File sharing - good or bad?

Wiley

Are you saying you've never downloaded, listened to or installed a single piece of software AF that you should have paid for??

38155[/snapback]

No, I'm not saying that.

I used to use cracked software in my studio. It costs over £600 and I felt it was too much. So, I got a free pirate copy.

Over time however, it occured to me that I have no reason to feel unhappy about people stealing music if I was stealing software.

So I bought the legitimate version and have the credit card bill to prove it.

38172[/snapback]

But you've still broken the law and are liable to prosecution whether you paid for it later or not....

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is a criminal act that affects my industry.

It's not hard to understand why I have a problem with it is it?

38146[/snapback]

It's understandable, that doesn't make it right or does it make it the only opinion in the industry.

Thought you had a trade business btw, so how much are you really making from your music? There are plenty of bigger fish who don't agree with you.

Some musicians are less concerned with the industry and more concerned with their talent.

38171[/snapback]

No, I'm a sole TRADER which is a kind of self employment.

I make an average living from music. It's hard going and there's no real shortcuts for what I do (songwriting, TV music). I love what I do though, so I consider myself fortunate.

I'm going to be looking for a publishing deal in the spring after I have finished recording my album. I probably won't release it commercially, but hope to have songs covered by bigger artists.

38187[/snapback]

No I genuinely thought you were a plumber or something, must be thinking of someone else on here. I do get that self employed people can work in the music industry.

Your seem to think that musicians could only disagree with your argument for personal benefit, so that small bands can get themselves out there. Some people feel there are larger issues at stake.

You sound like you're really a business man as opposed to an artist to be honest. Just from my experience.

38195[/snapback]

If I was a businessman, I wouldn't be at this end of the music industry. :lol:

Anyway have a good weekend everyone, let's give Citeh a good tonking.

Souey. Play N'Zogbia. That's an order.

:razz:

Edited by Asprilla's foreskin

Are you saying you've never downloaded, listened to or installed a single piece of software AF that you should have paid for??

38155[/snapback]

No, I'm not saying that.

I used to use cracked software in my studio. It costs over £600 and I felt it was too much. So, I got a free pirate copy.

Over time however, it occured to me that I have no reason to feel unhappy about people stealing music if I was stealing software.

38172[/snapback]

But you've still broken the law and are liable to prosecution whether you paid for it later or not....

38210[/snapback]

Ok.

Thanks. :lol:

38155[/snapback]

No, I'm not saying that.

38172[/snapback]

So you bought the software later after downloading it for free first. Which is people on here have said they do.

Hypocrasy tbh.

38176[/snapback]

If you think everyone here goes out and buys every download they liked then you're mistaken. IMO. TBH.

38193[/snapback]

If I download music and I like it, I buy the album...

If I don't like it, I delete the file - simple as....

If I was a businessman, I wouldn't be at this end of the music industry.  :lol:

38211[/snapback]

Statement makes no sense, you seem to be labouring under the illusion that 'businessmen' are in some special club. Some of the people I deal with I still can't believe.

I meant you seem far more concerned about money, not really an artist.

If you think everyone here goes out and buys every download they liked then you're mistaken. IMO. TBH.

38193[/snapback]

Nothing to say they do or don't tbh. Innocent until proven guilty?

Edited by Sima

I heard Lance Armstrong used the money he garnered from selling pirated CDs to buy his performance enhancing drugs* :lol:

*allegedly

Edited by Elric

Of course U2 won't miss the 79p, but if people stop getting used to paying for their music, ultimately it's harder for smaller acts to breakthrough.

or maybe smaller acts could legally give away their music on the internet for free to gather a bit of a following?

Actually, a lot of smaller acts very happily make their music available to people online... it's a great way of getting more people to hear their stuff. And if people like it, people will buy the CD, because they'll well, want to. And they'll also want to support the band.

My Space is full of bands letting you download their stuff.

As it says on one of my mates CD's "unauthorised duplication of this cd is an infringement of all applicable laws but is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED".

If I was a businessman, I wouldn't be at this end of the music industry.  :lol:

38211[/snapback]

Statement makes no sense, you seem to be labouring under the illusion that 'businessmen' are in some special club. Some of the people I deal with I still can't believe.

I meant you seem far more concerned about money, not really an artist.

38219[/snapback]

The image of an artist in your eyes doesn't match mine.

The only people I know who aren't trying to make money, are people with rich parents or weekend wannabes.

You can't just swagger around in a pair of leather trousers waiting for success. :razz:

I'm writing an album and trying to get a publishing deal but I also have to make a living.

The image of an artist in your eyes doesn't match mine.

The only people I know who aren't trying to make money, are people with rich parents or weekend wannabes.

You can't just swagger around in a pair of leather trousers waiting for success.  :lol:

I'm writing an album and trying to get a publishing deal but I also have to make a living.

38286[/snapback]

Ah right yes, the poor artist pose. Suprised to hear you play the class card really. You're middle class aren't you? And the working classes in the UK are amongst the most priveleged people in the world.

What are your jingles about? Baked beans?

I'm not buying this "I download a song and then if I like it I'll buy it" malarkey. Why would you if you've already got the song?

I love the way the thieves take umbrage at being called thieves though. :lol: "But it's the music industry! They charge too much so I scavenge."

Ah right yes, the poor artist pose.  Suprised to hear you play the class card really.  You're middle class aren't you?  And the working classes in the UK are amongst the most priveleged people in the world.

What are your jingles about?  Baked beans?

38296[/snapback]

What's your problem? Are you a frustrated artist/musician who ended up working in a boring 9-5 job?

You sound like it.

I'm not buying this "I download a song and then if I like it I'll buy it" malarkey.  Why would you if you've already got the song?

I love the way the thieves take umbrage at being called thieves though. :lol:  "But it's the music industry!  They charge too much so I scavenge."

38328[/snapback]

I agree.

The logic being "everyone else is doing it".

I heard Lance Armstrong used the money he garnered from selling pirated CDs to buy his performance enhancing drugs* :lol:

*allegedly

38237[/snapback]

REALLY!!!!

I have forwarded your allegations to Mr Arnstrong's lawyers.... its well known he never did anything like that - Dr Ferrari says so

I pay for all the music i download, a one off payment of £20. So at the end of the day I'm still paying for my music it just happens to be a lot cheaper.

Asprilla, musician my arse. I'd put money on that you've never sold a record or jingle in your life. The only musical note you've ever produced is on some old bloke's blue vein trumpet in the central station toilets. You've only made them posts to be contreversial and to get someone to talk to you.

Your shit stinks you pasty eating cunt!

I pay for all the music i download, a one off payment of £20. So at the end of the day I'm still paying for my music it just happens to be a lot cheaper.

Asprilla, musician my arse. I'd put money on that you've never sold a record or jingle in your life. The only musical note you've ever produced is on some old bloke's blue vein trumpet in the central station toilets. You've only made them posts to be contreversial and to get someone to talk to you.

Your shit stinks you pasty eating cunt!

38382[/snapback]

:lol::razz:;):)

Wacky darling, if I was lying, don't you think I'd have said something a bit more glamourous?!

:):):angry::(

BTW, what does your shit smell like you stottie munching inbred?

Wacky darling,

38394[/snapback]

Looks like i was right about the central station malarky :lol:

As it happens i could imagine you doing the likes of the budget windows jingle, it's very annoying. What instrument do you play the one string banjo?

Wacky darling,

38394[/snapback]

As it happens i could imagine you doing the likes of the budget windows jingle, it's very annoying. What instrument do you play the one string banjo?

38397[/snapback]

Wacky, are you.....you know......bicurious? You seem very pent up about something.

It's ok if you are, you're in a good place right now. Let your truth out. We're HERE for you. :razz:

Wacky darling,

38394[/snapback]

38397[/snapback]

Wacky, are you.....you know......bicurious? You seem very pent up about something.

It's ok if you are, you're in a good place right now. Let your truth out. We're HERE for you. :razz:

38403[/snapback]

Unfortunately you are

;)

Also, what bit about quoting don't you understand?

Your posts look like teletext when the aerial's fucked.

38407[/snapback]

What bit about "fuck off, no one likes you" don't you understand.

:lol:

38434[/snapback]

Atta boy Wacky, let it all out. That pent up frustration!

Good Wacky.

Now go and do something positive. Like go window shopping for soft furnishings. Maybe knock up a mood board. Let your imagination run riot.

*waits for neanderthal uneducated response*

Also, what bit about quoting don't you understand?

Your posts look like teletext when the aerial's fucked.

38407[/snapback]

What bit about "fuck off, no one likes you" don't you understand.

:lol:

38434[/snapback]

Atta boy Wacky, let it all out. That pent up frustration!

Good Wacky.

Now go and do something positive. Like go window shopping for soft furnishings. Maybe knock up a mood board. Let your imagination run riot.

*waits for neanderthal uneducated response*

38435[/snapback]

Your missus is shagging around behind your back, you know it but your too weak to do anything about it. Hows that grab you?

:razz: