Other games

Park Life

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, because Spain and England were really on top of their game when they were beaten by NI.

They were better than Holland were then ffs they had Hasselbaink on the wing, especially Spain. I'd guess Northern Ireland are the last European team to put 3 past Spain.

Zenden and Overmars on the wing actually, but they weren't up to much, eh?

Quite like Norn Iron. Ignoring some of the divvies who get in Windsor Park I have a soft spot for them for a few reasons. I've spent a lot of time there, I can remember David McCreery in a b&w shirt plus Espana '82 (and to a lesser extent Mexico '86).

pretty sure i named a couple, and no harm Stevie that year northern Ireland beat England 1-0, republic would've dumped 2-3 past them in the same game, England had one of the most dismal qualifying campaigns for being in such a piss poor group we've ever seen.

anyways all this is getting off topic, Republic have had a considerably better last 10&20 years than the north and that's a fact, Italia 90 is probably would got me properly into football and in years to come if someone's asking me about it i'd rather be able to tell them about qualifying for world cups, beating holland to secure a place, beating Baggio/Baresi's italy in america, seeing last minute goals against the Germans from robbie keane than

"aye we beat england 1 nill it was a glorious night!...what? oh err aye we didn't qualify and drew with Azerbaijan and got beaten by Wales :icon_lol:"

@the embarrassing comment above - Rangers fans from here are just as bad as Celtic fans tbh, if not slightly worse at times (imo, though i don't like either team so it's unbiased couldn't pay me to go near an spl game). As for liking northern ireland because you've met fans, i know some fans who are grand normal supporters, i also know 2ton of them and seen/heard it at games (no doubt you could youtube it) who are vastly ignorant bigoted shites, have you been to a game or is this a "i support a team because i don't like celtic and i had a pint with a few people once", because wearing a top because it winds them up is exactly the kind of spastic we have wandering around belfast wearing rangers/celtic tops, oh and for internationals they wear Dutch tops because they're orange and the away tops red/white/blue... ya know just to wind people up.

I hate the manc fans, i wouldn't lob on a liverpool top or a city top.

Dismal qualifying campaign? The only other points we dropped were in Austria 2-0 up after two total howlers from David James, comfortably won every other game. I think England 2006 were better than Holland 2001 by far, certainly on paper, but....that Holland game is over 10 years ago anyway.

pretty sure i named a couple, and no harm Stevie that year northern Ireland beat England 1-0, republic would've dumped 2-3 past them in the same game, England had one of the most dismal qualifying campaigns for being in such a piss poor group we've ever seen.

anyways all this is getting off topic, Republic have had a considerably better last 10&20 years than the north and that's a fact, Italia 90 is probably would got me properly into football and in years to come if someone's asking me about it i'd rather be able to tell them about qualifying for world cups, beating holland to secure a place, beating Baggio/Baresi's italy in america, seeing last minute goals against the Germans from robbie keane than

"aye we beat england 1 nill it was a glorious night!...what? oh err aye we didn't qualify and drew with Azerbaijan and got beaten by Wales :icon_lol:"

@the embarrassing comment above - Rangers fans from here are just as bad as Celtic fans tbh, if not slightly worse at times (imo, though i don't like either team so it's unbiased couldn't pay me to go near an spl game). As for liking northern ireland because you've met fans, i know some fans who are grand normal supporters, i also know 2ton of them and seen/heard it at games (no doubt you could youtube it) who are vastly ignorant bigoted shites, have you been to a game or is this a "i support a team because i don't like celtic and i had a pint with a few people once", because wearing a top because it winds them up is exactly the kind of spastic we have wandering around belfast wearing rangers/celtic tops, oh and for internationals they wear Dutch tops because they're orange and the away tops red/white/blue... ya know just to wind people up.

Dismal qualifying campaign? The only other points we dropped were in Austria 2-0 up after two total howlers from David James, comfortably won every other game. I think England 2006 were better than Holland 2001 by far, certainly on paper, but....that Holland game is over 10 years ago anyway.

Englands problem for years.

Actually it was a really good qualifying campaign by English standards since (I think) it was the first time we'd managed to get through with games to spare up until that point. Still felt like we made hard work of it though and WC qualifying seems easier these days with all the places available and all the minnows.

As for Holland, they must have been decent then as I remember them being shit hot a year earlier in Euro 2000.

It's not. But anyway.

It's not. But anyway.

September 1, 2001

Republic of Ireland 1 - 0 Netherlands Lansdowne Road, Dublin

Referee: Hellmut Krug (DEU)

McAteer 68' Details

Well it will be in 20 days time. I'll re-do the statement then.

You call getting a load of 1-0's and such against teams like wales and Azerbaijan a show of a strong side and a successful campaign? a team getting results like that is not one you crow about beating as if you've just beat some world cup contender.

There's no way at the time you were happy with results like that, you'd have been giving off about them not fulfilling potential as much as i would've if republic had got the same result.

(i'm not even going get into an England are better than X debate, i'm still hearing about 1966 so it's not something thats going to go anywhere same way the irish stuff won't float with me no doubt)

Republic's last 20 yrs vastly superior to Northern Ireland's it's a simple fact with no need to debate

A few seasons before Wales beat Italy and Germany. Besides 1-0's are as good as 5-0's, Italy have won World Cups on 0-0 draws and 1-0 wins.

You know what the jocks and Irish go on about "yous still bleat oan aboot 1966 so yeez dae", I don't think I've heard anyone mention 1966 in conversation like ever. That's honest.

You know what the jocks and Irish go on about "yous still bleat oan aboot 1966 so yeez dae", I don't think I've heard anyone mention 1966 in conversation like ever. That's honest.

Gets a few mentions in the press like :icon_lol:

Aye but anyone would think old ladies in Mecca Bingo are talking about 1966 every neet the way our minnow neighbours go on. When the press do mention it it's normally negative "England have done fuck all since 1966".

Aye but anyone would think old ladies in Mecca Bingo are talking about 1966 every neet the way our minnow neighbours go on. When the press do mention it it's normally negative "England have done fuck all since 1966".

Not just negative, once a tournament starts they get really carried away.

That's the thing though, over there people took the piss out of England's chances in the last WC when I was there but it's mainly the press that big us up. I've never really fancied our chances since Euro '96. That said, you thought we'd win the last WC iirc :lol:

'66 never comes up in regular conversation though, you're right. I remember asking my Dad about it when I was little but even to his generation it's a very distant memory. He'd rather talk about Holland / Ajax in the 70s anyway tbh.

You call getting a load of 1-0's and such against teams like wales and Azerbaijan a show of a strong side and a successful campaign? a team getting results like that is not one you crow about beating as if you've just beat some world cup contender.

There's no way at the time you were happy with results like that, you'd have been giving off about them not fulfilling potential as much as i would've if republic had got the same result.

(i'm not even going get into an England are better than X debate, i'm still hearing about 1966 so it's not something thats going to go anywhere same way the irish stuff won't float with me no doubt)

Republic's last 20 yrs vastly superior to Northern Ireland's it's a simple fact with no need to debate

A few seasons before Wales beat Italy and Germany. Besides 1-0's are as good as 5-0's, Italy have won World Cups on 0-0 draws and 1-0 wins.

I don't think you can compare getting a 1-0 against Azerbaijan to Italy taking better teams like France to penalties to win a world cup.

@66 - press is bad for it, commentators far far worse, you've no idea how irritating it is to be watching an international game that has nothing to do with England and within 10minutes it gets mentioned or they start on the "compare current star player to former actual star player", the normal one at the minute is comparing whoever is up front to Rooney, which leads to rooneys form, his temperament, then it's halftime :icon_lol:

Aye that'll be the same Azerbaijan who beat Russia 12 month ago.

The best thing to do where England are concerned is watch games on RTE, or turn the sound off. It really irritates me when those pesky Irish commentators go on about Dave's magical penalty that barmy night in Genoa... :lol:

"aye we beat england 1 nill it was a glorious night!...what? oh err aye we didn't qualify and drew with Azerbaijan and got beaten by Wales <_<"

I don't think you can compare getting a 1-0 against Azerbaijan to Italy taking better teams like France to penalties to win a world cup.

@66 - press is bad for it, commentators far far worse, you've no idea how irritating it is to be watching an international game that has nothing to do with England and within 10minutes it gets mentioned or they start on the "compare current star player to former actual star player", the normal one at the minute is comparing whoever is up front to Rooney, which leads to rooneys form, his temperament, then it's halftime :icon_lol:

The best thing to do where England are concerned is watch games on RTE, or turn the sound off. It really irritates me when those pesky Irish commentators go on about Dave's magical penalty that barmy night in Genoa... :icon_lol:

:lol: don't forget packies magical save!

Reported

"aye we beat england 1 nill it was a glorious night!...what? oh err aye we didn't qualify and drew with Azerbaijan and got beaten by Wales :D"

The best thing to do where England are concerned is watch games on RTE, or turn the sound off. It really irritates me when those pesky Irish commentators go on about Dave's magical penalty that barmy night in Genoa... <_<

Reported

:icon_lol:

What happened to Nick?

"aye we beat england 1 nill it was a glorious night!...what? oh err aye we didn't qualify and drew with Azerbaijan and got beaten by Wales :D"

The best thing to do where England are concerned is watch games on RTE, or turn the sound off. It really irritates me when those pesky Irish commentators go on about Dave's magical penalty that barmy night in Genoa... <_<

Reported

:icon_lol:

What happened to Nick?

Deported

I have a Norn Iron shirt, I feel sorry for them, pushed aroudn by both Britain and the Republic and they still have an insanely hardcore following, plus I absolutely HATE Celtic, so it's nice to wear it just to wind them up... Away from any loyalist, religious shite, Celtic fans (and thus Ireland fans that are all of a sudden from Scotland) are the biggest cunts on earth.

you're embarrassing yourself with drivel like that post, suggest you don't bother commenting on what you clearly don't understand

:D That would be like me telling you not to comment on a Newcastle thread, because they're an English team and you're not living in England. What don't I understand? I've met heaps of Celtic fans and don't like most of them... i've met a fair few real Irishmen, most of whom are nothing like Celtic fans naturally and most are good people with deece banter, and Northern Ireland gets a lot of shit due to the entire situation over there. I wasn't slagging off any "United Ireland" crap or anything, just saying I hate Celtic and I like Northern Ireland (mostly due to their fans and the aforementioned situation). Just because someone doesn't have the same opinion as you doesn't mean you have to call them embarrassing and have some sort of arrogant stance (also my comments on Neil Lennon were said with my tongue firmly in my cheek, even though I don't like the man).

So you wear a Northern Ireland top because you don't like Celtic? :icon_lol::lol:

If you're going to wear anything to show your displeasure then make it a Rangers shirt. You're complaining about Scottish Ireland fans yet you're an Englishman running around in a Northern Ireland top because of a dislike of Celtic? Think about it. :D

My Northern Ireland top is worn because I like Northern Ireland like I said earlier, and it's hardly as if I wear it all the time, it's a nice shirt and I sometimes play five a side in it. I also have an America shirt with Dempsey 8 on the back, I don't wear that due to a hatred of Mexico or anything :lol:

Edited by CleeToonFan

Anyone who wears an international top which isn't their home country is a total mug. You see these kids in Argentina tops they're a fuckin disgrace, put them in a room with Simon Weston for 10 mins and they'd be putting it on ebay quicker than they could say I'm a mug.

As for Cleetoon wearing a Northern Ireland top isn't going to wind anyone up it just makes you look like a tool.

Anyone who wears an international top which isn't their home country is a total mug. You see these kids in Argentina tops they're a fuckin disgrace, put them in a room with Simon Weston for 10 mins and they'd be putting it on ebay quicker than they could say I'm a mug.

As for Cleetoon wearing a Northern Ireland top isn't going to wind anyone up it just makes you look like a tool.

Why do people still think i'm wearing it to wind people up? I never said that! Fuck me.

Besides, I don't agree with your opening paragraph, Clint Dempsey is my favourite football player and I have a lot of respect for the way the players seem to fight for their shirt in America, hence me having an America shirt. I have a Northern Ireland shirt because I like their fans, team and fact they have an impressive history despite being a small nation. Anyway, they are British, and England technically isn't a sovereign nation, so if you only care about "home country" that'd be true. I also have an England shirt, but due to disliking most of Englands players i'm not the biggest England fan on earth, of course I want England to win when they play in tournaments but it plays a second role to club football every day of the week.

As for your Argentina thing, I disagree too, people need to stop politicising football, if someone loves Lionel Messi et al it doesn't mean they can't show an affinity for the football they play purely based on the fact the United Kingdom (key word, not England) went to war with Argentina 20 years ago and that tensions still run high. If I like a football team based on football i'd happily wear a shirt. Similarly, I hate Italian football and would never wear an Italy shirt, but I have absolutely nothing against the Italian state.

I have a Norn Iron shirt, I feel sorry for them, pushed aroudn by both Britain and the Republic and they still have an insanely hardcore following, plus I absolutely HATE Celtic, so it's nice to wear it just to wind them up... Away from any loyalist, religious shite, Celtic fans (and thus Ireland fans that are all of a sudden from Scotland) are the biggest cunts on earth.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tongue-in-cheek