Newcastle stars Michael Owen and Joey Barton warned about pay cuts

Scottish Mag

England star Michael Owen will provide the most high-profile resistance to Newcastle owner Mike Ashley's bold plan to slash £10million off the Toon wage bill.

Ashley has pledged to make a massive reduction in the club's spiralling wage costs his major target next season.

Owen, who is paid £105,000 a week, and £60,000-a-week Joey Barton - currently serving a six-month jail sentence for assault and affray - have been warned they will have to accept pay cuts totalling £3.5m a year if they want to stay.

Ashley is desperate to reduce the Magpies' wage bill, which is believed to have risen to almost £70m in 2007-08 after jumping from £52.2m to £62.4m in the previous season.

Only the big four - Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool - fork out more on wages than Newcastle.

And with Ashley looking to cap the majority of salaries at about the £40,000-a-week mark, his policy also threatens big earners such as Obafemi Martins, Mark Viduka, Alan Smith, Damien Duff and Geremi.

That quintet all earn £50,000 a week or more.

A Newcastle insider has revealed that Ashley is determined to trim a wage bill that has shot up by nearly a third in two years.

He said: "The days of crazy salaries here are over.

"Ashley wants value for money and all future salary negotiations are going to reflect that.

"Alan Smith cost Newcastle £6m and is on £3m a year, but didn't manage a single competitive goal last season.

"He has another four years on that deal.

"Joey Barton is on the same money and also has four years left on his contract, and is in jail.

"Michael Owen cost £16m and £15m in wages over three seasons and has scored 20 goals.

That works out at £1.5m a goal.

"At the other end of the scale England Under-21 skipper Steven Taylor earns less than £10,000 a week.

"Ashley is determined that the wage scale becomes fairer and more manageable.

"He knows that Everton made Europe last season with none of their players earning over £50,000 a week and that is the sort of salary level he wants.

"So the big earners at Newcastle will have a simple choice - they either take a pay cut or they go elsewhere.

"It will be a difficult balancing act but one that Ashley believes is necessary."

Barton has already indicated that he won't accept a wage cut, despite his incarceration.

He faces another assault trial later this month.

While negotiations between the Owen camp and Newcastle are ongoing, the club's initial suggestion that he takes a £2m-a-year pay cut on a two-season extension from July 2009 got an icy reception.

Ashley will now take personal charge of the wage negotiations and attempt to find a salary compromise that will satisfy manager Kevin Keegan's desire to keep the player.

But with 28-year-old Owen able to negotiate a Bosman free from next January it is difficult to see how Ashley can persuade him to accept a significant drop in earnings.

That would leave Ashley with the choice of cashing in on Owen this summer and getting him off the wage bill or simply letting him run down his contract at a cost of another £5m.

Either way, Keegan's growing frustrations will only be added to.

Not exactly the sort of reports to get the pulses racing. Some wages may be overinflated, but the idea of starting the season having got shot of Owen and Martins and not properly replaced them is not a pretty prospect. Yes, they are overpaid- but the alternative is worse surely?

Like I said in another thread. I do think this move makes sense and it for the best long term. However, the short term effect could be a bitch.

Like I said in another thread. I do think this move makes sense and it for the best long term. However, the short term effect could be a bitch.

Agree 100%, the gravy train has hopefully been derailed

I hope this is true

Be careful what you wish for.

Long term this will likely be for the best (FFS's "name your wage" negotiations were getting silly and dangerous), but short term it may well throw up a lot of issues (and means we'll likely lose a fair few players - many that are well worth losing admittedly, but some that are not too), Keegan's contract may run out before Newcastle sees any on field benefit from it, and we could even see Keegan go if it is the case and he's feeling straight-jacketed.

Plus Everton is a nice club to try and emulate, but I don't think they'll be breaking into the Top 4 in any sustained way any time soon.

I think (well, hope) this is a tactical leak more about lowering the expectations of arriving players than pissing off existing players, who'll get what they have to (if they're first teamers).

To be honest unless Laura isn't as smart as he'd like to think or it's just another attempt by the fucking chip wrappers to get a rise (my guess), there is fuck all the club can do about those that have contracts to run.

Owen and Viduka have another 12 months on their current wages; Smith, Barton, Geremi, Martins, etc have even longer and regardless of what the papers claim Ashley wants, if they don't want to transfer or renegotiate their current contracts they don't have to.

Serving out their remaining contract years playing in the stiffs or on the treatment table for 50k+ a week won't hurt anyone but the club.

To be honest unless Laura isn't as smart as he'd like to think or it's just another attempt by the fucking chip wrappers to get a rise (my guess), there is fuck all the club can do about those that have contracts to run.

Owen and Viduka have another 12 months on their current wages; Smith, Barton, Geremi, Martins, etc have even longer and regardless of what the papers claim Ashley wants, if they don't want to transfer or renegotiate their current contracts they don't have to.

Serving out their remaining contract years playing in the stiffs or on the treatment table for 50k+ a week won't hurt anyone but the club.

I have been told this morning that Manure have expressed an interest in Owen and Newcastle are giving the offer consideration.

I have been told this morning that Manure have expressed an interest in Owen and Newcastle are giving the offer consideration.

Danny whether you realise it or not your sentence has more creditability than the tabloids telling us all that Laura is going renegotiate all our top earners on less wages.

We've all know Owen was here for a good time not a long time.

Danny whether you realise it or not your sentence has more creditability than the tabloids telling us all that Laura is going renegotiate all our top earners on less wages.

I don't see why ManUre would go in for Owen, there is still question marks over his fitness, he doesn't offer them anything that Rooney or Tevez doesn't already do, I just don't see it happening.

I don't see why ManUre would go in for Owen, there is still question marks over his fitness, he doesn't offer them anything that Rooney or Tevez doesn't already do, I just don't see it happening.

Jimbo, you'd have to admit Owen is more likely to nick a goal than either Rooney or Tevez.

Either way I wish England had of qualified for the Euro that way the constant shit and muck raking would be aimed at Ingerland and we wouldn't have to continually read this bollocks (well at least for another week until they would have been knocked out.)

I should hope it does have more credibility. I have no agenda, I am just passing on what I was told in good faith.

I should hope it does have more credibility. I have no agenda, I am just passing on what I was told in good faith.

History tells us there is a chance you are on the wind up, either way see my response to Jimbo.

ive been told oba's asked for a better deal aswell , which will be refused and he will be sold . also been told owen's not gonna entertain the idea of a paycut .

lads who said this gave me the allerdyce news well before it was out there .

ive been told oba's asked for a better deal aswell , which will be refused and he will be sold . also been told owen's not gonna entertain the idea of a paycut .

Can't see Owen being happy with the idea myself. And, he could probably pick up a very good wage when you factor in signing on fees etc should he leave on a Bosman in a year. The noises about Martins being available have been going on for a while now too. It could all be bollocks like.

Someone will pick up Owen's wage on a free transfer, only way we'll get him to renew is I guess with bonuses that effectively make up the wage.

Martins not so sure, it depends on what he is exactly on I guess.

But you're going to lose people you want to keep when trying to bring in a wage structure, it's bound to happen.

it does seem to me fairly plausible that people like barton and owen, smith and martins do need to have a performance related pay. how that could happen i don't know, but i do know that none of the players we employ really earn their wages....