Hitzfeld, Houllier and Van Gaal now in the frame

Tribal

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thing about Hitzfeld not doing well this time round. They're still top of the league aren't they? I know he's spent a lot of money btw.

I read something which suggested that they spent an obscene amount for a German club but are only just ahead of second so it was considered "failure".

They started brilliantly, playing decent football for a change, which was something they tried to focus on. But they lost their momentum quite quickly with a couple of goalless draws where they failed to convert a plentora of chances. They have only lost one game this season though.

The biggest criticism was the draw against Bolton at home, where Hitzfeld took of his best players early because they had to play another games less than 48 hours later but was heavily attacked by Rummenigge ("football is not mathematics"). It seems that Hitzfeld then made his decision not to enter talks about a new contract. It really seems that he isn't really bothered about club football any more. As I've now said a couple of times people really should forget about him. He made clear that he either takes the Swiss job or none at all.

shame but it's encouraging to think mort and ashley are at least sounding out names like hitzfeld and not just the usual suspects like hughes, mcclaren etc

Anyone actually think the 3 names in the title have been sounded out? ITK stuff apart, why go for them after Redknapp? ;)

I don't even think any of the above were considered let alone sounded out...

Me either. They all have far better CVs than Redknapp. Smokescreen imo.

The dossier has me in creases, outstanding.

I may just be dense - some will say there's no "may" involved ;) - but I really don't see what's so funny about it, other than that some crackpots took many hours to put something completely useless together.

p.s. we'll never get any of the names mentioned in the title. This is NUFC not MUFC. We'll be lucky to end up with Hughes.

Anyone actually think the 3 names in the title have been sounded out? ITK stuff apart, why go for them after Redknapp? ;)

Agree - fingers have been burnt with redknap - serious amount of back peddling and spin going on - nobody on the face of the planet who has an ounce of intelligence would look over those cv's and then think that the cockney sad sacks is the most impressive

Unfortunately I fear that is the truth of the matter.

Have to cast the net as wide as possible now and not run rush into anything. There really is no need to rush. This season is a complete write-off so lets just see it out.

Have to cast the net as wide as possible now and not run rush into anything. There really is no need to rush. This season is a complete write-off so lets just see it out.

...and pray we don't get sucked into the relegation battle. there are a worrying number of teams on 20 points, just a couple of wins behind us.

...and pray we don't get sucked into the relegation battle. there are a worrying number of teams on 20 points, just a couple of wins behind us.

The 'only 6 points clear' bit really bothers me. The only thing that calms my nerves is the amount of sides below us. I.e. they can't all keep winning / picking up points as they have to play each other at some point. I am nervous about us though.

The dossier has me in creases, outstanding.

I may just be dense - some will say there's no "may" involved ;) - but I really don't see what's so funny about it, other than that some crackpots took many hours to put something completely useless together.

p.s. we'll never get any of the names mentioned in the title. This is NUFC not MUFC. We'll be lucky to end up with Hughes.

Then they will feel the wraith of the fans again until they do get it right,going round in circles, one day it'll stop and head off in the right direction ;)

If we don't beat Boro and/or Bolton I'll be worried because the other 4 of the next 6 are write-offs imo.

Bolton game is huge imo - could be the game that the season hangs on (relegation dogfight or mid-table comfort zone)

Good call.

We've got to believe we've got it in us to beat Bolton at home even under 'a.n. other'. This would then make the world of difference to how we can afford to approach the rest of the season and ergo how much luxury (in terms of time) we get to look for the next manager.

This is so cliched it's horrific but how would people fel to El Tel being offered silly money just to come in as caretaker til May and see us through? Personally I'd make him an offer he couldnt refuse.

The 'only 6 points clear' bit really bothers me. The only thing that calms my nerves is the amount of sides below us. I.e. they can't all keep winning / picking up points as they have to play each other at some point. I am nervous about us though.

there's usually one team that sinks like a stone and gets sucked into it and we're looking a rudderless ship at the moment. you look at the team on paper and there should be goals in it but i can't see where our next win is coming from at the moment. if we do wait until the summer to recruit the new manager, pearson is going to have to get them organised and playing asap

Edited by Dr Gloom

.com made the point about appointing an assistant and then seeing what the craic is with managers becoming available around the Euro's.

The problem with that is how we may end up in trouble if we appointed a shite care-taker, and a new manager may not have enough time after the Euro's to make the best use of the transfer window.

The thought of Keegan or someone coming in for 5 months could be pretty decent if they'd do it.

If we don't beat Boro and/or Bolton I'll be worried because the other 4 of the next 6 are write-offs imo.

Bolton game is huge imo - could be the game that the season hangs on (relegation dogfight or mid-table comfort zone)

Good call.

We've got to believe we've got it in us to beat Bolton at home even under 'a.n. other'. This would then make the world of difference to how we can afford to approach the rest of the season and ergo how much luxury (in terms of time) we get to look for the next manager.

This is so cliched it's horrific but how would people fel to El Tel being offered silly money just to come in as caretaker til May and see us through? Personally I'd make him an offer he couldnt refuse.

No!

Good call.

No!

Good call.

Thanks, I have to update my avatar now... ;)

Has Martin Allen been mentioned? He's out of work and about the only manager mental enough to want to take us on. ;)

ian holloway too

Just been having a read of 'The Coaching Philosophies of Louis Van Gaal' and he's the man! From the late 90's like,but everything he says on how a squad of players should be managed is spot on.

And i can't see he's went backwards in his thinkings.