So did Watchmen get a worldwide release last Friday

Cid_MCDP

Going to see it tonight with some friends. Can't wait.

If it's great, well then awesome.

If it sucks, then it's time for a new sig.

Did it come out across the pond as well?

Ok, I am one of those people who has read the graphic novel like 100 times. Just so you know.

I loved it. It's basically just like the GN. The ending is slightly different as are a few parts here and there, but 98% of the movie is straight from the comic, one way or another (shots are at the same angles, dialogue is the same, etc.). As far as the ending goes, it's the same ending effectively, it's just "blamed" differently.

So, it isn't much of a surprise that I liked it, but what did kind of surprise me is that my wife really liked it too. She's not a comic fan at all, and when I started hearing it was almost three hours long I really started to worry that she'd be able to hang, but she loved it too.

As for the folks who couldn't follow it- I'm curious to hear what was so confusing about it. I mean, no, it wasn't Transformers- there actually was a plot, and a relatively deep one at that, but she had absolutely no trouble following along and understanding the plot.

I loved it. Somebody finally made a comic book movie that they didn't fuck around with and just actually made the damn comic book.

Sloop- how could you say this was the worst movie since Wanted? Wanted was a half-baked Fight Club wannabe that survived solely on the idea that even if you're some cubicle-dwelling dumbass, you can still be a superhero! Oh- and if you're not into that, here's U.N. Goodwill Ambassador Angelina Jolie in an outfit making sexy faces! It was totally made and marketed to the lowest common denominator (and completely unlike the comic which I thought sucked as well, but not as bad as the movie).

Edited by Cid_MCDP

Never heard of it, what's it about?

A bunch of "costumed adventurers" are told to disband by the government, but when one of them is brutally murdered in his apartment, the group is re-formed to try and solve the mystery behind their former ally's death.

... more or less.

General theme that I've noticed seems to be those who've read the graphic novel think it's great and anyone who hasn't thinks it's shit.

Yeah, I don't really get that-

Time magazine and everybody else seems to think the Watchmen graphic novel was super great- puts it on some kind of "Most Important Literature" list.

Zach Snyder makes a movie that's exactly like the graphic novel (as much as time allows in a nearly 3-hour movie)

(Some) Movie reviewers say only fans of the comic would like the movie.

???

For what it's worth, my wife thought the movie was great and she's not a comic book person. At all.

seems to be a great swathe of angry movie fan angst thrown at the current swell in comic book movies. Almost like they're angry that decent movies are coming out of a genre of literature that has been long mocked and derided by "proper" book readers and whatnot.

this is not a well thought out or strung together theory.

Sloop- how could you say this was the worst movie since Wanted? Wanted was a half-baked Fight Club wannabe that survived solely on the idea that even if you're some cubicle-dwelling dumbass, you can still be a superhero! Oh- and if you're not into that, here's U.N. Goodwill Ambassador Angelina Jolie in an outfit making sexy faces! It was totally made and marketed to the lowest common denominator (and completely unlike the comic which I thought sucked as well, but not as bad as the movie).

what i wrote on another forum:

misanthropic, corny, trite, bafflingly boring - i couldn't quite believe and I can't really describe how bad it was. even the structure of the film was horrendous. the music was ridiculously misplaced and cheesy. the acting was terrible and multiple hand sex :baby:

the only positive thing I can say is that choreography and the special effects are good. but they should be with a 120 million dollar budget.

and I thought 300 was appalling...

misanthropic, corny, trite, bafflingly boring - i couldn't quite believe and I can't really describe how bad it was. even the structure of the film was horrendous. the music was ridiculously misplaced and cheesy. the acting was terrible and multiple hand sex :baby:

the only positive thing I can say is that choreography and the special effects are good. but they should be with a 120 million dollar budget.

See, I didn't really like 300 either. I mean, I wouldn't go so far as to call it appaling, but I didn't go nuts over it the way everyone else did. I didn't buy the DVD, let's put it that way.

Misanthropic? Well, yeah. I mean, that's sort of the whole point, innit? That we're so fucked up we have to be tricked into not killing ourselves? Dunno if that really counts though-, y'know? To me, that's like saying Reznor makes depressing music or seeing Lord of the Rings and calling it a fantasy.

Corny, trite, and boring? I don't know, man. Maybe I got old or something. I just didn't see it as that at all.

Edited by Cid_MCDP

seems to be a great swathe of angry movie fan angst thrown at the current swell in comic book movies. Almost like they're angry that decent movies are coming out of a genre of literature that has been long mocked and derided by "proper" book readers and whatnot.

this is not a well thought out or strung together theory.

See, I think it's some of that and also some of the "anti-hype" machine. Watchmen has been so steadily hyped for what, 6-8 months, that some people are just so sick of hearing about it, they've decided to hate it. Or they just want to be that guy that didn't like something just because everyone else did.

I don't know. Again, take it for what it's worth because I'm a fan of the comic or whatever, but I really, really liked it. I thought it was really well done.

A bunch of "costumed adventurers" are told to disband by the government, but when one of them is brutally murdered in his apartment, the group is re-formed to try and solve the mystery behind their former ally's death.

... more or less.

Sorta like Scooby Doo on LSD?

I've only seen the opening scene where the comedian gets murdered but I thought the use of Unforgetable playing during it was superb.

... more or less.

Sorta like Scooby Doo on LSD?

Yeah, but when they unmask the Swamp Monster, turns out it's them that done it- not Old Man Caruthers from the amusement park. :baby:

Wait- do you mean the old Scooby Doo or the shite ones from the '80s with Scrappy Doo and Scooby Dumb? Cause it's nothing like the '80's one. Although it does take place in the '80s. No Harlem Globetrotters either. Oh, and Don Knotts walks around with a "The End Is Nigh" sign and throws grease in an inmate's face.

Edited by Cid_MCDP

I've only seen the opening scene where the comedian gets murdered but I thought the use of Unforgetable playing during it was superb.

wait till you get to possibly the worst sex scene of all time (complete with jet flame orgasm symbolism) with Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah in the background

wait till you get to possibly the worst sex scene of all time (complete with jet flame orgasm symbolism) with Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah in the background

Any sex scene where the girl leaves her thigh-high boots on by definition CANNOT be the worst sex scene of all time.

Any sex scene where the girl leaves her thigh-high boots on by definition CANNOT be the worst sex scene of all time.

After watching it last night I agree with both Sloop on the woefull use of Cohen and CID on the boots.

I also think that the jet flame was actually a perfectly judged comic book (which let's not forget is what this film is based on) moment. Maybe I'm wrong but I took it being there for comedic effect rather having any serious intent behind it.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the film. In a lot of ways it gave me exactly what I've always wanted a comic film to give me, a story that isn't just your average how I got my powers fair and actually has a dark story behind it. I don't know why people are struggling to understand it having not read the book because I had no problems at all. I loved Rorshach (I suspect my spelling is way off there) and The Comedian who are both the kind of deeper comic characters that usually never make it to the screen.

That said I thought the ending was a bit weak and I can't really believe that The Watchmen is the best comic ever because from what I'm seeing in the film isn't a story that's quite strong enough.

After watching it last night I agree with both Sloop on the woefull use of Cohen and CID on the boots.

I also think that the jet flame was actually a perfectly judged comic book (which let's not forget is what this film is based on) moment. Maybe I'm wrong but I took it being there for comedic effect rather having any serious intent behind it.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the film. In a lot of ways it gave me exactly what I've always wanted a comic film to give me, a story that isn't just your average how I got my powers fair and actually has a dark story behind it. I don't know why people are struggling to understand it having not read the book because I had no problems at all. I loved Rorshach (I suspect my spelling is way off there) and The Comedian who are both the kind of deeper comic characters that usually never make it to the screen.

That said I thought the ending was a bit weak and I can't really believe that The Watchmen is the best comic ever because from what I'm seeing in the film isn't a story that's quite strong enough.

The movie isn't the book in it's entirety, and The Watchmen isn't the best comic book ever. It's just one of the few comics to have migrated into the mainstream and maintain any semblance of serious tone.

Just got back from watching it tonight. Probably pay to see it at the IMAX because the view I had wasn't great and the people behind were there to kill time rather than any desire to watch the film by the sounds of things.

I came away a little disappointed, but more because I had such high hopes for it, they were unlikely to have ever been met. All in all I enjoyed the film, at least 4 out of 5 stars imo.

Saw it tonight.

I enjoyed it, it was weird and quirky, with likeable yet hateable characters and me and wor fella both agree that if someone asked us what it was about we couldn't really explain it properly.

a rating out of 10 i'd give it a 6.5, worth a watch but wouldn't chose to see it again if something else was on offer over on ITV.

saw the trailers for star trek, lesbian vampires and xmen origin

lesbian vampires - James Corden - looks funny as fk,and wouldn't mind seeing that trek one with simon thingy in as scotty - looks good.

Xmen - not a big fan of prequels.