The Keegameeting

@yourservice

The Newcastle United manager Kevin Keegan and owner Mike Ashley will face a defining moment in their respective reigns when they meet today. Keegan and the man who appointed him will get together, along with executive director of football Dennis Wise, to discuss their efforts to take the club forward.

Of paramount importance to Keegan will be two issues: a progress report on the efforts of Wise and his recruitment team to provide him with the three or four players he feels he still needs, and news of the club's attempts to tie up star striker Michael Owen's new contract.

Time is not on Newcastle's side on the transfer front, with less than a week to go before the summer window closes. There has been talk all summer that Ashley will not sanction wholesale spending, and it is perhaps significant that the fees they have handed over for their three captures to date – Jonas Gutierrez, Fabricio Coloccini and Danny Guthrie – remain undisclosed.

There has also been intense speculation over a series of targets, some more realistic than others. Keegan has already had his disappointments. He was beaten to Luka Modric's signature by Tottenham at the end of last season, and he also got a negative response from Anton Ferdinand earlier in the summer. The West Ham defender's presence at Sunderland for a medical today will not have improved his mood.

But as Wise and vice-president for player recruitment Tony Jimenez go about their business, the names keep coming – Rennes midfielder Stephane Mbia and Udinese's Gokhan Inler were linked to the Magpies today.

Keegan confirmed after Saturday's 1-0 victory over Bolton that he was still looking for at least a defender, a midfielder and a striker. That list could increase should the club decide to cash in on any of their current players. Aston Villa's pursuit of James Milner has been relentless, while Everton have been monitoring Alan Smith's situation.

The owner will have other concerns too. He was among a crowd of 47,711 for the Bolton game and will have been acutely aware of the 5,000 or so empty seats and vacant executive boxes. Keegan suggested the time of year and the current credit crunch might have taken their toll, but rising season-ticket prices, promises of greater financial control and a lack of high-profile signings may be a more accurate explanation.

(The Independent)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They seem to be trying to make something about the fees of out three (good) signings. Desperate. :)

While also forgetting that we have infact signed four players (Bassong).

Just what i was thinking

They seem to be trying to make something about the fees of out three (good) signings. Desperate. :P

we signed some "for the future" and supposed squad filler players though

coloccini and Jonas were 1st starting signings, bassong and gutherie were never supposed to be don't think can really rate them as big deals in the signings market

are squad was small, we let a fair few leave/sold them (more than we brought in)

so our small squad is smaller than it was, thought this would be the case but wish i had of been proved wrong

<1week to go till window closes it's not looking good for bringing in anyone of worth :/

Don't forget the promised WOW signing!!! :)

The owner will have other concerns too. He was among a crowd of 47,711 for the Bolton game and will have been acutely aware of the 5,000 or so empty seats and vacant executive boxes. Keegan suggested the time of year and the current credit crunch might have taken their toll, but rising season-ticket prices, promises of greater financial control and a lack of high-profile signings may be a more accurate explanation.

the farce with the season tickets maybe hindered that number as well..

The 10% hike in a lot of prices will be the main reason.

They seem to be trying to make something about the fees of out three (good) signings. Desperate. :)

we signed some "for the future" and supposed squad filler players though

coloccini and Jonas were 1st starting signings, bassong and gutherie were never supposed to be don't think can really rate them as big deals in the signings market

undisclosed or not i think it's safe to assume gutheries and bassongs deals were small in money terms

coloccini's was expensive

god knows what way Jonas's deal will cost with the hassle behind it

are squad was small, we let a fair few leave/sold them (more than we brought in)

so our small squad is smaller than it was, thought this would be the case but wish i had of been proved wrong

<1week to go till window closes it's not looking good for bringing in anyone of worth :/

Fucking hell Woody has been one of our better players right from the off this preseason, starting almost every game and you don't think he was bought as a "1st starting signings" whatever the fuck that is???

ant you really need to get back on your medication because you don't know a decent player from your left testical.

is he a replacement for the calibre of player that Emre is "supposed" to be... no he's not

So far he's been a far better player than Emre ever was for us.

Indeed but emre is supposed to be a massively rated international star and no doubt will do alright back in turkey etc, was just injured or crap for us

ya can't fill your team with players like Gutherie and think "well he's doing good so we'll do well!"

ya need the bigger experienced stars in the mix as well, which we don't seem to be getting

You recruit better players than you have, we've done that. 'Bigger experienced stars'? I bet you loved Shepherd.

You recruit better players than you have, we've done that. 'Bigger experienced stars'? I bet you loved Shepherd.

Not really....what a stupid comment,

I'm not happy with having "average" players your right and currently that's what the youngsters are, they will develop but currently they are not players who should be starting in the first 11 for a club like ours.

so your pleased that Guthrie etc could be a starting midfielder for us, while the likes of spurs are signing modric and Bentley, etcetc

Can't say i can be happy when those are the sort of signings were making for our first team...

The age, experience, transfer fee have got nothing to do with it. The simple fact is that if you're good enough then you're in the team and so far none of our new signings have let us down. I'd say that not too many of us were familiar or had even heard of Gutierrez yet he has been our best performer so far. I'm very happy with the players we've brought in so far, the only problem is that there haven't been enough of them.

The age, experience, transfer fee have got nothing to do with it. The simple fact is that if you're good enough then you're in the team and so far none of our new signings have let us down. I'd say that not too many of us were familiar or had even heard of Gutierrez yet he has been our best performer so far. I'm very happy with the players we've brought in so far, the only problem is that there haven't been enough of them.

He isn't good enough for me, he's good enough to get into our injury riddled aged god awful central midfield

he isn't good enough to get on for a vast majority of other clubs central mid

hes done alright, he works hard, he's not the standard who should be starting for us yet imo.

Guthrie? Rubbish, he's done well so far and fully deserves his place in the team. Had a very good game against the league champions but clearly you're judging him on his name alone.

Guthrie? Rubbish, he's done well so far and fully deserves his place in the team. Had a very good game against the league champions but clearly you're judging him on his name alone.

yeah your right he had a great game against man utd's exceptionally weak midfield that had most of their starting midfielders missing

we'll see how well he does in the next leg if he's up against there full strength side

he's done well and deserve's his place in the team i agreed with you

but thats only because our centre midfield options are so piss poor its beyond funny

which for a club our size and with our supposed backing shouldn't be so...

You can only play the team you're up against. Have you seen anything from him in a black and white shirt to show that he isn't ready for the first team?

You can only play the team you're up against. Have you seen anything from him in a black and white shirt to show that he isn't ready for the first team?

yes, he's not good enough, it's that simple

he's worked hard, and he's done alright, he's the best of the limited options we have

but we should've signed better that he can be cover for its that simple

Done alright? He hasn't put a foot wrong, you're talking bollocks. Maybe another Duff, Boumsong or Luque would satisfy you.

yes, he's not good enough, it's that simple

he's worked hard, and he's done alright, he's the best of the limited options we have

but we should've signed better that he can be cover for its that simple

Done alright? He hasn't put a foot wrong, you're talking bollocks. Maybe another Duff, Boumsong or Luque would satisfy you.

you wanna go find the threads that i said we should never have signed duff and when he got that last injury at chelsea he lost what made him a bit special?

or you wanna talk more shite.

if your happy with an inexperienced average youngster who works hard starting in our midfield fair enough

just don't come back on the forums gurning your eyes out about lack of quality and experience in our squad and why we don't have someone better pulling the strings in the centre of the park.

because according you Guthrie is ample, a starting centre midfielder for a top half premiership club with a billionaire owner.

Ready to underachieve or win nothing again this season? i hope so

Tbh you're the one that does most of the gurning round here. Guthrie has surprised us all and done very well for us, it may just be a purple patch or he may be the real deal. Either way I don't think he's one of our biggest worries when it comes to replacing players.

I think the lads done good considering the options we have... butt and barton are in theory our first choicers in the middle of the park based on reputation. this hlad has been a good link man and keeps it nice and simple. for £1.5mil he's been a good buy! so far.

To be fair Guthrie was ace yesterday and looks like given a couple of seasons he could become a cracking CM for us in the vein of Barry or Gerarrd

Guthrie for England!! :P

Anyway, still no word of this Keegameeting then?? :) Must be well into the second packet of chocolate HobNobs by now.

To be fair Guthrie was ace yesterday and looks like given a couple of seasons he could become a cracking CM for us in the vein of Barry or Gerarrd

Guthrie for England!! :nufc:

Anyway, still no word of this Keegameeting then?? :) Must be well into the second packet of chocolate HobNobs by now.

Wise has had a major attack of little blerk syndrome after Keegan made a comment about how Poyet was the brains behind his time at Leeds. He's took them all hostage in the conference suite of the Malmaison and he's threatening to "facking shiv" anyone who tries to leave. Llambias tried to make a dash for it but Vetere and Jiminez caught and bumraped him.

Maybe :P