes of a 13 year old girl....

Guest James_coDurham

Exactly. It's about target audiences.

More like a middle-aged woman, shirley?

I presume Kid Rock's target audience is trailer-trash and in-bred hill-billies and James Blunt's is insipid wet farts. Interesting combo.

Guest James_coDurham

I presume Kid Rock's target audience is trailer-trash and in-bred hill-billies and James Blunt's is insipid wet farts. Interesting combo.

Well he sells out all over the states, so if Detroit, New York etc is infested with Hill Billies, then perhaps you're right. Regardless of his target audience, if he is successful and liked by a large number of his target audience then he's obviously good at what he does.

Guest James_coDurham

You should also consider the fact that he's respected and performed with the likes of Sheyrl Crow, Snoop Dogg, Hank Williams, Run DMC, Eminem, as well as been very well liked by the likes of Elton John, the late Johnny Cash etc. The guy's talents reach out to anybody who knows anything about music really.

I love the way people on this forum dismiss the general public as gullible fools who'll buy anything that's marketed to them though, yet always believing that they themselves are a rare exception to the rule. Nobody has a mind of their own except themselves :unsure: The arrogance is amusing, especially coming from a likely inbred forum geek.

Well he sells out all over the states, so if Detroit, New York etc is infested with Hill Billies, then perhaps you're right. Regardless of his target audience, if he is successful and liked by a large number of his target audience then he's obviously good at what he does.

So we agree on the trailer trash and wet farts then?

You should also consider the fact that he's respected and performed with the likes of Sheyrl Crow, Snoop Dogg, Hank Williams, Run DMC, Eminem, as well as been very well liked by the likes of Elton John, the late Johnny Cash etc. The guy's talents reach out to anybody who knows anything about music really.

I love the way people on this forum dismiss the general public as gullible fools who'll buy anything that's marketed to them though, yet always believing that they themselves are a rare exception to the rule. Nobody has a mind of their own except themselves :unsure:The arrogance is amusing, especially coming from a likely inbred forum geek.

the general public as an animal, is a gullible panicky fool. that's why the Sun does so well, the X-Factor winner is guaranteed a number one and the BNP's support is rising.

Sheryll Crow, Snoop Dogg, Hank Williams, Run DMC, Eminem are not what I would call barometers of ability either. while some of them are clearly talented, simply by standing on stage with them does not a talented performer make... They all market themselves well and are just as interested in earning a buck or two as Kid Rock is. Where's the evidence that Johnny Cash liked his music?

There's nothing wrong with liking Kid Rock, nothing at all. But don't try and sell him as a great musician when he quite simply isn't, ditto James Blunt. They're both very middle of the road and aimed at the mass market. I'm sure my music library has a few clangers in there, but I don't make the mistake of thinking that the Fratellis are amazingly talented... I just like a couple of their tunes.

I have changed my mind, Kid Rock is a genius, I've had many PM's saying so.

Now will this thread PLEASE fuck off. :unsure:

righteously quoted for truth....now fuck off and die thread....

Edited by Radgina

Guest James_coDurham

I love the way people on this forum dismiss the general public as gullible fools who'll buy anything that's marketed to them though, yet always believing that they themselves are a rare exception to the rule. Nobody has a mind of their own except themselves :unsure:The arrogance is amusing, especially coming from a likely inbred forum geek.

the general public as an animal, is a gullible panicky fool. that's why the Sun does so well, the X-Factor winner is guaranteed a number one and the BNP's support is rising.

Sheryll Crow, Snoop Dogg, Hank Williams, Run DMC, Eminem are not what I would call barometers of ability either. while some of them are clearly talented, simply by standing on stage with them does not a talented performer make... They all market themselves well and are just as interested in earning a buck or two as Kid Rock is. Where's the evidence that Johnny Cash liked his music?

There's nothing wrong with liking Kid Rock, nothing at all. But don't try and sell him as a great musician when he quite simply isn't, ditto James Blunt. They're both very middle of the road and aimed at the mass market. I'm sure my music library has a few clangers in there, but I don't make the mistake of thinking that the Fratellis are amazingly talented... I just like a couple of their tunes.

Kid and Johnny were good friends. He and Hank Williams attended his funeral together. The fratellis ;) So you criticize an artist, Kid Rock, that has been around for 17 years then admit to liking a band that has jumped on the "indie music is great" bandwagon?

Kid and Johnny were good friends. He and Hank Williams attended his funeral together. The fratellis :unsure: So you criticize an artist, Kid Rock, that has been around for 17 years then admit to liking a band that has jumped on the "indie music is great" bandwagon?

any sources for your claims?

and read my post, I've said they're not great I know they're not great and I've never proposed that they're anything but remarkable in their mediochrity. I mentioned them to prove that it's possible to like a song, without the need to claim they're anything more than they are... which just an average band.

I've also been known to like songs by My Chemical Romance and ;) S club 7!... this doesn't mean I think they're talented musicians or inventive lyricists.. I've just enjoyed a song or two. You're saying that Kid Rock is a great and talented musician loved the world over by the great and the good... when he's not. :icon_lol:

Kid and Johnny were good friends. He and Hank Williams attended his funeral together. The fratellis ;) So you criticize an artist, Kid Rock, that has been around for 17 years then admit to liking a band that has jumped on the "indie music is great" bandwagon?

The KLF spunk all over The Fratellis and that nonce Kid Rock.

Guest James_coDurham
Kid and Johnny were good friends. He and Hank Williams attended his funeral together. The fratellis :unsure: So you criticize an artist, Kid Rock, that has been around for 17 years then admit to liking a band that has jumped on the "indie music is great" bandwagon?

any sources for your claims?

and read my post, I've said they're not great I know they're not great and I've never proposed that they're anything but remarkable in their mediochrity. I mentioned them to prove that it's possible to like a song, without the need to claim they're anything more than they are... which just an average band.

I've also been known to like songs by My Chemical Romance and ;) S club 7!... this doesn't mean I think they're talented musicians or inventive lyricists.. I've just enjoyed a song or two. You're saying that Kid Rock is a great and talented musician loved the world over by the great and the good... when he's not. :icon_lol:

I think if you look outside this country he actually is. Would you actually like me to find you a photo of them at the funeral together ffs

I have heard a few of his tracks in the past and thought - ok. Downloaded his new album based on the vitriolic responses in this thread.

Played the whole album form start to finish - no skipping.

I have to say it's pretty poor like. It's not sure what it's trying to be. Jamesyou described it as southern rock - it's really not. If you want Southern Rock try the Black Crowes. Now there's a southern band with plenty of talent. Some of the songs are blatant rip-offs. On one song he basically steals Sweet Home Alabama and rips its guts out. I don't just mean the chorus, I mean the guitar solo, the piano solo, the chorus and part of the premise for the song.

It's like he's trying to be something he's not. It's like Pop but trying to be 'more Rock' but throwing in a mess of other styles. The mix of styles when done properly sounds quite refreshing but done poorly sounds like an album with multiple split personalities.

He has popularity I'll give you that. Popularity does not equal talent though. There are loads of bands who where technically very good but fail to make much of an impact (I can give an example if you like) whereas some people strike a chord with your average (perhaps 'mass market') joe and make it big. James Blunt is a classic example of this. The amount of people in the music industry who have gone on record wondering why JB is so popular).

As for the vitriolic responses, it's something I've noticed on this board. Maybe it's just because I don't visit that often and probably contribute even less, but it seems that sometimes when someone has a strong opinion of something and decides to share it; if it deviates from the 'perceived' line of acceptance it seems to get lambasted.

I'm not saying I agree with James coDuham - because I don't, I just thought I'd share the observation.

Incidentally, I've since deleted the offending album :unsure:

Edited by maggiespaws

I think if you look outside this country he actually is. Would you actually like me to find you a photo of them at the funeral together ffs

so suddenly outside of this country he manifests talent? :unsure:

and Maggies? the vitriol is aimed more at the assertion that Kid Rock is really talented and not just a well marketed product , or James Blunt is the "best singer songwriter of recent times".

that's why I've been giving examples of music that I've liked but have acknowledge their mediocrity.

and Maggies? the vitriol is aimed more at the assertion that Kid Rock is really talented and not just a well marketed product , or James Blunt is the "best singer songwriter of recent times".

that's why I've been giving examples of music that I've liked but have acknowledge their mediocrity.

Actually it's the fact we are all cunts/peniswarts, etc when we disagree with assertion kid cock and james bl©unt are the musical messiahs that the vitriol becomes apparent.

Guest James_coDurham

Actually it's the fact we are all cunts/peniswarts, etc when we disagree with assertion kid cock and james bl©unt are the musical messiahs that the vitriol becomes apparent.

No not everyone is those things. Just you.