Mystic Meg's crystal ball

ohhh_yeah

Season shape-up

We look at how sides are gearing up for the new campaign

Predicting the fortunes, activities and actions of Kevin Keegan would likely send Mystic Meg's crystal ball a little cloudy. However, Peter Fraser takes up the task as pre-season begins with changes expected at Newcastle.

What's happened so far

With critics pointing to the need for no-nonsense defenders and workmanlike performers at St James' Park, Keegan recently demonstrated he has lost none of his flair for unexpected entertainment as he completed his first pre-season signing with the capture of explosive winger Jonas Gutierrez.

The lively Argentina international, nicknamed Spiderman on account of his eye-catching goal celebrations, arrives on Tyneside from Real Mallorca on a five-year contract and comes straight out of the David Ginola mould to ensure that, if he fulfils his potential, he is bound to be a hit.

With Keegan returning for his second spell in charge of Newcastle as he replaced former boss Sam Allardyce in January, he was expected to bide his time throughout the New Year transfer window before quickly splashing the cash at the end of the 2007/08 campaign to stamp his mark on his inherited squad.

However, Keegan's only other movements have been towards trimming his less-than-watertight rearguard with David Rozehnal departing for Lazio in a £2.9million move, while fellow defender Peter Ramage left for Queens Park Rangers before the end of last season and attacking full-back Stephen Carr and young Australian winger James Troisi were released.

The above shows Keegan's delivery of a short back and sides to his squad began early, but there has been little in the way of re-growth to leave Newcastle supporters scratching their collective heads.

There will have been few tears shed as Rozehnal headed for Italy, but the Magpies faithful are eager for replacements as the name of West Ham stopper Anton Ferdinand is discussed, while Pascal Chimbonda and Reading's Nicky Shorey could offer reinforcements at full-back.

Elsewhere, there have been rumours that Joey Barton could be sacked for his off-field misdemeanours and Newcastle are keen for talks with the imprisoned midfielder. However Keegan has stood by the one-time England cap and the 25-year-old could be offered the pre-season opportunity to run off his porridge, if he is released early.

What they need

The necessity for solid defenders is more than evident after leaking 65 Premier League goals last season and Keegan will be buoyed by the positive end to contract discussions with star centre-back Steven Taylor, but Newcastle also need assurances at the opposite end of the field.

Michael Owen, who had an uneasy relationship with Keegan at international level, is holding talks with Newcastle over new terms but, with one year remaining on his current deal, for as long as the England striker fails to put pen-to-paper, speculation will mount about his future.

And with Arsenal reportedly sniffing around Obafemi Martins, and Shola Ameobi expected to move on, a new striker is likely to be high on Keegan's wish-list as doubts about the season-long fitness of Mark Viduka continue.

In midfield, James Milner is thought to be a target of Liverpool, while Republic of Ireland winger Damien Duff is set to leave, but in Gutierrez Newcastle already have a perfect replacement for either player.

Therefore, the age of Nicky Butt combined with queries about Barton's future and Alan Smith's discomfort in a deeper role, make a holding central midfielder a priority to play alongside the improving Geremi.

Birmingham midfielder Sebastian Larsson has been offered as a possible target, while Real Madrid's Julio Baptista has also been mentioned, but neither possesses the defensive qualities Newcastle appear to require.

What they'll get

At previous clubs Keegan has tended to reassure himself with tried and tested players from his past but, with a moustachioed Phillipe Albert unlikely to be tempted out of retirement and Richard Dunne committed to a new deal at Manchester City, Rangers star Carlos Cuellar would be an option.

Russian full-back Yuri Zhirkov is thought to have caught the eye at Euro 2008, but CSKA Moscow's £10million asking price could prove a little steep and Croatian Danijel Pranjic, Shorey or Chimbonda would be a more frugal choice.

Tottenham winger Aaron Lennon has struggled for first-team opportunities at White Hart Lane and is another likely arrival following the scouting work of southern-based executive director Dennis Wise, while Udinese's Switzerland international Gokhan Inler and Rosenborg playmaker Per Ciljan Skjelbred could provide midfield stability and creativity.

In attack, there has been furious back-pedalling following Euro 2008 flops from Germany striker Mario Gomez and France forward Bafetimbi Gomis, while Barcelona's Eidur Gudjohnsen has been cited in passing.

However, the likely arrival is 20-year-old Basel forward Eren Derdiyok, who represented Switzerland at this summer's European Championship, and the lofty frontman could prove a perfect foil for either Owen or Martins.

Fan's view - Tom Robinson

I think If Newcastle can sign Pablo Aimar, Carlos Cuellar and get a two-footed full-back to cover for Beye and Enrique then we could be in business. We also need a good defensive midfielder as Nicky Butt isn't going to keep going forever.

I'd also like to see Keegan sign a decent striker to cover for the Three Musketeers up front (Owen, Martins and Viduka) then we'll have an alright chance of getting top 6 next season, most likely top 8.

The season after that we can go even higher, possibly even challenge for that champions league place that we used to occupy.

nae offence to tom robinson but we're pretty fucking far off from getting back into the champions league.

A millions miles away and we get called deluded :D

nae offence to tom robinson but we're pretty fucking far off from getting back into the champions league.

You've just agreed with what he said then called us deluded, k meight!!!111zzz

A millions miles away and we get called deluded :o

You've just agreed with what he said then called us deluded, k meight!!!111zzz

Not him the original article you plank :D

Because one person's opinion is representative of our entire fanbase of course. :o

Edited by ewerk

Liverpool have been the weak link in the top 4 for 2/3 seasons, but I think that window has closed now.

Next season should be about become more consistent and letting in less goals - my target would be top 7, but higher if we actually spend some decent wedge over the next few weeks.

Liverpool have been the weak link in the top 4 for 2/3 seasons, but I think that window has closed now.

Next season should be about become more consistent and letting in less goals - my target would be top 7, but higher if we actually spend some decent wedge over the next few weeks.

Scoring goals to me has been a major problem for quite a few seasons now, really up until we changed formation at the end of last season.

Scoring goals to me has been a major problem for quite a few seasons now, really up until we changed formation at the end of last season.

Yeah that too, but I have a feeling the continued influence of KK will continue to remedy that - he tends to instill a good first instinct in players. Seems like a little thing, but under KK the first touch of players (moving forward) has been better and with more purpose.

Because one person's opinion is representative of our entire fanbase of course. :o

Well, at least they have one person rather than basing their bollocks on the square root of fuck all like they usually do.

Top 10 is doable with the right signings but anything more would require more than a few hiccups from the teams that usually occupy the 5th-9th positions (Everton, Pompy, Villa etc.)

Top 10 is doable with the right signings but anything more would require more than a few hiccups from the teams that usually occupy the 5th-9th positions (Everton, Pompy, Villa etc.)

For me top 10 is the bear minimum.

I'll be calling for Ashley's head if we finish out the top 10.

Edited by Park Life

For me top 10 is the bear minimum.

I'll be calling for Ashley's head if we finish out the top 10.

I think you'll give the top 6 a run ... expectation isn't too high and you have some good players. If you start well and gather some momentum it could be a surprising season.

Nah, top 6 is out of our grasp this season. I'd be delighted with it, of course, but I reckon we aim for top 6, hope for 7th or 8th, and expect at least 10th.