Money lands role as United youth supremo

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE United have appointed former Walsall manager Richard Money to the newly-created post of Academy director – and handed him a key role in owner Mike Ashley’s blueprint for securing the future of the club.

The highly-regarded Money was appointed over the weekend and The Journal has been informed that his remit includes overseeing every one of United’s youth teams from under-nine level through to the reserve side, which has been earmarked to become a testing ground for the club’s emerging young professionals in future seasons.

With United owner Ashley targeting youth development as a key part of ensuring the club’s long-term health, bringing in Money with such wide-ranging responsibilities can be viewed as a significant appointment.

Money will lead a large staff at St James’s Park including former Leeds United midfielder Alan Thompson, who has been appointed to coach the club’s under-15s and under-16s from next season.

As yet, there is no word from the club about how Money’s appointment will affect the position of United’s current Academy manager Joe Joyce. For his part, Money is relishing the chance to shape United’s youth development programme.

“It is a wonderful job and I’m relishing the chance to get started,” said Money. “This was too big a club to turn down. I have enjoyed being a manager for the last four years but this job at Newcastle is too big a challenge and too big an opportunity to turn down.

“I have enjoyed my break (since leaving Walsall) – it was a very tough two years with a lot of hard work to do. And while I enjoyed being a manager this is at a different level and it is something I am relishing. I am really looking forward to it.”

The club have begun to invest heavily in player acquisitions at youth level – with Ashley sanctioning an outlay of £250,000 to bring in Plymouth’s 15-year-old forward Aaron Spear. If Spear signs he will join Swindon prospect Ben Tozer, 18; Hungarian youth international Tamas Kadar, 18; French striker Wesley Ngo Baheng, 18; Italian forward Fabio Zamblera, 18; and 17-year-old Swedish goalkeeper Ole Soderberg – all signed since the turn of the year. Money, who holds the Uefa Academy director’s licence, has been out of work since resigning from the manager’s position at League One Walsall at the end of April. Although his name may not be familiar to many Newcastle supporters the 52-year-old performed admirably on a tight budget at the Bescot Stadium. But it is his work with young players that has secured him the role at St James’s Park. He was head of youth at Aston Villa and Coventry City before he moved to Sweden and Australia to pursue a career in management, and has extensive contacts in academy football.

Meanwhile, Kevin Keegan will be looking for a swift resolution to the Shola Ameobi transfer saga this week. West Brom have made enquiries about the 26-year-old forward, and reports over the weekend claimed the Hawthorns would be Ameobi’s preferred destination.

The Journal understands the club are still awaiting a firm bid for the player, who would command a fee in the region of £3m, but with Ameobi now back from his honeymoon there is expected to be progress this week.

While Ameobi is set for the exit door, goalkeeper Shay Given has insisted he will not be departing Newcastle this summer.

He was linked with a move to Arsenal a fortnight ago but has dismissed those reports.

“I have no reason to leave,” he said. “I have three years left on my contract and I am very settled in the North East. “

Guest Stevie

How many times in his life do you think he's heard someone say "Money goes to money ho ho ho ho"?

The youth set up is definitely taking shape at the moment, shame no one had the foresight to channel as much energy in to it in the past.

Money actually managed Newcastle here and he wasn't that impressive tbh.

Including his insistance upon signing and playing his son.

Hmmm. Reminds me of someone....

Kenny-Dalglish_100590.jpg

Iirc it was Gullit who gave Paul Dalglish his chance. Kenny signed him though.