Owen left out by Capello again

Jimbo

England squad: James (Portsmouth), Green (West Ham), Carson (West Brom); Brown (Manchester United), Johnson (Portsmouth), Terry (Chelsea), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Lescott (Everton), Upson (West Ham), A Cole (Chelsea), Bridge (Chelsea); Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Walcott (Arsenal), Barry (Aston Villa), Jenas (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Downing (Middlesbrough), Wright-Phillips (Manchester City); Heskey (Wigan), Crouch (Portsmouth), Rooney (Manchester United), Defoe (Portsmouth).

I have the same opinion Jimbo. Good. I obviously don't care about the England team, however if it means that Owen is going to have to concentrate on fitness and form for the club then NUFC can only benefit. Too often he's done fuck all for the club and gotten hurt playing for England.

He's daft to be leaving him out if you ask me but we can't afford for him to get injured so I'm not too fussed.

Defoe and Crouch are becoming a decent partnership for Pompey and Rooney is Rooney. Owen doesn't deserve to be ahead of any of them. He's better than Heskey sure, but he's too similar a player to Defoe.

I'm glad he's not picked for fitness point of view for us, but on the flipside, him not getting selected for his beloved England probably doesn't help our chances of retaining his services next season.

He's daft to be leaving him out if you ask me but we can't afford for him to get injured so I'm not too fussed.

Defoe and Crouch are becoming a decent partnership for Pompey and Rooney is Rooney. Owen doesn't deserve to be ahead of any of them. He's better than Heskey sure, but he's too similar a player to Defoe.

Owen and Crouch will be better than Crouch and Defoe, even if they played together every day at pompey. Defoe will never be the player Owen is

As someone else has pointed out, Defoe is nowhere near the player Owen is.

downside is that he might think - or realise - that if he wants to get back into it, he's got to move on.

Far better for him to be a supersub for England I reckon

downside is that he might think - or realise - that if he wants to get back into it, he's got to move on.

He's away anyway, I reckon. I've always worried about that when he hasn't been getting picked in the past, but I think any chances we have of keeping him have gone so we can just be selfish now and not be worried about the effect it'll have on his decision whether to stay or not.

Er..... riiiight.

Given the players who are in there, it's incredible that Owen is being overlooked.

Did he work under Capello at Real or not?

I think so, wasn't he not picked there under him?

Either way I'd say he just doesn't rate him (quite bizarrely). Then again I don't especially rate Capello (for England anyway - he'll probably win the WC now though :( ), that one pretty lucky game aside.

Capello says it is performance over 90 minutes not scoring goals that count

So he wouldn't have picked Gert "Bomber" Muller or Old Big 'ead or Greavsie or Lineker I guess

The point of a goal scorer is that he scores goals - that's all he's there to do - not track back

Edited by Rob W

Given the players who are in there, it's incredible that Owen is being overlooked.

Did he work under Capello at Real or not?

I think so, wasn't he not picked there under him?

Either way I'd say he just doesn't rate him (quite bizarrely). Then again I don't especially rate Capello (for England anyway - he'll probably win the WC now though :( ), that one pretty lucky game aside.

Capello was at Juve when Owen was at Madrid (he won the league which was subsequently taken off them). I can't remember who the manager was who kept leaving Owen out (knowing Madrid it was probably more than one).

Capello says it is performance over 90 minutes not scoring goals that count

So he wouldn't have picked Gert "Bomber" Muller or Old Big 'ead or Greavsie or Lineker I guess

The point of a goal scorer is that he scores goals - that's all he's there to do - not track back

The 3 strikers you mention are, to varying degrees, class. But they're a dying breed in the modern game. I think that's a sad thing but it's a reality that you don't get the 'poachers' like that any more.

I think I read somewhere that Owen had 3 different managers in his 12 months at Madrid...

Was Carlos Queerboy managing them at this time?

Either way, he's obviously not rated by Capello which, of all the people connected to NUFC, only Owen himself is really going to be bothered by.

Perhaps the press can now shut the fuck up about him being EMO and now start calling him Newcastle's Michael Owen?

I think I read somewhere that Owen had 3 different managers in his 12 months at Madrid...

Was Carlos Queerboy managing them at this time?

Either way, he's obviously not rated by Capello which, of all the people connected to NUFC, only Owen himself is really going to be bothered by.

Perhaps the press can now shut the fuck up about him being EMO and now start calling him Newcastle's Michael Owen?

Until January anyway :(

It's going to be a telling month IMO. If this who sorry Mike Ashley episode can be put behind us, I think he'll stay...

If we've not managed to find new owners, I reckon he'll be off - and I wouldn't put it past Chelsea coming in for him.

It's going to be a telling month IMO. If this who sorry Mike Ashley episode can be put behind us, I think he'll stay...

If we've not managed to find new owners, I reckon he'll be off - and I wouldn't put it past Chelsea coming in for him.

I think he's gone, Keegan and some investment and I think we could have kept him, but unless someone with Gazillions buys us then this England thing is only going to worsen our chances of keeping him.

he's clearly not going to get back into Capello's squad without basically arse-rapping his way in, leaving Capello with no other choice, and the only way he'll do that is in a decent, quality and functional team.