Arsene Wenger: Toon Raider

Jimbo

ARSENE WENGER will start his radical transfer-window surgery with a three-pronged raid on Newcastle.

The Arsenal boss has targeted Toon trio Shay Given, Steven Taylor and Charles N’Zogbia in an attempt to fix the Gunners’ flagging season.

Wenger has been forced into the January sales after seeing his inept troops slide out of the Champions League positions.

And with skipper Cesc Fabregas crocked for virtually the rest of the season, he wants to move quickly and relatively cheaply to strengthen at The Emirates. His scouts have been scouring Europe for a keeper to rival Manuel Almunia but have come back with the news that there is nobody available better than Given for the price.

The Republic of Ireland stopper would set Arsenal back around £8million — which would appeal to the Frenchman’s sense of value with his £60,000-a-week wages unlikely to threaten Arsenal’s pay structure.

Radar

Sources close to Given have made it clear they believe he will be sold by the end of the transfer window with Arsenal his preferred destination.

Wenger was also lifted by the news Given travelled back to Germany three weeks ago and was given the all-clear by the surgeon who treated him following his collision with Marlon Harewood.

But it isn’t just Given, 32, who is on Arsenal’s radar.

Under-fire Wenger is desperate for cover at centre-half and wants Taylor (above left) to help provide an English-style spine to the team.

Taylor, 22, has been out of favour at St James’ Park for much of the season but has forced his way back into the team recently and Wenger has long been an admirer.

The Geordie signed a £30,000-a-week deal last season but knows he could almost double his money with a move to The Emirates as well as the chance to play under Wenger.

The final part of the jigsaw is French midfielder N’Zogbia (above centre) who is out of contract at the end of the season and has made it perfectly clear he sees his career away from Tyneside.

Toon boss Joe Kinnear is resigned to losing N’Zogbia, 22, but would be anxious to keep both Given and Taylor, although a joint bid of around £15m for the pair would be tempting as he looks to rebuild and strengthen.

Toon owner Mike Ashley is unwilling to invest heavily and has told Kinnear he will have to sell before he starts wheeling and dealing in the transfer window.

The Arsenal boss has targeted Toon trio Shay Given, Steven Taylor and Charles N’Zogbia in an attempt to fix the Gunners’ flagging season.

And people reckon we're safe.

We need to get through the transfer window before we can even consider that, never mind how tight the table still is.

He can have Taylor.

he can ? im sure he will be pleased to know he can have any player he see's quality in that some of our armchair pundits dont :unsure:

Let me know when Taylor needs picking up, I'd gladly take a detour to the Emirates.

He can have Taylor.

he can ? im sure he will be pleased to know he can have any player he see's quality in that some of our armchair pundits dont :unsure:

Let me know when Taylor needs picking up, I'd gladly take a detour to the Emirates.

whys it only newcastle where we shift our youngsters out for not reaching their potential at the age of 22 ?

maybe its cos our coaching setup is wank and players are not improving like they should in their early twentys .

He can have Taylor.

whys it only newcastle where we shift our youngsters out for not reaching their potential at the age of 22 ?

maybe its cos our coaching setup is wank and players are not improving like they should in their early twentys .

I'd be happy to see any over rated pile of twonk sold for an exaggerated fee regardless of their age.

He can have Taylor.

Or maybe it's because he's shit?

He was no shitter than Owen or about 9 others today

Taylor can go for me - his positional sense invites teams on to us as he constantly plays them onside and he is unable to mark from set pieces - Collocini struggles without Bassong but i would certainly retain him - Every time Taylor plays we conceed and if you watch the game sitting in the stadium you understand why (you miss a canny bit of what goes on off the ball when you watch the telly)

Colloccini is better playing on the right side of the central two which is where he gets to play with Bassong, for some reason Taylor is always allowed to play on the right when he plays so it's Colloccini who gets shifted despite being a much better player.

N'Zogbia can go for me like. He only ever performs when he comes on as a sub when other players are tiring. He's just head down and run, he has no idea where he's going and can't pass or cross when he gets there. If we get a decent off for him I'd let him go no problem. I doubt Arsenal are really interested though.