The Inevitable Knee-Jerk/Headless Chicken thread

The Fish

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if you post in the "Inevitable Head in the Sand/ It'll All be Magically Alright" thread

The only kneejerk reactions IMO have been those that say that we've turned a corner based on beating a poor portsmouth team and snatching a victory at home to spurs (a banker in recent seasons)

P.s. 13 times we've lost the first goal, and 13 times we haven't miraculously won the match

If we survive, it will be either due to a brilliant transfer window (looking unlikely), undoing the last 10 years of injury crisis after crisis and everyone staying fit, or portsmouth/west ham making a mess of things due to finances/managerial incompetence. It hurts, but I would rather be Blackburn with Big Sam and a reasonable board in charge than us with JFK and Ashley (and I hated what BSA did with us)

:lol:

so the only way we'll survive is a miracle or someone else mistakes?

can't it just be that we'll be the average mid-table club that we have been for the past god knows how long?

Fucks sake, some people are right drama queens, and if you don't wail and gnash your teeth you're accused of being blind to the truth.

However when Premiership survival is assured, they're not keen to leap to the front and apologise for being such a prissy little girl.

I don't think Kinnear has a done a "great" job, I reckon he's done an average job, as represented by the average league position, the average performances and average tactical awareness.

Can't think where the media get this deluded Geordie stereotype from...

Meh I can take the defeat quite easily.

The amount of injuries that seem to have come from this game is rather depressing though.

Only thing that pisses me off was the incompetence shown for their penalty.

Anyone see Viduka's efforts today ? from what I heard he was back to his worst, no effort or commitment and walked off the pitch before play was stopped or before Caroll was ready when he was substituted to a chorus of "You're not fit to wear the shirt".

Anyone see Viduka's efforts today ? from what I heard he was back to his worst, no effort or commitment and walked off the pitch before play was stopped or before Caroll was ready when he was substituted to a chorus of "You're not fit to wear the shirt".

A dedicated athlete like him who had eaten his own body weight in turkey just 24 hours previously. I bet he couldn't wait to get out there. In Wigan. In the middle of winter. The day after Christmas. Where it was close to freezing. Could not wait.

3 points between Bolton in 10th and Stoke in 18th, a relegation spot, as it stands we're on 22, a princely 2 points above Stoke..........thats what gets me. The league is so mind numbmingly average this year. I think it could've been all different if we'd avoided the unpleasantness in September and bought KK a leftback and another midfileder.The thing is about being "average" and "mid table" this season is that its all far too close to the drop zone for comfort. Wigan move up to 8th, realistically thinking of Europe on todays evidence, a mere 5 points ahead of Stoke in the drop zone.

This season has been a huge missed oppotunity, the way most teams are playing we could've really kicked on under KK and built on our good finish to last season/good start to this one.....but we've shot ourselves in in the foot once again.

3 points between Bolton in 10th and Stoke in 18th, a relegation spot, as it stands we're on 22, a princely 2 points above Stoke..........thats what gets me. The league is so mind numbmingly average this year. I think it could've been all different if we'd avoided the unpleasantness in September and bought KK a leftback and another midfileder.The thing is about being "average" and "mid table" this season is that its all far too close to the drop zone for comfort. Wigan move up to 8th, realistically thinking of Europe on todays evidence, a mere 5 points ahead of Stoke in the drop zone.

This season has been a huge missed oppotunity, the way most teams are playing we could've really kicked on under KK and built on our good finish to last season/good start to this one.....but we've shot ourselves in in the foot once again.

All true, sadly.

I was full of hope that we could win today, but im not suprised at all that we didnt to be fair.

To Neville Neville - No offence mate but you seem like one of these bi-polar newcastle fans tbh, we win your happy and its going good, we get beat and its talk of relegation AGAIN...Change the record man!

Its only my opnion but i think we HAVE turned the corner...like tom said...

"2 defeats in ten and 3 clean sheets out of our last 4 away games"

Add to the fact we got a point at stamford bridge and the riverside and we well beat pompy on there own patch.

Im looking at the teams above us rather than the teams below, todays result had it been different would of proppelled us up the table but not alot changes apart from the fact wigan are 3 points ahead with a game in hand. The other sides in close proximity above us are all catchable.

Call it wearing black and white goggles or not but im not worried about the prospect of relegation.

We seem harder to beat and are doing considerably better than we were 2 months back.

Keep the faith man.

I think it's one of the best seasons in ages. That the likes of Stoke, Hull, Fulham and us are frequently taking points off top half teams, that the "top four" can all go 3 weeks with out a win, that a single weekend can almost completely re-arrange the table makes it one of the most interesting years the Premiership has had in ages if you ask me.

Maybe fewer teams are playing the fantastic football you want to see every week, but fewer are also consistently woeful. I don't see the teams generally being equally average as a bad thing at all.

Like everyone else he was shit but if I was him and had idiots expecting me to chase shite Butt chipped balls into the channels instead of playing to my strengths I'd be pissed off as well. He also created a good chance for Owen early in the second half.

Am definitely not bipolar...very much at the pessimistic side of things. Have not been optimistic re:newcastle since 48 hours before the transfer window closed.

I very much kept my feet on the ground post our miraculous 2 victories in the road. Stats are great and all that, but they only tell the story that the person who is using wants them to tell

I honestly don't see a corner being turned. We are better than we were when Hughton was in charge, but that isn't saying much. However we are 2 points off the relegation zone after this unbeaten patch, and I saw nothing in the team's performance that suggested they were able to build off the confidence of this good recent run. I can't remember the last time Newcastle really imposed themselves on a game... they seems to wait to see whether the opponent is going to do anything decent and then give it a go if not. The two games we have gone from the get-go were against West Brom and Stoke, at home to 2 clear relegation candidates, where we were besieged for the last 30 mins of both games, and could easily have ended up with less than the 4 points we got.

In the good performances/results against Villa, Portsmouth, and Everton we have basically given the opponents the first half to try and score against us, and when they have failed we've suddenly perked up, and played well and picked up decent points.

What worries me is that we haven't dominated a team the way that Wigan dominated us from 0-dodgy sending off of Boyce at St James, and 0-86 at the JJB. I think this is because we have very few players who are any better than solid (and some who are sub-solid). The only players who have definable characteristics and the pace of Martins, the direct running of N'Zogbia, positional sense of Owen, and occasionally something of note from Viduka or Gutierrez. If these guys aren't fit, firing on all cylinders, and being played in the right positions, then I feel we are at the whim of the opposition, and only seem to come into the game once they begin to ease off/struggle.

Factor in the amazingness that is the defensive midfielder who majestically puts pressure onto both his midfield colleagues and the defence, and the winger who has to turn back and retreat when he comes within 10 yards of the touchline or a full back before playing a (usually slightly dodgy) pass to the aforementioned defensive midfielder, and its no wonder we struggle to take games by the scruff of the neck.

I just don't know if its enough. I really really hope it is... but I just don't know

P.s while I might be a pathologically depressed Newcastle fan (with good reason), at least I'm not clinically insane enough to think we're 1-2 players away from a top 4 squad!!!! :lol:

P.p.s I'm loving the season in general, when not looking at it from a Newcastle point of view. :)

I was full of hope that we could win today, but im not suprised at all that we didnt to be fair.

To Neville Neville - No offence mate but you seem like one of these bi-polar newcastle fans tbh, we win your happy and its going good, we get beat and its talk of relegation AGAIN...Change the record man!

Its only my opinion but i think we HAVE turned the corner...like tom said...

Add to the fact we got a point at stamford bridge and the riverside and we well beat pompy on there own patch.

Im looking at the teams above us rather than the teams below, todays result had it been different would of proppelled us up the table but not alot changes apart from the fact wigan are 3 points ahead with a game in hand. The other sides in close proximity above us are all catchable.

Call it wearing black and white goggles or not but im not worried about the prospect of relegation.

We seem harder to beat and are doing considerably better than we were 2 months back.

Keep the faith man.

Am definitely not bipolar...very much at the pessimistic side of things. Have not been optimistic re:newcastle since 48 hours before the transfer window closed.

I very much kept my feet on the ground post our miraculous 2 victories in the road. Stats are great and all that, but they only tell the story that the person who is using wants them to tell

I honestly don't see a corner being turned. We are better than we were when Hughton was in charge, but that isn't saying much. However we are 2 points off the relegation zone after this unbeaten patch, and I saw nothing in the team's performance that suggested they were able to build off the confidence of this good recent run. I can't remember the last time Newcastle really imposed themselves on a game... they seems to wait to see whether the opponent is going to do anything decent and then give it a go if not. The two games we have gone from the get-go were against West Brom and Stoke, at home to 2 clear relegation candidates, where we were besieged for the last 30 mins of both games, and could easily have ended up with less than the 4 points we got.

In the good performances/results against Villa, Portsmouth, and Everton we have basically given the opponents the first half to try and score against us, and when they have failed we've suddenly perked up, and played well and picked up decent points.

What worries me is that we haven't dominated a team the way that Wigan dominated us from 0-dodgy sending off of Boyce at St James, and 0-86 at the JJB. I think this is because we have very few players who are any better than solid (and some who are sub-solid). The only players who have definable characteristics and the pace of Martins, the direct running of N'Zogbia, positional sense of Owen, and occasionally something of note from Viduka or Gutierrez. If these guys aren't fit, firing on all cylinders, and being played in the right positions, then I feel we are at the whim of the opposition, and only seem to come into the game once they begin to ease off/struggle.

Factor in the amazingness that is the defensive midfielder who majestically puts pressure onto both his midfield colleagues and the defence, and the winger who has to turn back and retreat when he comes within 10 yards of the touchline or a full back before playing a (usually slightly dodgy) pass to the aforementioned defensive midfielder, and its no wonder we struggle to take games by the scruff of the neck.

I just don't know if its enough. I really really hope it is... but I just don't know

P.s while I might be a pathologically depressed Newcastle fan (with good reason), at least I'm not clinically insane enough to think we're 1-2 players away from a top 4 squad!!!! :lol:

P.p.s I'm loving the season in general, when not looking at it from a Newcastle point of view. :)

Its only my opinion but i think we HAVE turned the corner...like tom said...

Keep the faith man.

I think i had you all wrong and for that i apologise!

I actually cant fault anything you have said mate.

I think a good side playin 443 effectively becomes 41212 with a defensive midfield closeing gaps and providing cover in defence and a creative midfielder utilising space and pulling the strings with two wide men and two finishers.

Our biggest floor of late is undoubtably Nicky Butt.....but what can we do? They guy will stay in the team becasue he is supposedly "a leader" and a "proffesional" maybe the later statements are true but he is shit!

We are twelfth, but we are only two points clear of the relegation zone. Oddly, I think being happy or despairing about our position (with regards to premiership survival) are both reasonable points of view to take at the moment, depending on your outlook. My view is that isn't looking that rosy. After our most recent abysmal home performance someone flashed up our remaining home fixtures, none of which look that winnable considering we've had the three promoted teams already and only managed four points out of a possible nine. I certainly think that for Fish (for example) to ridicule someone for being concerned about the very real threat of relegation is, quite frankly, fucking stupid.