Owen to delay decision until summer

Matty

Inevitable that he's leaving tbh, but if he is about to leave, I'm glad he's staying 'til the end of the season atleast, or else we would of truely been fucked.

Although on the other hand, if he does stay i'd be chuffed.

Edited by 1892

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He should go in January imo. He obviously has no intention of staying here (and who would blame him?) so it would be better for him and us if we just got some money for him in January and went on his way.

Depending on who is available as a replacement.

Otherwise I agree.

It's quite simple to me what the situation is.. we qualify for Europe I reckon he'll stay. Fail to do so yet again and I think we can wave goodbye to him for absolutely nothing!

For someone of his calibre to have not played a single European game for us (i think i'm right in saying that) is absolutely shocking IMO and indicative of how the club has failed miserably to provide a team around him to get the best out of him.

If he goes, it's no-one's fault bar Ashley's. Keegan was screaming out for him to be offered a new contract last summer but big Mike was more concerned about ensuring KK didn't have a say in such matters that he probably ignored him out of spite. Fucking ridiculous amount of oversight and a display of a total lack of knowledge of running a football club IMO

This offer is more than a tad 'too little, too late'....

He was in talks with us over a new contract when Keegan was here, he's even said so himself.

The only reason it stalled was because all of the Keegan sausage munchers decided to kick up a fuss and demand Ashley sell the club, he then put the club up for sale and distanced himself from us, with Jimenez leaving too over it all kicking off contract talks broke down.

Not that I think he's ever had any intention of signing anyway and he seems happy to let his contract run down here like he tried to do at Liverpool.

The reason it stalled was apparently because they'd only offer him a 12 month extension.

Why is anyone going to take a 12 month extension at 28/29 years old?

They've finally got around to offering him a 3 year deal, but with the state the club is in (and with only 6 months left) he's sensibly (for him) just going to run it down now.

Top business sense there - and all Keegan's fault clearly. :lol:

I think we all agree that the PR of the club since Ashley came has been poor. In that context they made a major break when they announced the contract offer in August. We have now found that it was being charitable not as generous as they made out. If it was opening shot in a negotiation as you imply Baggio why did the make such a big deal out of it?

Because the press were reporting that we wouldn't give him a contract and were trying to sell him?

To which we made it clear that in fact we were in negotiations with him over a new contract and didn't want to lose him, which Owen has since confirmed.

Aye as opposed to offering him a 12 month contract on lower wages AND trying to sell him. :):lol:

I can always rely on Fop to pick up on my posts.

Yup you can, I can smell idiocy a mile off. :)

Anyone know if he was posting on here before Barry George was released from prison?

That would have been a double bluff par excellence. (unlike a 12 month contract :lol: )

Yup you can, I can smell idiocy a mile off. :outahere:

There was me thinking it's because you're a strange cunt. :outahere:

Thinking and you have never got along well. :) (I blame Keegan personally :lol: )

"Following speculation about my future at Newcastle United, I have decided today to make it clear that I am committed to the club until at least the end of this season, and I have informed them I do not want to make a decision about my future until that time.

"I hope this will be seen as a positive step and not seen as being disloyal in any way.

"I am happy here and enjoy the challenge. It is simply a matter of seriously thinking about my future as I was 29 last week and my next career decision is a crucial one.

"My decision is not about money. I told the club some months ago that I would accept a reduction in my wages.

"I have no intention of leaving Newcastle United during the January transfer window and want to assure the fans that under Joe Kinnear's passionate management, I am committed with the rest of the players to ensure that the club ends the season on a high."

Hadn't seen his statement posted so I thought I would put it up.

He should go in January imo. He obviously has no intention of staying here (and who would blame him?) so it would be better for him and us if we just got some money for him in January and went on his way.

I don't usually disagree with you SLP but I totally do there. Despite now sitting in a reasonably comfortable position we are no where near clear of the threat of relegation. Weighing up the goals Owen scores against those that a player who we could buy with the money we could get for him now would score (ie very few with 2-3 million) it makes no sense at all to take that money. Relegation would certainly cost us a lot more.

I do agree that I wouldn't blame him for leaving though. In the three and a half years he's been here we have been a joke. We've had seven managers (including caretakers and interim), three chairman, two owners (and we'd have had a third if one could have been found) and never been close to the top half of the table. Add to that half of our fans have give him shit loads of stick just for answering questions about England or for not playing because of career threatening injuries. Why would we expect him to stay. None of us would if the boot was on the other foot.

I don't usually disagree with you SLP but I totally do there. Despite now sitting in a reasonably comfortable position we are no where near clear of the threat of relegation. Weighing up the goals Owen scores against those that a player who we could buy with the money we could get for him now would score (ie very few with 2-3 million) it makes no sense at all to take that money. Relegation would certainly cost us a lot more.

I do agree that I wouldn't blame him for leaving though. In the three and a half years he's been here we have been a joke. We've had seven managers (including caretakers and interim), three chairman, two owners (and we'd have had a third if one could have been found) and never been close to the top half of the table. Add to that half of our fans have give him shit loads of stick just for answering questions about England or for not playing because of career threatening injuries. Why would we expect him to stay. None of us would if the boot was on the other foot.

I'm with you DK.

Maybe he's calling their (Ashley and the rest of the board etc) bluff ? They have already issued a statement saying he wont be sold, so maybe he's just saying 'ok, I'll hang on until the summer and let's see how truthful you're being'. ??? Atter all, it appears he's be fucked around for so long and wants them to suffer a bit at the thought of losing out on a few million pounds if they don't sell him now?

Ohooo someones throwing their big fat size 9s into the ring....

The former Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd says Michael Owen "morally" must stay at the club for another year after Owen yesterday said he would not commit to St James' beyond the end of the season.

But Shepherd, who signed the striker from Real Madrid and supported him through a long spell out through a cruciate knee ligament injury, said: "He has been injured a lot of the time since I signed him and has barely played one in four games that he could have done had he been fit. He owes Newcastle another year."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/de...le-michael-owen

Ohooo someones throwing their big fat size 9s into the ring....

The former Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd says Michael Owen "morally" must stay at the club for another year after Owen yesterday said he would not commit to St James' beyond the end of the season.

But Shepherd, who signed the striker from Real Madrid and supported him through a long spell out through a cruciate knee ligament injury, said: "He has been injured a lot of the time since I signed him and has barely played one in four games that he could have done had he been fit. He owes Newcastle another year."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/de...le-michael-owen

Freudian slip by Freddy there? :lol:

Pretty true though

if you'd been getting 110k a week for 4years and playing around 1/4 of the time would ya not feel a bit shit taking the cash and running.

Morally absolutely true (although goals to games I dunno that he's our biggest waste of cash :lol: ).

But from a business sense, this is probably the last big contract of his life (and in other circumstances probably would have been the biggest) so I'd be surprised if he stays unless we somehow do come up with the best offer. Plus he pretty much did this at Liverpool.

£90'000 for four years is a brilliant contract whichever way you look at it as he is 29 years old - but as Owen said it's not about the money as he already agreed to a pay cut, for me the only issue is his ambition as a player.

He owes us fuck all imo. Owen still bangs them in for fun and while no top team would rely on him as their no 1 striker, he would make an excellent 1 of 4 for any team. Injuries are part of the game and he's been very unlucky since he came here. At one point I thought it scandalous that he might move on but now I can appreciate that his next contract could well be his last and that he needs to look after no1. I'd love him to stay, but in our current plight I think I'd understand him being off. imo he will wait to see if we get into Europe. Im just glad he wont be off in Jan (unless MA decides he wants to cash in and then we're fucked).

The only slight thing I have against him on the injury front is I got the feeling in 06 that he took him time coming back deliberately to be fresh for the world cup and I couldn't help thinking if he had had a few more games he wouldn't have fucked his knee.

I'm willing to admit that's my Newcastle is everything/England is nothing viewpoint coming through.

The only slight thing I have against him on the injury front is I got the feeling in 06 that he took him time coming back deliberately to be fresh for the world cup and I couldn't help thinking if he had had a few more games he wouldn't have fucked his knee.

I'm willing to admit that's my Newcastle is everything/England is nothing viewpoint coming through.

I think he was aiming at England then, but in fairness that injury was just bad, bad luck really. Maybe it could have been avoided if everything was right, but equally probably it was just one of those things.