Barton refuses to take £30k pay-cut

Jimbo

Joey Barton refuses Newcastle's £30k per week pay cut

By Alan Nixon 11/06/2008

Related Articles

Joey Barton put his future on the line last night by rejecting Newcastle's demand for a £30,000-a-week pay cut - pushing Toon towards sacking him.

The jailed midfielder, 25, is unhappy that he is being asked to give up £6million during the remainder of his contract in a measure that smacks of saving money as much as punishment.

Barton refused to speak to Newcastle officials yesterday when they gave him a 'sign or else' ultimatum - and the Scouser is prepared to stand his ground. Barton missed the deadline to accept Newcastle's offer of a revised deal - and now the Toon management will start the process of terminating his contract.

However Barton will not take that lying down, despite serving a six-month sentence in Liverpool's Walton jail.

Advertisement

Sources close to him say he feels the penalty is far too high - and he doubts Newcastle's motives for coming up with the pay cut suggestion.

The fact that Toon offered him a deal to stay weakens their hand if they try to sack him, especially as he could be out of prison for pre-season.

From an admittedly legally ignorant pov, I think we're fucked in sacking him by offering him the cut as this says - should have sacked him and let him come crawling for a compromise imo.

This business has always appeared like some sort of blackmail to me, rather than some sort of punishment.

I'm not surprised he wont take the pay cut so NUFC will have to sack him. Probably best to sack him and just draw a line under this sorry affair once and for all. Shame really, as I thought he would have done really well here.

From an admittedly legally ignorant pov, I think we're fucked in sacking him by offering him the cut as this says - should have sacked him and let him come crawling for a compromise imo.

I've no idea how it would affect our ability to sack him but I assume that Mort would have taken advice from his mates in employment law before making the decision to offer him reduced terms.

I suspect he will be booted out if he's found guilty in the Dabo assault case

I still can't believe that we didn't have a deal in place with City whereby we got a discount if he went down!

We allegedly do, but only for the Dabo thing. Can't see why we City would have agreed to any kind of deal with regards any offence being commited after the transfer.

It always seemed like a player on the cheap thing more than anything else, he'd have been sacked straight away otherwise.

On the other hand if Barton is unwilling to show any level of compromise then I suspect nothing with ever change him and he'll be back for a long term stretch sooner or later.

Just fucking sack him. If there isn't a break clause triggered by a custodial sentence in the contract I'd be astonished.

Basically, sling it you Scouse twat.

The saddest thing is we'll lose out on the money we paid for him just for some other club to snatch him up on a free as soon as he's out of our door.

The saddest thing is we'll lose out on the money we paid for him just for some other club to snatch him up on a free as soon as he's out of our door.

Well I think that's why we waited until we saw what was going to happen with the Mutu case. He has been told that he has to pay Chelsea £8/9m due to the transfer fee they lost out on by sacking him so going by Barton's current transfer value we could hope to sue him for around £3.60.

Well I think that's why we waited until we saw what was going to happen with the Mutu case. He has been told that he has to pay Chelsea £8/9m due to the transfer fee they lost out on by sacking him so going by Barton's current transfer value we could hope to sue him for around £3.60.

:)

I'm sure if Allardyce gets the Blackburn job he'll be circling like an obsese vulture ready to snap him up.

I'm sure if Allardyce gets the Blackburn job he'll be circling like an obsese vulture ready to snap him up.

Loads of clubs will, if the price is right.

mainImage.jpg

If other clubs want him, then they can have him. I wonder how long it will be before players at other clubs will warn their manager that if they sign Barton they will be looking to move on elsewhere ?? Let's face it, would you like him in your squad ?? The man's a walking timebomb.

Edited by snakehips

If other clubs want him, then they can have him. I wonder how long it will be before players at other clubs will warn their manager that if they sign Barton they will be looking to move on elsewhere ?? Let's face it, would you like him in your squad ?? The man's a walking timebomb.

I still reckon scally bashing is the reasonable reaction to them, it may be technically illegal, but that doesn't make it wrong, just illegal. :)

I wonder if we can get most of our money back?

Can we fire him, but retain his registration? Or have I just made all of that sentence up?

Some articles seem to suggest that - by "Fire" I think that implies stop paying him which obviously means he can't play but the registration means he's our to sell.

Can we fire him, but retain his registration? Or have I just made all of that sentence up?

Some articles seem to suggest that - by "Fire" I think that implies stop paying him which obviously means he can't play but the registration means he's our to sell.

If we fire him we're also releasing his registration so he would be free to play for another club.