Newcastle and the university

TheInspiration

Hi. In a few weeks I will be starting at Newcastle University. I was wondering if it's possible any of you could give me some information and your own personal views about the place. I hear the nightlife is very good from many sources. What about the music venues and sport in the local area, especially cricket and other outdoor activities like watersports? How accessible is the nearby countryside also and is it a nice place to visit to get away from the big city?

Also, are/did any of you at/go to Newcastle University? I'm staying at Castle Leazes in Spital Tongues I believe. Any of you able to recommend it and also I assume it's rather convenient as well being near the university and city centre?

Thank you very much for your time.

Hold on I think I have a dossier somewhere....

the golfs canny I see B)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for the replies everyone.

Re: nightlife, itdepends on what you fancy and enjoy I suppose.

give us an idea of your preferred bars/clubs etc. and I'm sure the combined wit and wisdom on here can point you in the right direction.

Don't worry, I've been doing some reading and I'm sure I'll like quite a range as I'm told it's very good with a wide variety. That said I'm from a town where the nightlife is just the opposite.

I dropped out of Newcastle after three months there.

I was in Freeman Bayle's in Castle Leazes. A good laff at time. Just not really my thing killing my liver and blowing my student loan.

I'm in Freeman's Bayle as well - 004 is my room so ground floor I assume. Got it all sorted now so only a few weeks until the long hike up to Newcastle on the 21st September.

I was in Freeman Bayle's in Castle Leazes. A good laff at time. Just not really my thing killing my liver and blowing my student loan.

I'm in Freeman's Bayle as well - 004 is my room so ground floor I assume. Got it all sorted now so only a few weeks until the long hike up to Newcastle on the 21st September.

004?

Mine was 823 I think. On the top floor.

You're going to have some sleepless nights because everyone will be walking past your door on the way back so I recommend getting some good ear plugs.

also.

the walls are so thin that you can hear everyone fucking at night. so unless you enjoy that, like I do (with a belt around my throat - asphyxsi ftw), then ear plugs are really a must.

Edited by SloopJohn

004?

You're going to have some sleepless nights because everyone will be walking past your door on the way back so I recommend getting some good ear plugs.

also.

the walls are so thin that you can hear everyone fucking at night. so unless you enjoy that, like I do (with a belt around my throat - asphyxsi ftw), then ear plugs are really a must.

fucking hell you're a right miserly bastard. Cheers up mate, a smile won't crack your face.

004?

also.

Ahh, turns out I'm in Freeman but in Clayton instead, not Bayle. You're right I think I'll need earplugs as I can get put off easily when trying to sleep.

... Students have changed.

There's not many who appeared to be able to afford your lavish lifestyle you know Fish... :D

All sounds about right to me... :angry:

I'm talking about these two boring bastards moaning that they'll be kept up. University is all about the nightlife and who you meet, not early nights and well presented essays.

Definitely the first year.. aye.

Second year you have to think a bit and the final year?? Fucking hell, where was the student union again? :D

Well I may need some sleep from time to time in fairness...

that's what lectures are for. Massive rooms where you can sit at the back, turn your dictaphone on, make a new friend as you fall asleep on her shoulder. Just buuy one of those nose-widening strip things to stop you snoring and you'll be fine!

Well I may need some sleep from time to time in fairness...

that's what lectures are for. Massive rooms where you can sit at the back, turn your dictaphone on, make a new friend as you fall asleep on her shoulder. Just buuy one of those nose-widening strip things to stop you snoring and you'll be fine!

It'd take more than a breath-easy strip to stop you snoring lard loafer... :huh:

My brother is off to Newcastle University in September too. A few months ago I'd definitely had my fill of university, but after working for just over 2 weeks I'm really, really jealous!

I'd love to go back like. At that age, obviously, but with the wealth of knowledge I've acquired in the meantime. I'd probably be a right git though.

My brother is off to Newcastle University in September too. A few months ago I'd definitely had my fill of university, but after working for just over 2 weeks I'm really, really jealous!

I'd love to go back like. At that age, obviously, but with the wealth of knowledge I've acquired in the meantime. I'd probably be a right git though.

To be honest, university is full of morons and I was ready to leave. I just want to be able to bum around and do nothing again. Even though I pretty much did that from finishing exams in April til starting work the other week! Overheard a student nurse today say that she wasn't coming in tomorow because she wouldn't feel up to it after doing a late shift. Lucky bitch.

To be honest, university is full of morons and I was ready to leave. I just want to be able to bum around and do nothing again. Even though I pretty much did that from finishing exams in April til starting work the other week! Overheard a student nurse today say that she wasn't coming in tomorow because she wouldn't feel up to it after doing a late shift. Lucky bitch.

Yeah, the doing nothing was great. I miss freelancing for similar reasons. Quite enjoyed uni after the first term of first year, once the aforementioned highly visible morons ran short on drink money and calmed down a bit and the decent people started to emerge from the background. Actually if I'm being honest, I'd primarily go back and be far more of a slag. It took me far too long to realise that morals don't really exist in student world. :huh: But I miss the overnighters in the PC labs too, to my utter shame.

I'm talking about these two boring bastards moaning that they'll be kept up. University is all about the nightlife and who you meet, not early nights and well presented essays.

Aye because coming out of Uni and selling double glazing windows is soooo much fun..... :huh: