Jimmy Greaves: Kev living in the past

Jimbo

IS it just me or has the second coming of Kevin Keegan at Newcastle got the look of disaster about it?

Special K, King Kev or whatever else you want to call Mighty Mouse, turned 57 this week.

But it was hardly a birthday to celebrate as Newcastle start to sink into the mire. His record since returning to St James’ Park reads: Won 0, Drawn 2, Lost 3, Goals for 2, Goals against 11.

Granted two of these games were against Arsenal. Yet it was more the second-half capitulation against Aston Villa last week that should have set alarm bells ringing in Geordieland.

Keegan went whiter as the game went on and was unable to do anything about it.

Some are already wondering whether Mike Ashley was hasty in sacking Sam Allardyce. I am convinced of it.

While Allardyce is a manager for the time Keegan is a manager behind the times — from a distant, if exciting, past.

Cutting edge

People only had to witness the way Keegan’s Manchester City team played in his final season to realise the magic had gone.

In the three years since he quietly departed Eastlands he claimed he had not watched a match. Hardly preparation for one of the high-pressured jobs in football.

Mere knowledge of what this special club and area was all about was enough, he claimed. So why did he allow the appointment of Dennis Wise?

Allardyce proved at Bolton he was at the cutting edge of what was new in football. He used the latest technology and methods to get the best from his players.

He was trying to do the same and needed time for the team to adjust. But it wasn’t the football of Keegan’s era we were told so it wasn’t good enough.

But this nonsense about preferring to lose 4-3 rather than win 1-0 is just that. I’ve not met a Newcastle fan who came away from Anfield happy at having lost 4-3 in 1996.

I have met plenty of fans happy at having won a game 1-0.

When Keegan was appointed people who were still mastering Subbuteo the last time he was at St James’ told us it was the best thing for the club.

Why, how, what!

If he was that good England would have won Euro 2000 and Manchester City would have challenged for the Premiership on the back of his £50million spending spree.

The point is he was the right man for a certain time at St James’ but that time has gone. Dreams are just that. This one is turning into a nightmare. Next game up is Manchester United at home. Good luck!

Says the man who hasnt been in football for decades and is living off his past. Have they had to dig this deep to find someone to slag him off?

Aren't most ex-footballers though who are in his position?

Says the man who hasnt been in football for decades and is living off his past. Have they had to dig this deep to find someone to slag him off?

What position is that? Slagging off our manager when hes been out of the game for donkeys years and has no connection to the club? Its a shit article by someone looking for a bit of publicity and he can fuck off. Im glad he was dropped for Hurst.

I liked this guy's response:

CRAIGG // Feb 16, 2008 at 12:09

Keegan said in his autobiography that Jimmy Greaves his taken the piss out of his every move throughout his career:

As a Player Keegan:

Two-time european player of the year 78 & 79

3 xEnglish league titles

1 x German league title

1 x European Cup (Champions league)

2 x UEFA Cups

1 x F.A. Cup

1 x 2nd Div Promotion

As a Manager:

2 x Div 1 Titles

1 x Div 2 Title

2 x Runner up in premiership

Compared to:

As a Player Greaves:

2 x F.A. Cups & 1 x UEFA Cup

He was dropped for the world cup final

(Alf Ramsey knew caught him wanking on a Bobby Morre photo)

As a Manager :

Sorry he just went on the piss and did a shit T.V. Show

Greaves... "It's a funny old game" - knob

What position is that? Slagging off our manager when hes been out of the game for donkeys years and has no connection to the club? Its a shit article by someone looking for a bit of publicity and he can fuck off. Im glad he was dropped for Hurst.

You knew exactly what I meant by the question.

Greaves has always had a shite opinion of us so this hardly surprises me - i remember in keegans first full season when he took us up and sir john hall was interviewed on that piss poor excuse for a tv show with him and ian st john and, honestly, when sir john was telling them that exciting things were happening it looked like the pair of them were licking piss off a step - can't stand either - wankers

As an aside he was dropped for Hurst because he'd been injured prior to the World Cup and wasn't fully fit btw. Would have probably been a different story if they'd had subs at that World Cup but Ramsey thought he was too big a risk.

Edited by alex

Allardyce proved at Bolton he was at the cutting edge of what was new in football. He used the latest technology and methods to get the best from his players.

He was trying to do the same and needed time for the team to adjust. But it wasn’t the football of Keegan’s era we were told so it wasn’t good enough.

But this nonsense about preferring to lose 4-3 rather than win 1-0 is just that. I’ve not met a Newcastle fan who came away from Anfield happy at having lost 4-3 in 1996.

I have met plenty of fans happy at having won a game 1-0.

See this bit just shits me to tears. For all the wank clueless media twats go on about Allardyce changing things, he wasn't even able inspire/set out HIS team to win 1-0. Draws and loses against the worst teams in the league were proof enough Allardyce was all piss and wind.

Never liked Greaves as a person but he was one hell of a striker - he did for us on a regular basis

and as for his record you have to remember that English clubs didn't play much Yuropean football compared to the 70's & 80's - same with internationals

Greaves back on the drink again. Sad to see. On the subject, I'm surprised his old mucka v Ian St John hasn't had a dig at us yet as he seems to hate us with a passion.

still remember his almost despairing tone when we scored a goal in europe against somebody, may as well have said "oh no Newcastle have scored"

Greaves back on the drink again. Sad to see. On the subject, I'm surprised his old mucka v Ian St John hasn't had a dig at us yet as he seems to hate us with a passion.

still remember his almost despairing tone when we scored a goal in europe against somebody, may as well have said "oh no Newcastle have scored"

Was it not away to Croatia Zagreb when Ketsbaia scored at the end of extra time?

Where does this all stem back from? I'm sure my old man told me he had verbally agreed to sign for us then fucked off to Liverpool at the last minute. Since then he hasn't exactly sang our praises.