Other games

Park Life

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with Ant that the only reason I feel any sort of affiliation with the NI football team is because I work with guys who are proper supporters. I'll loosely follow their results and wish them all the best but that's where it ends.

Loyalist fans singing the name of Paddy McCourt. A catholic from Derry who plays for Celtic. So why was Neil Lennon so hated, but no one cares about McCourt?

Lennon was in favour of an "All Ireland" team like they do for the rugby, which makes sense.

That and football fans are fickle, if mccourt was/played shite he'd get it in the neck business as usual

I think Lennon was a cunt as a person as a player, where as McCourt seems a nice kid. That helps. If Northern Ireland played in the World Cup Final would you want them to get beat?

George Best was the biggest advocate of an all Ireland team no one said owt to him.

I'd be neutral really, in general 80% of the fans are still knobs still bitter and chanting the same old shite which is more what I dislike (along with some of the players like David Healy and such, you know they're just bigoted scumbags) and when they lose i do get a little bit of a "aye slap it up ya" feeling for the likes of those people but not for genuine fans like some of the lads i know from work

But as far as the team goes I take as much affiliation to them as I do Italy or something, i'd want whoever was playing the most entertaining football to win, with possibly the opposition simply for the fact i wouldn't wanna hear about it from the 80% lot non stop for the remainder of my life.

eg when they beat england a few years back, you'd have thought David Healy was pele and they'd won the tournament with all the "Our Wee Country" shite and the murals getting painted (in areas you can guess), where as they didn't even fecking qualify.

@the bit in bold, like i said with mccourt, people will put up with a lot more when you're not shite (probably helped that best was from east belfast and not catholic as well but mostly because he was a superstar for them tbh)

With Lennon, he was no best, catholic, playing for celtic and said he would play for an all ireland team, basically ticked every box for them to kick yp a fuss with the last bit when it came out.

Atm they're just awful to watch all that stuff aside i'd rather watch people at work playing than northern ireland vs the usual suspects, people from the irish league and english 2nd divisions etc lining up against part-timers, hard pressed to get a worse game.

To be fair like Ant they've had two results in the last 10 years better than Ireland have produced, beating England 1-0 and beating Spain 3-2.

So, what was this kid's goal like? heard it's special.

"He might be a wee taigy bashturt but he can play sho he can" "aye" "aye".

Edited by McFaul

I have a Norn Iron shirt, I feel sorry for them, pushed aroudn by both Britain and the Republic and they still have an insanely hardcore following, plus I absolutely HATE Celtic, so it's nice to wear it just to wind them up... Away from any loyalist, religious shite, Celtic fans (and thus Ireland fans that are all of a sudden from Scotland) are the biggest cunts on earth.

I have a Norn Iron shirt, I feel sorry for them, pushed aroudn by both Britain and the Republic and they still have an insanely hardcore following, plus I absolutely HATE Celtic, so it's nice to wear it just to wind them up... Away from any loyalist, religious shite, Celtic fans (and thus Ireland fans that are all of a sudden from Scotland) are the biggest cunts on earth.

you're embarrassing yourself with drivel like that post, suggest you don't bother commenting on what you clearly don't understand

:icon_lol: That would be like me telling you not to comment on a Newcastle thread, because they're an English team and you're not living in England. What don't I understand? I've met heaps of Celtic fans and don't like most of them... i've met a fair few real Irishmen, most of whom are nothing like Celtic fans naturally and most are good people with deece banter, and Northern Ireland gets a lot of shit due to the entire situation over there. I wasn't slagging off any "United Ireland" crap or anything, just saying I hate Celtic and I like Northern Ireland (mostly due to their fans and the aforementioned situation). Just because someone doesn't have the same opinion as you doesn't mean you have to call them embarrassing and have some sort of arrogant stance (also my comments on Neil Lennon were said with my tongue firmly in my cheek, even though I don't like the man).

you're embarrassing yourself with drivel like that post, suggest you don't bother commenting on what you clearly don't understand

To be fair I think he has a point about Scottish Ireland fans supporting them purely because of Celtic, the vast majority of them are 4th, 5th and 6th generation immigrants. I'd be embarrassed.

To be fair like Ant they've had two results in the last 10 years better than Ireland have produced, beating England 1-0 and beating Spain 3-2.

lol have they fuck Stevie, as ewerk said qualified for nothing, and no harm those two results meant/mean nothing when you've also had piss poor results against barely top 100 international teams, including drawing with the faroe islands not so long ago and defeats against albania and wales (who republic tanked 3-0)

England in the qualifiers, you were utterly piss poor throughout that entire qualification, struggling to get 1 against Azerbaijan and drawing with the likes of austria, even only managed to get 1 past wales in cardiff sure.

Ya mentioned Spain, that'd be the team that just about knocked ireland out of the last 16 in the 2002 world cup, only managing to do it in penos, a world cup we qualified for beating Holland and drawing with Portugal twice in the group stages,

nevermind featuring in 3 of the last 6 world cups, which was almost 4...stupid handballing cnt henry.

Those two wins against England/Spain took N.Ireland from like 105th in the world rankings to 30th or something...from which point they've slowly slowly started to ebb back up to upper echelons (back upto top 80 i think)...Republic are still in around top30 iirc

I'd take ireland last 10 years any day of the week over N.irelands... let alone going back to 1990+ with McGrath and co.

The fact is those two results were better in one off results than anything ROI have produced in the last ten years. When Ireland drew with Spain in 2002, we're not talking about today's Spain, they were wank Ireland should have won even with ten men. As for mentioning Albania, they have beaten far bigger countries than Northern Ireland.

And they've qualified for precisely fuck all in the past 25 years.

A country of 1.5m people, of which half of the population want them to lose? The shame.

My point was that one-off results mean fuck all in the grand scheme. I'd much rather have memories of being at four major tournaments in the past 25 years than fondly remembering the night Healy 'slayed' England.

A country of 1.5m people, of which half of the population want them to lose? The shame.

My point was that one-off results mean fuck all in the grand scheme. I'd much rather have memories of being at four major tournaments in the past 25 years than fondly remembering the night Healy 'slayed' England.

Well you're too young to remember Euro 88, and possibly even Italia 90.

:icon_lol: That would be like me telling you not to comment on a Newcastle thread, because they're an English team and you're not living in England. What don't I understand? I've met heaps of Celtic fans and don't like most of them... i've met a fair few real Irishmen, most of whom are nothing like Celtic fans naturally and most are good people with deece banter, and Northern Ireland gets a lot of shit due to the entire situation over there. I wasn't slagging off any "United Ireland" crap or anything, just saying I hate Celtic and I like Northern Ireland (mostly due to their fans and the aforementioned situation). Just because someone doesn't have the same opinion as you doesn't mean you have to call them embarrassing and have some sort of arrogant stance (also my comments on Neil Lennon were said with my tongue firmly in my cheek, even though I don't like the man).

So you wear a Northern Ireland top because you don't like Celtic? :lol::icon_lol:

If you're going to wear anything to show your displeasure then make it a Rangers shirt. You're complaining about Scottish Ireland fans yet you're an Englishman running around in a Northern Ireland top because of a dislike of Celtic? Think about it. <_<

I didn't say I remembered it myself, I was speaking generally.

Anyway, the success of both countries isn't mutually exclusive. As I said before, I'd like to see Northern Ireland do well but to try and say their recent history has been greater than the Republic's is laughable.

Anyway, the success of both countries isn't mutually exclusive. As I said before, I'd like to see Northern Ireland do well but to try and say their recent history has been greater than the Republic's is laughable.

All I said was tell me a better result Ireland have had in the last 10 years than those two, neither you nor Ant could do it.

All I said was tell me a better result Ireland have had in the last 10 years than those two, neither you nor Ant could do it.

What do you want? Off the top of my head, beating Holland and qualifying ahead of them for 2002 WC.

What do you want? Off the top of my head, beating Holland and qualifying ahead of them for 2002 WC.

Holland were shite then, and that's over 10 years ago

Aye, because Spain and England were really on top of their game when they were beaten by NI.

They were better than Holland were then ffs they had Hasselbaink on the wing, especially Spain. I'd guess Northern Ireland are the last European team to put 3 past Spain.