Investors flock to Shepherd

bawan

Former Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd has told Sky Sports News he has already been approached by two consortiums interested in taking over at St James' Park.

Mike Ashley's decision to put the club up for sale, amid vociferous criticism from the club's supporters over the departure of Kevin Keegan, has already alerted a number of consortiums weighing up a takeover.

Sports Direct owner Ashley bought a 93 per cent share of the club for £134.4million in May 2007 but his regime has been beset by problems.

Shepherd claims two separate 'big-money players' have approached him; although he will not be lending his name to their possible bids.

Two consortiums

"There are people who would buy that club, there is no doubt about that," he told Sky Sports News.

"I've been approached by two consortiums to add my name to it. I didn't fancy adding my name to the consortiums that were offered to me, but there are always people who would buy that club."

When quizzed on whether he would ever consider returning to his boyhood club Shepherd remained coy, although he did state he was firmly in favour of reinstating Keegan as manager.

He said: "One thing I've learnt is never say never.

"I'd take a bet we haven't heard the last of Kevin Keegan. I would definitely bring Kevin back, he's the right man for the job.

"It's entirely up to Mike Ashley. When I worked with Kevin he used to identify the players and put a value on them and we used to try and get the money to buy the players. We didn't try to get involved in judging the player - it was left to Kevin."

Failed set-up

Shepherd believes the infrastructure at Newcastle, set up by Ashley to have Dennis Wise oversee all of the club's transfers, has not worked out and needs dramatically modifying.

He continued: "Nobody wants to see what's happened but I think the way the club has been structured has not worked for Newcastle.

"It's a fantastic club, it's got everything there, a great training ground, as everybody said it's got great fans and the team must be wondering what's going on - it's certainly affecting them.

"I think the position needs to be calmed, it needs to be stabilised. There is far too much emotion running around."

Stinging rebuke

Ashley's criticism of the financial situation he inherited upon buying the club did not sit well with Shepherd either.

"To get back to what he paid for the club, he got us for the right price. He couldn't even build half the stadium for what he paid for that club. He got a great deal," Shepherd concluded.

"As far as the money is concerned I think he should take the advice he gave to Sports Direct shareholders: 'Don't be cry babies'.

"He seems to be whinging now about the money, well if I was a Sports Direct shareholder I'd be whinging about the money as well. He should take his own advice. The debt he had to pay was if you like, the mortgage on the ground."

Notice FS putting weight behind KK? FS loves the club of that I have no doubt. He also loves the way it lines his pockets year in year out. But, while he was ousted from the club through SJH and wasnt really willing, I reckon he would jump at the chance to come back and what a better way to make himself look the hero than to drag KK back with him.

Leazes would cream himself.

Shepherd would (literally) be a backwards step.

haha.........you might be surprised.

Any chairman who is prepared to punch the clubs weight and understands that the strength of a club is in the dressing room will do for me.

Basic stuff. What a shame Ashley didn't realise that ..... or maybe he does but doesn't give a shit ?

As I said when the fat bastard :ph34r: was here, be careful what you wish for. Those european qualifications etc weren't so bad like were they ?

I think the club might need a complete change - again, and you could include Keegan in that if you like, as much as I would love the bloke to come back and make every fucker eat their words.

But we should be fearful of this season. The consequences of the last 2 weeks could well end up being similar to that of 1976 and 1977, which I've posted in another thread. So much for soopa Mike and "anyone but Fred".

We need a new owner and/or a new direction, fast.

Edit.

I'd be happy if Ashley woke up tomorrow, realised where he has gone wrong, and corrected it all, but I don't expect it to happen.

Edited by LeazesMag