Favourite Books

catmag

a book called the silver sword and any anthony horowitz books. me mam used to bang on about the tanglewood mysteries to me but it was shite! also famous five, the hardy boys etc... and then those shit horror stories where you could make your own choices and flick through to different pages.

fave book now has got to be the far corner by harry pearson

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was a bit of a geek at school and read for fun, catcher in the rye and 1984 were 2 of my faves and we had them scrubbed off the curriculum at school! facists. should hav gone to school in america! you can do courses in golf course management and 10pin bowling at high school over here!

yeah thats the one. they read the first couple of pages out in assembly once and i enjoyed it so nicked it from the school library. about a group of kids travelling across poland during the war to meet up with their dad. pretty good shit!

The Silver Sword by Ian Serraillier? My primary school made us read it, I remember not enjoying it.

Catcher in the Rye when you were a kid, Dan?

3615[/snapback]

Oops. I just read the 'Favourite Books' thing in the title.

The Silver Sword by Ian Serraillier? My primary school made us read it, I remember not enjoying it.

Catcher in the Rye when you were a kid, Dan?

3615[/snapback]

Oops. I just read the 'Favourite Books' thing in the title.

3630[/snapback]

I read Catcher in the Rye, and Holden Caulfield seemed quite normal to me.

Is that a good sign? :razz:

JD Salingers "The Catcher in the Rye" is a book i must have re-read more times than any other, Frank Herberts "Dune" books are also a personal favourite from years gone by.

When I was around 13 or 14 I remember reading all of Dahl's stuff and then I came across "My Uncle Oswald" which was probably sold to me by accident - after reading about peaches the size of houses and chocolate it was a shock to come across a book about a bloke trying to sleep with every nationality in the world (and succeeding) and a young women who he hires to collect seamen (for selling to rich women) of famous people living in the 1920s... all of it in graphic detail. It defo made an impression on me.

:razz:

Anyway, William Gibson's Neuromancer comes to mind for fave books of all time.

Read almost all of the Lone Wolf series by Joe Dever (most were gamebooks).

Class they were, never played one properly though. :blush:

Remember I had a favourite book I was always borrowing from the library; The Giant Jam Sandwich. Can't remember who wrote it but it was class :razz: Always made me hungry as well.

George's Marvelous Medicine was my favourite Roald Dahl book I think, that or The Twits :angry:

I've just ordered the faraway tree books :angry:

For my niece of course :razz:

3747[/snapback]

Like I've bought all the Harry Potter books- for my sons of course.

Money and American Psycho are my most read books. Probably says a lot more about me than anything else.

Theres a great book I read years ago but I cant remember the name. It was about the rise of the Fifth (?) Reich. The story was the Nazis realise they were going to lose the war and sent off couples across the globe to make sure that their offspring would fulfill the nazi plan years later. In the novel a journalist uncovers it all as there is a conspiracy to assinate the president(?). I'd love to read it again if anyone can tell me the name of it

As a child I remember loving The Chronicles of Narnia books and anything by Roald Dahl. I also enjoyed The Borrowers books. In my early teens I loved The Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird is still without doubt one of the best books I've ever read. I then got into stuff like Jack Kerouac, William Burroughs and Charles Bukowski.

I only read two authors as a kid really, Roald Dahl and then Stephen King. Most of Dahl's books were fringing on horror anyway so then reading King was a natural progression.

As for Asterix, I used to have everyone in the series, loved it. Reminds me of being in Spain, which is where I used to buy them. Very clever, and slightly Pythonesque I thought.

Enid Blyton books - Malory Towers, St Clare's, Famous Five & Secret Seven (but the S7 was always a bit naff)

Roald Dahl books - especially George's Marvellous Medicine, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and Fantastic Mr Fox

The Goosebumps books and also Point Horror because my mam always said I was too young to read them

Also, for some reason, I really liked Danielle Steel - No Greater Love...

EDIT.. How on EARTH did I forget - The Babysitter's Club!! I recently bought the last ever one.. :icon_lol:

Quality. Had loads of them but did you actually do it properly?

I always attempted it but then gave up

turn to page 32 to go through the right door

turn to page 128 to go through the left door

*turns to page 128*

A large spike impales you through the face

you are dead

"Fuck!!"

*turns to page 32*

Edited by luckypierre