Le Fil De Deschamps In/Out De Fonctionnaire!

Andrew Flintoff

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.francefootball.fr/FF/breves2008..._181148Dev.html

The ex-Blues captain is in contact with Newcastle's directors, ready for management once again after his last two experiences at Monaco & Juventus.

Newcastle are today looking for a manager, preferably foreign and possibly French "to give the Magpies a continental style that they don't have", and if the decision hasn't already been made, it's Deschamps, this Tuesday, who's ready to take over the leash. Contacts were first made on Sunday, just after the club's 6-0 hammering at Manchester United. Since then, British managers, both free and with clubs have been on the list, and the name of the ex-France captain was brought up with other names (such as Houllier).

Deschamps is expected to arrive in England or elsewhere in the next few hours to at last meet up to finalise a deal. He will meet up with the club's owner Mike Ashley (who at 39 is the same age as him), and Chairman Chris Mort.

In contact with Manchester City, another Premier League club, in the summer, he rejected the job for personal reasons, most notably because there were no French schools for his children. Although there are also none in Newcastle, Deschamps is desperate to return to management, and since it's not certain there'll be a host of clubs interested in a new manager at the end of the season, here lies a good opportunity to get back into it.

Hmm. How quickly will he be ruled out of the race, like the other 19 manager we've been linked with this week?

I'm pretty certain we're not even going to have time to discuss the new manager before he's unveiled. I think the club will keep it completely under-wraps.

Of all the links, this is the one that grabs me by the balls and f*cks me up the a*se the most. Get him in!

Really? Why?

Why what?

That it grabs him by the balls and fucks him up the arse or why get him in ? :D

Because I like his style of football, is a huge improvement on Hughes, Redknapp, Keegan & Shearer, and I could actually see him fancying the job.

Hmm, I only vaguely remember some games I saw from Monaco, but didn't find it particularly eyecatching. I watched some of the Juve games last season as I thought they would walk it in Seria B with their squad, but was really disappointed. Very dull tbh. I am also not sure if English football would generally suit him. I'd rather have Hughes or the others tbh.

Though, I owe you one for my Baros debacle. So we'll be even if he fails... :D

Edited by Isegrim

I remember him playing an attacking system based around Prso, Giuly, Rothen & Morientes with Evra bombing forward stuffing Deportivo 8-3, going to Stamford Bridge in the Semi Final Second Leg and attacking Chelsea from the off. Can't say I saw much of his time at Juventus, but I'd be more than happy with this one.

I really don't know what to think. I don't follow continental football much so I have no idea how he lines his teams up. Why isn't he still at Juve out of interest?

I'm intruiged as to how Mort came to see him as the answer seeing as how neither him or Ashley are footballing men? Hopefully it's a tip off from Wenger this time rather than that turd Kemsley.

I remember him playing an attacking system based around Prso, Giuly, Rothen & Morientes with Evra bombing forward stuffing Deportivo 8-3, going to Stamford Bridge in the Semi Final Second Leg and attacking Chelsea from the off. Can't say I saw much of his time at Juventus, but I'd be more than happy with this one.

Albeit he had Trezuguet, Del Piero and Camaronesi at his disposal, winning the league with Boumsong also in the squad is a damn impressive feat at any level.

I really don't know what to think. I don't follow continental football much so I have no idea how he lines his teams up. Why isn't he still at Juve out of interest?

I'm intruiged as to how Mort came to see him as the answer seeing as how neither him or Ashley are footballing men? Hopefully it's a tip off from Wenger this time rather than that turd Kemsley.

Or Houllier might have suggested him if he has decided to stay with the French FA.

I saw only the goals from the Deportivo game back then, remember the 'keeper was shocking. From the games against Chelsea I remember Ranieri ("tinkerman") bottling it by brining on Huth to play in midfield. Wasn't it rather Chelsea in the replay who did attack them from the start as they had to overcome the two goal deficit, going ahead only to bottle it again? :D

Can't really remember. Just remember being impressed by Monaco & Porto all the way through that tournament. Think he'd have a presence about him as well and would be able to attract a higher calibre of player.

You might be right, it's probably foremost the disappointment from watching the Juve games that really put me off.

Seriously failing to get worked up by any of the names suggested so far.

Do what I done. Come to terms with the fact that McLaren is out of work and had spoken to Ashley about the role. That they seem to be targeting free managers. Realise that McLaren could end up being the one.

Suddenly, Deschamps & Houllier become very interesting prospects.

:D

If we don't get Deschamps, Shearer and Keegan is next for me.

Anyone else think this is a pile of shit: Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer both want the Newcastle job, but won't work together. (The Mirror)

The wont work together part.

Edited by bawan

Mort with zero football credentials to make the appointment btw. Career lawyer ffs.

How many chairman know anything about football? The finer points of coaching? Which player a team needs?

Chairman tend to be rich men who are good at business. Just like Mort. The toffs in charge of all the big clubs grew up playing rugger!

Mort can go through a CV like anyone else and im sure hes got enough sense to not just sit in his office looking on wikipedia for the next manager. Im sure they have advisors and experts that are helping out.

Seriously failing to get worked up by any of the names suggested so far.

Do what I done. Come to terms with the fact that McLaren is out of work and had spoken to Ashley about the role. That they seem to be targeting free managers. Realise that McLaren could end up being the one.

Suddenly, Deschamps & Houllier become very interesting prospects.

:D

Aye point taken Mr Birkett!

Think it's just got to the stage where I've watched us lurch from one shit appointment to another for the umpteenth time and it's hard to get enthusiastic anymore. Even if we appointed within the next five minutes, regardless of who it was I don't think I'd have any feelings one way or th other until the end of the season and I'd seen the results. Fuck euphoria these days, we've only ever known false dawns. The next man has to prove they're different for the toon and their reputations mean fuck all to me at this stage.