Alan Shearer

Tribal

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After that 'statement from a friend' that he was interested in the job came out he was contacted by the club who told him they wanted an experienced manager. He then put out the stuff about wanting the job (already knowing he wouldn't be offered it). Always putting the club first like :nufc:

Ooh, can I jump in here, it's clearly the fashionable thing to do.

Get a grip lads. He loves this club and wants to be involved.

Loves himself a hell of a lot more imo.

Shearer could be just the answer in one way. He'd provide pragmatism to Keegan's fantasy. The problem is, he's too cold to buy into the dream and wants the glory for himself. Keegan and the board need everyone on the same side, I'm just not convinced Shearer would want to be part of it. Hasn't exactly sent out any 'come and get me' pleas has he?

Alex, something gives me the impression that maybe you dont quite view Shearer as the unassuming Geordie folk hero of legend.

On a strictly football basis, do you think he has the potential do be a succesful manager in the future

Hypothetically aye. Takes more than just a winning mentality though as many great former players have proven over the years.

Alex, something gives me the impression that maybe you dont quite view Shearer as the unassuming Geordie folk hero of legend.

On a strictly football basis, do you think he has the potential do be a succesful manager in the future

He does strike me as a bit of a Hoddle.

I don't mean he has a deep hatred of the handicapped, just that he'll have an ego that will alienate his players.

I don't mean he has a deep hatred of the handicapped, just that he'll have an ego that will alienate his players.

Wasn't one of Hoddle's problems as well that when he was training at Spurs he still tried to prove he was the best player on the training pitch as well.

Wasn't one of Hoddle's problems as well that when he was training at Spurs he still tried to prove he was the best player on the training pitch as well.

exacly!

At France '98 (or in the training camp before it rather) he was reportedly trying to get Beckham to do a set-piece and he was struggling to do it so he said (in front of everyone) 'You obviously don't have that skill in your locker' or similar.

I notice he said he was told last week that he wouldn't be getting the job, obviously couldn't get his 'friends' to leak that news to the press and appeared to prefer having his name continue to be linked with the job for another few days.

I notice he said he was told last week that he wouldn't be getting the job, obviously couldn't get his 'friends' to leak that news to the press and appeared to prefer having his name continue to be linked with the job for another few days.

Exactly.

Loves himself a hell of a lot more imo.

Probably, but equally given that the eventual appointment was rather a surprise you can't really blame him for keeping himself in the picture.

The Shearer media campaign was always more about the media trying to sniff out a/any story than him desperately trying to get the job - frankly if he had been then the chances are he could have HAD the job after Roeder (and maybe before Roeder).

Publicising massively out of context semi-quotes is the media's stock in trade after all.

And when it comes to Newcastle they don't even restrain themselves to that (distorting the truth to the point of un-recognisability to get a "story"), but even make things up entirely (look at the recent Ashley story and indeed all the other Ashley stories that have been complete BS).

I would move away from Shearer this time around and see what KK brings in by himself. I think Shearer probably has got an ego too big to be an asst so would like to see someone who has a bit of tactical nous come into the camp to help KK out.

He's gone about it the wrong way then. Leaking private phone calls through Alan Oliver was hardly going to endear him to the new regime.

I think Keegan is the one man who can not be overshadowed by Al. I'm a bit sick of him tbh....he's done a lot less for the club than Keegan did in that Keegan left when he thought he'd taken us as far as he could. Shearer stayed on and made it difficult for anyone to do something for the good of the team that didn't involve him.

I think Keegan is the one man who can not be overshadowed by Al. I'm a bit sick of him tbh....he's done a lot less for the club than Keegan did in that Keegan left when he thought he'd taken us as far as he could. Shearer stayed on and made it difficult for anyone to do something for the good of the team that didn't involve him.

:icon_lol:

:icon_lol:

Insisting on being the highest paid player?

Not allowing Gullit to get on with the job?

Reacting badly to Robson dropping him?

He was a great player but I didn't like EVERYTHING he did.