toothache

trophyshy

If its an infected root the only thing that will fix the pain is amoxycillin.

Thats an antibiotic - its doesn't work on pain it works on infection, unless you mean clear the infection get rid of the pain

I did mean getting at the underlying cause - I then read back and saw he was in the middle of root canal treatment anyway - they usually give the antibiotics first before treatment in my experience.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch poor you, toothache is awful. I remember I once had a nerve dying off and I was literally screaming in pain. Luckily for us one of our best friends is a dentist. Hes great, does our teeth for free and hubby looks after his motorbikes. Recently hubby had awful pain over the weekend, but our mate met him at his surgery late at night and sorted it out. Like someone said no credit crunch for dentists, he is extremely well off!

The diclofenac was a good shout (if it agrees with you, if it gives you indigestion etc then stop) Im taking 75mg twice a day at the moment for severe back pain along with co-codamol for the pain, I was on Diazepam too for the first few days as I suffered back spasms which was just the worst pain I've EVER experienced! Been off work for 3 weeks ,I'm so fed up of it.

Oh happy days! :superman2sa2:

Yeah this is an infected/dying nerve...not quite as painful as getting stilletoed in the nads, but close.

When i first went to the dentist (emergency appointment) they kept me waiting twenty minutes and I was virtually hallucinating with pain, fidgeting, cold sweats, looking like a needy crack user. Dentist came down to apologise for keeping me waiting however invited someone else up. I looked at her and said in my best, escalating 'here's Johnny!' voice, "Can I just let you know I am in EXCRUCIATING PAIN!". Would've been funny it I wasn't so fucking sore. I was receiving injections within 2 minutes.

I had 10mg of diazepam on tuesday night to help me sleep. Totally ruined me yesterday I couldn't get out of bed.

Did I also mention I have an eye infection? Eyelid swollen up like plum, lot of it about apparently.

Is it 36 when the body starts to pack in or what? :superman2sa2:

Yeah this is an infected/dying nerve...not quite as painful as getting stilletoed in the nads, but close.

When i first went to the dentist (emergency appointment) they kept me waiting twenty minutes and I was virtually hallucinating with pain, fidgeting, cold sweats, looking like a needy crack user. Dentist came down to apologise for keeping me waiting however invited someone else up. I looked at her and said in my best, escalating 'here's Johnny!' voice, "Can I just let you know I am in EXCRUCIATING PAIN!". Would've been funny it I wasn't so fucking sore. I was receiving injections within 2 minutes.

I had 10mg of diazepam on tuesday night to help me sleep. Totally ruined me yesterday I couldn't get out of bed.

Did I also mention I have an eye infection? Eyelid swollen up like plum, lot of it about apparently.

poor you, whilst you're buying the voltarol and anbesol, sounds like you may need to invest in some chloramphenicol eye drops too, that should sort you out.

Not having a good time of it are you honey :lol:

poor you, whilst you're buying the voltarol and anbesol, sounds like you may need to invest in some chloramphenicol eye drops too, that should sort you out.

aha, have you been hibernating

Not sure I agree with folks been able to pick chloramphenicol up otc. I suppose its ok as long as they visit their optician to check out the underlying cause / it isn't viral. But how many will bother to do that?

Oh and stop taking 1.5g of para - thats very naughty, it only takes a small amount to overdose and you should never underestimate the power of paracetamol or the effect it has on your body - it's prescription only in most countries for a reason, lol. 1g ONLY every 4-6 hours no more than 8 in any 24 hour period. Consider yourself severely reprimanded mister! he he.

What's the upper reaches of the safe dose of ibruprofen? A friend of mine (who was a vet) used to reckon it was ok to pop three 400mg tablets at once from time to time if the situation demanded it.

Oh and stop taking 1.5g of para - thats very naughty, it only takes a small amount to overdose and you should never underestimate the power of paracetamol or the effect it has on your body - it's prescription only in most countries for a reason, lol. 1g ONLY every 4-6 hours no more than 8 in any 24 hour period. Consider yourself severely reprimanded mister! he he.

What's the upper reaches of the safe dose of ibruprofen? A friend of mine (who was a vet) used to reckon it was ok to pop three 400mg tablets at once from time to time if the situation demanded it.

Was he using it on a horse? Anything above 800mg three times a day would probably be off the product license and increase the risk of GI ulceration.

Incidentally I don't agree with soccermom's advice on diclofenac, I reckon you're better off sticking to ibuprofen. Both drugs are NSAIDs with a very similar spectrum of activity and adverse effects (if you use ibuprofen at higher doses), I don't really see any advantage in diclofenac for a short-term acutely painful condition.

The government have made drugs like diclofenac and chloramphenicol available over the counter in a bid to reduce GP's workloads. Which is fine usually but like you suggest there will be a small proportion of people who have a sinister cause for their symptoms who will get a delayed diagnosis. You can even get low-dose simvastatin OTC in the UK which is frankly ridiculous.

Was he using it on a horse? Anything above 800mg three times a day would probably be off the product license and increase the risk of GI ulceration.

Incidentally I don't agree with soccermom's advice on diclofenac, I reckon you're better off sticking to ibuprofen. Both drugs are NSAIDs with a very similar spectrum of activity and adverse effects (if you use ibuprofen at higher doses), I don't really see any advantage in diclofenac for a short-term acutely painful condition.

The government have made drugs like diclofenac and chloramphenicol available over the counter in a bid to reduce GP's workloads. Which is fine usually but like you suggest there will be a small proportion of people who have a sinister cause for their symptoms who will get a delayed diagnosis. You can even get low-dose simvastatin OTC in the UK which is frankly ridiculous.

Totally agree about simv, thats stupidity.

But I'm one of those people who has no reaction to ibuprofen and find diclofenac very helpful, somepeople just do not absorb the power of ibuprofen well, (I have checked this with a palliative consultant friend of mine who specifically deals with pain - for all you non medics out there) and a 50mg dose of diclofenac if not asthmatic would be recommended for this type of pain, not all NSAID are the same or act in exactly the same way as I am very sure you know, and I'm quite sure you know peoples tolerances and reactions to different drugs can also be widely varied.

Chloramphenicol, I don't see the problem if it's just to provide some relief whilst waiting for a doctors appointment, if a reaction occurs discontinue use and seek medical advice, if it soothes then all well and good til you get an appointment, but I'm not saying just self medicate and don't seek advice.

ibuprofen 6-8hrly 400mg tops - didn't read that bit earlier - should someone go round and check he hasn't done himself in with all these pills, I heard mention of Diaz before! he he.

Just wanted to help the guy out while he's waiting to be seen.

Edited by soccermom

.......YUP!!!

Got some voltarol, although had to persuade the pharmacist it was appropriate for dental pain. He didn't believe me so I said Soccermom had advised me and he better check his facts. He checked the box and it does indeed list toothache.

So Soccermom 1 My Spazzy Pharmacist 0

:superman2sa2:

Soccermom suffers from cock ache on a regular basis

You still upset cos I won't suck your chupa chup?

No, I'm upset because you won't suck my chopper.

Maybe one day when you're all growed up. :superman2sa2:

Soccermom suffers from cock ache on a regular basis

You still upset cos I won't suck your chupa chup?

No, I'm upset because you won't suck my chopper.

Maybe one day when you're all growed up. :superman2sa2:

You know you want to.

Ha Ha, Not half as much as you want me to.

I couldn't possibly, no other woman would ever measure up after i'd deflowered you.

You'd become obsessed with me and I just couldn't cope with a stalker at the moment.

No means NO!

Got some voltarol, although had to persuade the pharmacist it was appropriate for dental pain. He didn't believe me so I said Soccermom had advised me and he better check his facts. He checked the box and it does indeed list toothache.

So Soccermom 1 My Spazzy Pharmacist 0

:superman2sa2:

Has it helped you any hon?

I couldn't possibly, no other woman would ever measure up after i'd deflowered you.

You'd become obsessed with me and I just couldn't cope with a stalker at the moment.

No means NO!

I can sense your frustration, give in and roll with it, you're gagging. We can do this by PM if it makes you feel better.

No means NO!

I can sense your frustration, give in and roll with it, you're gagging. We can do this by PM if it makes you feel better.

Stalker! :superman2sa2:

• 2 months later...

I may have discovered a new magic bullet.

I woke up yesterday morning at 4am with a toothache and couldn't get back to sleep. It eased a bit over the next couple of hours so I went to work and booked a trip to the dentists for Monday.

Got in last night and it went absolutely nuclear - stayed up until 2am waiting for it to ease to the point of making sleep possible.

Got up this morning and after a dullish start it started to go mental again so I went to the chemists and bought some Anbesol gum gel which within half an hour seems to have completely stopped the pain.

Of course it could be coincidence and the nerve has died but looking good at the moment.

I may have discovered a new magic bullet.

I woke up yesterday morning at 4am with a toothache and couldn't get back to sleep. It eased a bit over the next couple of hours so I went to work and booked a trip to the dentists for Monday.

Got in last night and it went absolutely nuclear - stayed up until 2am waiting for it to ease to the point of making sleep possible.

Got up this morning and after a dullish start it started to go mental again so I went to the chemists and bought some Anbesol gum gel which within half an hour seems to have completely stopped the pain.

Of course it could be coincidence and the nerve has died but looking good at the moment.

Im having some bother too, washing my mouth with hot salty water does wonders though. Whisky does a good job too.