Ashley eyes Redknapp

Jimbo

HARRY'S TALK OF TOON

NEWCASTLE TARGET POMPEY BOSS Ashley eyes Redknapp

Paul Smith 18/11/2007

Harry Redknapp has emerged as the number one target to replace Newcastle's under-fire manager Sam Allardyce.

The Magpies' multimillionaire owner, Mike Ashley, has made no secret of his admiration for Portsmouth boss Redknapp and the impressive job he's done at Fratton Park.

Ashley's uneasy relationship with Allardyce is bordering on disintegration and although Redknapp has recently signed a new contract at Pompey, that won't deter Ashley from making a formal approach to the high-flying south-coast club.

The alternative for Newcastle will be a move to persuade former superstar Alan Shearer to accept the challenge of becoming their next manager.

Advertisement

Sources close to the Toon talisman suggest that, having decided to take a two-season sabbatical away from football, Shearer now has fresh enthusiasm to get back into the game when his media contract with the BBC expires next summer.

The Sunday Mirror exclusively revealed in July that the former Magpies and England skipper had held talks with chairman Chris Mort about a return to St James' Park in an undefined role.

Ashley and Mort are keen to re-establish a Geordie connection at the club, but when sounded out Shearer, 37, made it plain that he wasn't interested in an ambassadorial role.

It seems certain Shearer, who has worked tirelessly to get the required coaching qualifications since his retirement season of 2005/06, will one day return to Newcastle as manager.

Allardyce's popularity on Tyneside continues to diminish with supporters largely unimpressed with him.

His appointment to the post was made by former chairman Freddy Shepherd prior to the buy-out by Ashley. And rumours have been rife all season that it's only a matter of time before Ashley boots him out of the club.

While the club have publicly dismissed speculation about continuing rumours about Allardyce's future, privately it is well known the two do not see eye-to-eye.

Ashley's admiration for Redknapp shows no sign of subsiding though, and he has made it abundantly clear he will move heaven and earth to land his man.

During two spells at Pompey Redknapp has transformed the club into a major force in top-flight football.

He is well known for his attacking style of football, which Ashley believes will captivate the Toon Army and steer the club to long overdue success

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not one single quote...

it beggars belief how these things get to print, it really does. Not even a "sources close to" about the Redknapp story.

not one single quote...

it beggars belief how these things get to print, it really does. Not even a "sources close to" about the Redknapp story.

or a "wide of the mark"

:)

I really wish the media would just fuck off. It's beyond a joke now. No source, no quote, no truth (other than the fact the SA was appointed by FFS and Ashley owns the club) and no substance to this whatsoever.

Yet another non-story to fill the column inches. It is Sunday after all and they have more inches to fill.

Good manager, similar ilk to BS. But look how long its taken him at Pompey to get things right. Sam needs a similar amount of time

Exactly people expect miracles, ok Allardyce has made some strange decisions in his short time here but it seems people who expected instant success or weren't too happy with his appointment have used this and blown them out of proportion.

We were left in a mess after our last 2 managers destroyed us, we have signed a lot of new players (which the majority I am happy with) and Allardyce is trying to get the team working to his methods. Barton being out hasn't helped as although he isn't exactly Elano in the creative stakes he will (when fit, another one who some have been quick to jump on) will link up midfield with attack a lot better than a Butt-Geremi/Smith partnership would.

We are 12 games into the season and 5 points off 6th placed (which I would be more than satisfied with) Portsmouth who we have a game in hand over.

There are lots of things we can improve upon and a few more players are needed but we certainly arent anywhere near the stage where we should be contemplating the next manager. Keep chopping and changing every time things arent great and we will never move forward.

Good manager, similar ilk to BS. But look how long its taken him at Pompey to get things right. Sam needs a similar amount of time

Exactly people expect miracles, ok Allardyce has made some strange decisions in his short time here but it seems people who expected instant success or weren't too happy with his appointment have used this and blown them out of proportion.

We were left in a mess after our last 2 managers destroyed us, we have signed a lot of new players (which the majority I am happy with) and Allardyce is trying to get the team working to his methods. Barton being out hasn't helped as although he isn't exactly Elano in the creative stakes he will (when fit, another one who some have been quick to jump on) will link up midfield with attack a lot better than a Butt-Geremi/Smith partnership would.

We are 12 games into the season and 5 points off 6th placed (which I would be more than satisfied with) Portsmouth who we have a game in hand over.

There are lots of things we can improve upon and a few more players are needed but we certainly arent anywhere near the stage where we should be contemplating the next manager. Keep chopping and changing every time things arent great and we will never move forward.

Damned by faint praise. For me this is SA's worst sin. He should be trying to find a system which works for the players not trying to force a system on his team.

Damned by faint praise. For me this is SA's worst sin. He should be trying to find a system which works for the players not trying to force a system on his team.

Suppose its worked for him so well in the past he doesn't see why he should change it. He has probably signed most of the starting 11 anyway so I assume he looked on their abilities to play in the set up he uses..

Suppose its worked for him so well in the past he doesn't see why he should change it. He has probably signed most of the starting 11 anyway so I assume he looked on their abilities to play in the set up he uses..

Because he moved teams and he didnt sign Owen, Emre, Milner, NZogbia, Taylor, Given and Harper and seems intent on changing Smith into something Alex Ferguson didn't manage.

Guest stevieintoon

It's going to get worse after the next few games.

It's not we'll sneak our usual lucky home win over the murderers and all will be rosey in the garden of the dense majority :(

Guest stevieintoon

Even when Pompey came up, they rarely resorted to animal like football.

It's going to get worse after the next few games.

It's not we'll sneak our usual lucky home win over the murderers and all will be rosey in the garden of the dense majority :(

any need?

oh and I doubt anyone thinks we're title challengers just yet mate, but to say the ones calling for wholesale change again aren't the dense ones is frankly hilarious.

I dunno if that's what Stevie meant like. I'd agree that loads who go to the home games are happy with any win that papers over ther cracks if that's what he means. I can't see us breaking Liverpool down though myself.

I guess I just don't think the cracks are indicative of a crevice below... :) I think we're still in a rebuilding process, so there's bound to be a ...cracky (for the want of a better phrase) period.

I guess I just don't think the cracks are indicative of a crevice below... :) I think we're still in a rebuilding process, so there's bound to be a ...cracky (for the want of a better phrase) period.

Yeah, I'd go along with (I hope so anyway) I just think we're poor at the minute and have been pretty much all season. I'm all for giving the new manager a lot more time yet though.

Yeah, I'd go along with (I hope so anyway) I just think we're poor at the minute and have been pretty much all season. I'm all for giving the new manager a lot more time yet though.

I'm holding fire till after the Jan window.

I'm holding fire till after the Jan window.

Aye, if he brings in some much needed creativity I think we'd all have to be happy with giving him time. Wonder who'll replace Given when he goes to Arsenal btw :(

we need an Elano, Fabregas, (dare I say it) Solano type midfielder, one unafraid to put his foot on the ball and pick out the runs of Martins, Owen etc.

but is there anyone out there who fits that mould and who'd want to come to Newcastle? we're talking either a young lad looking for first team football at a high level, an untried foreign player or an older player looking for a fat retirement cheque.