Chinese Food

Glasgow Mag

What are your thoughts on the Chinese food you get from takeaways? Is it a staple part of your diet? Could you live without it? Any horror stories?

I myself like it every now and again. Probably have a vegetable curry (with added cashew nuts) with fried rice every couple of months. I never eat meat from a Chinese restaurant though - stems from having sweet and sour chicken as a teenaget, bit through the batter and the chicken was only half-cooked, pink in the middle. Enough to put me off for life, although this was only one time in one restaurant.

Of course, in China they just call it food.

Love it. Never used takeaways much till I moved here, but there's a great one down the road if you like the basics done well. I love eating out in a proper decent Chinese restaurant though, can't beat a set meal for [x] people with all the trappings and trimmings.

Fussy as fuck but I do love a good chinese. Place up the road does a delicious Kung Po chicken. Can't beat an all you can eat place though for the variety (and drink offers depending on where you go :birthday: )

I love Chinese restaurants but I've got a bit sick of takeaways. Wor lass could eat a chinese takaway every night and not get bored (even though she's an excellent cook and make much better stuff herself) but I think she's put me off a bit. Plus I really like Kung Pow (that spelling is probably wrong) and not many takeaways do that.

Mandelay in Jesmond is excellent although it's not just Chinese.

Oh and I hate all you can eat Chinese, they always seem to have been stood out for ages and taste rank.

Edited by David Kelly

What are your thoughts on the Chinese food you get from takeaways? Is it a staple part of your diet? Could you live without it? Any horror stories?

I myself like it every now and again. Probably have a vegetable curry (with added cashew nuts) with fried rice every couple of months. I never eat meat from a Chinese restaurant though - stems from having sweet and sour chicken as a teenaget, bit through the batter and the chicken was only half-cooked, pink in the middle. Enough to put me off for life, although this was only one time in one restaurant.

You never know what you eat when you eat out mate. Bloke I know is a gas fitter and he told me that some of the dirtiest kitchens he's been in are hotels selling supposedly good Bntish food.

I think you've been unlucky and should give it another go. I had food poisoning once from an indian, I presume the chicken was undercooked, or something, but it doesn't stop me going again, although not to that place.

At a chinese, I like everything except sweet and sour. But you could try one of those places where you can go back and get bits of everything, and see the food in front of you.

EDit.....may restore your faith in takeways, because they are just the same really.

Edited by LeazesMag

I go through phases. I like chinees, but get bored of it after having it once a week for a couple of month. Takeaway that is. If eating out, Italian is my first choice then chinees/indian.

One thing the Chinese restaurants do really well is vegetable spring rolls. The supermarket versions are usually minging. Thing is it's really difficult to get the vegetable version up here - the takeaways usually add pork.

do you cook your own chinese food mate, especially curry, because if you do there are a couple of brands of sauce that they sell in Stowell Street, which are spot on.

I love black bean sauce and I haven't found a decent way to get it without ordering in. I rarely get takeaways, though, because I reckon they're a huge waste of money. Fair enough for a special occasion but I'd rather cook.

Can't beat Yum Cha, the Chinese equivilent of Sunday lunch. Steamed gow gees full of seafood, veggie and meat.

The lass has a thing for peking duck pancakes which I don't mind but get sick of very quickly.

Having a chinese step father and the ex-missus having a chinese step mother, the variety of chinese food I experienced in the last 15 years teaches me there is more than sweet and sour or black bean stuff. Chicken feet though still suck and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I eat a shit load of it all cooked at home though. The MSG fucks me up and gives me kermit eyes.

If you can find a good restaurant that is ok though, i like mangos for that or the dodgy looking one at the end of low friars. Take away stuff is shit, it either comes in gravy type gloop or jam and bears no resemblance to anything chinese.