Chairman Comment: Manager Situation Addressed

khay

NEWCASTLE United Chairman Chris Mort addresses the vacant managerial position at St. James' Park in his Black n White matchday programme notes for Wednesday's FA Cup tie against Stoke City ...

There has been a great deal of speculation in the past week over who will replace Sam Allardyce as the manager of Newcastle United. The most important thing now is to get the decision right - and lay solid foundations for the future.That is why we will take whatever time is necessary in making the decision.

This will be our first managerial appointment since taking control of the Club, and if we are going to get it right then the new manager will have to satisfy a number of criteria, which include:

- To have the team playing with the right balance of winning football and stylish football. This is probably the most difficult task. There are some clubs in the country where it is essential that the team generally tries to play football with some flair, and this is one of them.In the most difficult league in the world it is only the great managers that can combine that sort of style with winning. We appreciate we will have defeats and losing runs along the way but if the team is not trying to play football "on the carpet" as Sir Bobby Robson recently described it I think they will always struggle to win over the followers of Newcastle United.

- We would like a manager willing to develop the youth side of the club. For too long the club has missed out on too much of the young footballing talent in the region and, these days, that talent also needs to combined with young talent sourced both nationally and internationally.

- A manager that can speak English. There have been media suggestions that we would only appoint a British manager. That is not true. However, we think this is a big enough job without the manager having to operate through an interpreter, so the manager will have to be someone who is able to speak English.

- We need someone willing and able to take on, and cope with, Newcastle United. As a big club with massive potential this is a fabulous club to manage, and some of the candidates we have talked to appreciate that fact. However, we are not currently a Champions League team, and in six seasons out of the last ten we have finished in the bottom half of the Premier League. That means we are not necessarily going to interest a manger who is already at a team playing Champions League football or whose only ambition is to manage a top team in, say, Spain or Italy. We have also seen over recent months the pressures placed on Newcastle United and its manager by some of the press and occasionally by some of the supporters - we need someone who is willing and able to handle that.

from .co.uk

- We need someone willing and able to take on, and cope with, Newcastle United. As a big club with massive potential this is a fabulous club to manage, and some of the candidates we have talked to appreciate that fact. However, we are not currently a Champions League team, and in six seasons out of the last ten we have finished in the bottom half of the Premier League. That means we are not necessarily going to interest a manger who is already at a team playing Champions League football or whose only ambition is to manage a top team in, say, Spain or Italy. We have also seen over recent months the pressures placed on Newcastle United and its manager by some of the press and occasionally by some of the supporters - we need someone who is willing and able to handle that.

Seems like we've been rebuffed by some big boys at the enquiry stage, but I suppose that really is a bit of an eye opener.

Reads as though Jose has already knocked us back (no surprise there of course)...

Possibly - I'd take it as saying they expect a candidate to realise what the club is potentially, not presently - could apply to other people as well.

Well written Id say. I agree with the last paragraph as well. As most of us has said, while the likes of Jose etc would be a dream, it is just that. Big club we may be (in some aspects) we a CL side we are far far from at the moment.

Seems like we've been rebuffed by some big boys at the enquiry stage, but I suppose that really is a bit of an eye opener.

The main thing is it feels like they're at least asking the top people now. For too long it felt like if they weren't managing in the Premiership they wouldn't be considered. It seems that Mort and Ashley are bringing this situation back under control which is something I wouldn't have trusted the pie man to do.

Pretty spot on I would say.

Yup. He's talked the talk, now it's time for him to deliver.

Aye that is the difficult bit. Even FFS might have got it right if there were "top class" managers lining up for the job.

Aye that is the difficult bit. Even FFS might have got it right if there were "top class" managers lining up for the job.

Unlikely. ;)

If you think it's difficult, why do you think Shepherd might have got it right? Never had you down as a fan of his.

If you think it's difficult, why do you think Shepherd might have got it right? Never had you down as a fan of his.

I mean if they were queuing up for one of the "top teams in the world" (or whatever it was), he might have got it right. But barring Robson (who was a special case) they weren't (as could be seen by Souness, Roeder and even Allardyce) and aren't.

Maybe he's the reason they weren't queueing up.

Well I'd say not the only reason given the current situation (although clearly he will have helped create the current situation).

Well I'd say not the only reason given the current situation (although clearly he will have helped create the current situation).

I just meant in general - particularly when Robson went though. Plus the timing hasn't always helped (midseason). In hindsight we probably would have been better getting a caretaker at times. Only not appointing said caretaker on the back of a few results.

Did he not actually say that "top managers from Europe" were queueing up ... only to appoint to the disbelief of most the tosser Souness (or was it Roeder)?

both unfortunately.