Smith away to Sunderland

Guest Stevie

Guest Stevie
Smith emerges as Sunderland target

07:30 March, 12, 2008

Sunderland Football Club are plotting a summer raid on their archrivals for Alan Smith.

The England international has failed to make an impression at Newcastle United following his £6million summer move from Manchester United, and he is still waiting for his first Magpies goal.

Although Kevin Keegan still considers the former Leeds United ace as part of his first team plans, reports suggest he could be one of the players he ships out of St James Park at the end of the season.

Roy Keane played with Smith during their time at Old Trafford and he hopes to land him for a bargain £4million, and he will try to entice the 27-year-old by offering him regular first team football, as a striker, at the Stadium of Light.

Considering the source I would say this is far from cast iron but I hope there's an element of truth in it. It's a shame because I actually like Smith, he comes as across as a good lad, who will give everything he's got. However, I also like my dad, but I fuckin don't want to see him running around in a toon shirt for the same reasons I don't want Smith. Howay Roy sort it oot, Smith has 3 dogs too.

I think some of the vitriol aimed at him at times is a disgrace if I'm being honest, it's not his fault he's not good enough and gets picked every week. There's far more wasters at this club than Alan Smith who's a model pro, when you've got people like Viduka leeching off us, I think it's a disgrace.

The only time Smith looked anything like the player we all thought he could be was his first time out against Sampdoria when he played as an out and out striker...

Why Ferguson, Allardyce and now Keegan have insisted on playing him in midfield is beyond the realm of comprehension. He's completely bloody ineffective.

Agree to an extent with what 2J says - some of the hassle he gets crosses the line. For a bloke constantly being played out of position - he just gets on with it.

The only time Smith looked anything like the player we all thought he could be was his first time out against Sampdoria when he played as an out and out striker...

Why Ferguson, Allardyce and now Keegan have insisted on playing him in midfield is beyond the realm of comprehension. He's completely bloody ineffective.

Agree to an extent with what 2J says - some of the hassle he gets crosses the line. For a bloke constantly being played out of position - he just gets on with it.

He's played enough games up front and still not even got close to scoring, man. But even though I've never liked him as a player, I have to say Jonny is right when he says that Viduka deserves more criticism.

I think some of the vitriol aimed at him at times is a disgrace if I'm being honest, it's not his fault he's not good enough and gets picked every week. There's far more wasters at this club than Alan Smith who's a model pro, when you've got people like Viduka leeching off us, I think it's a disgrace.

Word.

He's played enough games up front and still not even got close to scoring, man. But even though I've never liked him as a player, I have to say Jonny is right when he says that Viduka deserves more criticism.

To be fair, I'm not sure anyone would really look like scoring for us at the moment.

Viduka put in some useful performances when he could be arsed though. I actually rather have moody or inconsistent players who at least occasionally give you value for money than players who get praise for "trying" or "caring".

Edited by Isegrim

Viduka put in some useful performances when he could be arsed though. I actually rather have moody or inconsistent players who at least occasionally give you value for money than players who get praise for "trying" or "caring".

The problem with Viduka is you have to add fit to that list too.

I agree completely, but talking about our current squad of players, I'd rather apply that rule to Smith vs Martins. Martins may be frustrating and brainless, but I'd least he's dangerous. Smith on the other hand is just a one-dimensional trier.

Viduka is a different case in that he's talented and I'd prefer him to start ahead of both Smith and Martins, but the fact that he blatantly can't be arsed to declare himself fit makes him a leech.

What I find more frustrating than anything about Viduka is that when he can be arsed, he's the perfect foil for either Smith, Martins or Owen..

We need to look for yet another big striker this summer - Ashton perhaps, particularly if he's as pissed off at West Ham as reports will have you believe.

I think with Viduka when you watch him play, obviously when he's holding up the ball his awareness of players around him is top drawer, if only we had pacy players around him with plenty of movement when he did play. It would certainly add something to our team without a doubt.

i love a tryer. but if he's going to play up front it helps if he can pitch in with the occasional goal.

smith is definitely our worst signing of recent years. imagine the stick he'd be getting as a striker who has played most of our games this season without scoring if he was a foreigner

i love a tryer. but if he's going to play up front it helps if he can pitch in with the occasional goal.

smith is definitely our worst signing of recent years. imagine the stick he'd be getting as a striker who has played most of our games this season without scoring if he was a foreigner

Worse than the likes of Amadady Faye, Boumsong or Luque? I'm everything but a fan of Smith because of his volatile style, but saying he is the worst signing of recent years is way over the top iyam.

Worse than the likes of Amadady Faye, Boumsong or Luque? I'm everything but a fan of Smith because of his volatile style, but saying he is the worst signing of recent years is way over the top iyam.

my opinion of course but i'd put smith on par with all of the above. he came with a big price tag, and as a striker not to have scored one goal all season, he'll be one of the main reasons why we go down (if we do). you won't stay up if your strikers don't score goals.

my opinion of course but i'd put smith on par with all of the above. he came with a big price tag, and as a striker not to have scored one goal all season, he'll be one of the main reasons why we go down (if we do). you won't stay up if your strikers don't score goals.

Smith is a decent player playing crap in a crap team. He was just not what we needed when we signed him. I have no doubt he would perform better with the players around him doing better as well. The not scoring argument is a bit too simplistic for me. I wouldn't be bothered about his scoring record if his all around game benefited his striking partners, which actually was the case in some of the game he played up front. Anyway how many games did he play up front in total and against which teams?

Smith is a decent player playing crap in a crap team. He was just not what we needed when we signed him. I have no doubt he would perform better with the players around him doing better as well. The not scoring argument is a bit too simplistic for me. I wouldn't be bothered about his scoring record if his all around game benefited his striking partners, which actually was the case in some of the game he played up front. Anyway how many games did he play up front in total and against which teams?

i've no idea. but i know he's started a fair share of them up front. and he's been a first choice starting lineup all season. to not register one goal as an attacking player (even one who plays in midfield as well as up front) is pretty pathetic, especially as he cost £7m. he's definitely one of the premiership's biggest flops of the season and one of our worst value for money buys - and god knows there have been a few of those in recent times.