Robert walks out on Portsmouth

Gemmill

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/051029/1/emlj.html

Perrin quiet on Robert absence

Sat 29 Oct, 9:50 PM

Portsmouth boss Alain Perrin refused to let the controversy over his omission of Laurent Robert tarnish his side's 4-1 win over Sunderland.

Perrin refused to confirm reports the Frenchman had stormed out of the dressing room after discovering he had only been named on the bench.

Advertisement

But he did express his frustration after admitting Robert pulled out at the last minute citing an injury problem which came as news to Perrin.

Perrin, who was forced to name only four substitutes after Salif Diao failed a late fitness test, said: "After I announced the team before the match Robert came to tell me he had a groin injury so he couldn't play."

Asked about the cause of Robert's injury Perrin added: "This is what I want to know but we will see next week and ask him on Monday because we didn't know before that he was injured.

"He was very calm and he explained he is not able to play and maybe it is better for the other players so he preferred not to play."

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember threads started about 10 seconds after Bellamy scored for Blackburn and also the initial honeymoon period for Robert at Pompey.

Some of the bile is stupid considering what he did for us but this latest thing does prove one point that "outers" made at the end. Robert is a selfish twat who doesn't care about his team. Would any of his defenders care to deny that?

Theres also a Pompey fan who posts on the SMB who took about two weeks to see through him and reckon a lot of their fans are the same. When the story broke yesterday he said "Good - Taylor will play" - you know the player who scored 2 and won them the game.

51085[/snapback]

I don't recall those threads on here NJS. Ans I'm not particularly interested by the opinion of one Pompey fan who posts on a Sunderland messageboard.

Robert probably does have an attitude problem. But then so does Dyer - remember, the player most responsible for Robson's dismissal? You could also argue Shearer has an attitude problem - he didn't take kindly to getting subbed.

I'll base my opinions on Robert by the facts, not idle tittle tattle expressed by some on here. Our most productive midfielder, and a player linstrumental in getting us to 4th/3rd in the prem, despite wierd protestations we were somehow punching above our weight. And are we better now without him? Not in my opinion.

I remember threads started about 10 seconds after Bellamy scored for Blackburn and also the initial honeymoon period for Robert at Pompey.

Some of the bile is stupid considering what he did for us but this latest thing does prove one point that "outers" made at the end. Robert is a selfish twat who doesn't care about his team. Would any of his defenders care to deny that?

Theres also a Pompey fan who posts on the SMB who took about two weeks to see through him and reckon a lot of their fans are the same. When the story broke yesterday he said "Good - Taylor will play" - you know the player who scored 2 and won them the game.

51085[/snapback]

I don't recall those threads on here NJS. Ans I'm not particularly interested by the opinion of one Pompey fan who posts on a Sunderland messageboard.

Robert probably does have an attitude problem. But then so does Dyer - remember, the player most responsible for Robson's dismissal? You could also argue Shearer has an attitude problem - he didn't take kindly to getting subbed.

I'll base my opinions on Robert by the facts, not idle tittle tattle expressed by some on here. Our most productive midfielder, and a player linstrumental in getting us to 4th/3rd in the prem, despite wierd protestations we were somehow punching above our weight. And are we better now without him? Not in my opinion.

51110[/snapback]

Dyer has been a little shit on several occasions and I've never been eager to defend him but I stand by saying that Robert is the king of selfishness. All of his articles (especially the well timed one) pointed the finger a others and never accepted responsibility for himself (in contrast to the similarly criticised Titus one).

I'm not denying what he did for us and the fact he's obviously a good player but the point is that some players go too far too often in stirring things up. The lengths to which some will go to defend such behaviour just because they don't like the manager is wrong imo.

I'm not denying what he did for us and the fact he's obviously a good player but the point is that some players go too far too often in stirring things up. The lengths to which some will go to defend such behaviour just because they don't like the manager is wrong imo.

51114[/snapback]

Can't speak for others but the reasons i defended Robert (under Bobby and Souness) is because of what he had done for us and was still doing for us in terms of goals scored, created and generally being the only midfielder likely to do either at times. The manager doesn't even need to come into my defence of Robert.

51114[/snapback]

Can't speak for others but the reasons i defended Robert (under Bobby and Souness) is because of what he had done for us and was still doing for us in terms of goals scored, created and generally being the only midfielder likely to do either at times. The manager doesn't even need to come into my defence of Robert.

51116[/snapback]

I realise theres an element of that in people argument and what I said probably more applies to Bellamy in terms of the blind (imo) "never did any wrong" views.

I always recognised the balance in Robert which benefitted us most of the time but by the end was going too far to the "too much bother" side.

51114[/snapback]

51116[/snapback]

I realise theres an element of that in people argument and what I said probably more applies to Bellamy in terms of the blind (imo) "never did any wrong" views.

I always recognised the balance in Robert which benefitted us most of the time but by the end was going too far to the "too much bother" side.

51119[/snapback]

Thats the thing, in all the time i defended Bellamy and Robert's place at NUFC i never thought either of them were perfect or did nothing wrong. BUt all i ever give a toss about is the teams results and were were far better with them than without, and especially in the case of Bellamy we still would be far better off, but we don't want to open that debate again :o

Thats the thing, in all the time i defended Bellamy and Robert's place at NUFC i never thought either of them were perfect or did nothing wrong. BUt all i ever give a toss about is the teams results and were were far better with them than without, and especially in the case of Bellamy we still would be far better off, but we don't want to open that debate again :o

51126[/snapback]

I'm not a "zero tolerance" person by any means and always had the "on the pitch matters" attitude but just think there are some limits (agree on the no debate :o)

Dyer has been a little shit on several occasions and I've never been eager to defend him but I stand by saying that Robert is the king of selfishness. All of his articles (especially the well timed one) pointed the finger a others and never accepted responsibility for himself (in contrast to the similarly criticised Titus one).

51114[/snapback]

I just can't agree with that. The article in question was written about a week before the Sporting game, but published by the paper in order to create maximum impact - hardly Robert's fault. And whilst the timing was questionable, not a word he said was untrue. And contrary to what you say, I recall he did mention his own poor form as well, and I don't recall on him blaming anyone else apart for Souness (in a tacit way).

Big deal, a better manager would have risen above it, but not Souness, who let the situation explode to our detriment. Just like this story, which is really a no-story, I can't help feeling some fans are seizing on these things because they dislike Robert as a player so much. Why, I don't know. I know the facts and they tell their own story.

I honestly don't see how a player refusing to play in a team when named just before kick off is a non story. The injury thing is clearly bollocks - why did he leave the ground?

I don't dislike Robert as a player and don't know the man so can't comment on a personal level but I do think he has a very non-team attitude to football which I think is why he ins't the player he likes to think he is.

I honestly don't see how a player refusing to play in a team when named just before kick off is a non story. The injury thing is clearly bollocks - why did he leave the ground?

I don't dislike Robert as a player and don't know the man so can't comment on a personal level but I do think he has a very non-team attitude to football which I think is why he ins't the player he likes to think he is.

51134[/snapback]

OK, I concede he has quite a selfish attitude, but then again you could say the same thing about half our squad. But its all history now as far as I'm concerned so I will now shut up about it.

51134[/snapback]

OK, I concede he has quite a selfish attitude, but then again you could say the same thing about half our squad. But its all history now as far as I'm concerned so I will now shut up about it.

51138[/snapback]

Which other players in Newcastle's recent history would ever feign an injury? I can't think of one tbh ;)

51114[/snapback]

Wow, those "articles" cropping up again. Those who were twisted in the tabloids all the time? Those who got translated by N-U-T beforehand and had often nothing in common with what was being read into it by Anal Oliver? And the "well timed" article where he just said that the team hadn't been good enough during the season, including himself? I wrote it at that time and I say it again, if this article was selfish I still don't know what dropping Robert who had been responsible for most of the goals that got Souness and Shepherd out of the fire (e.g. Holland) dropping for the two most important matches in a season was.

We all know Robert was selfish, we all know Robert was very inconsistent, we all know his defensive work was lacking guile. We all should know that he was still instrumental in getting Newcastle into the top places.

Portsmouth's Laurent Robert said he "made a foolish mistake" by not telling Alain Perrin he had an injury problem before the game with Sunderland, leaving them with just four substitutes (Times).

51114[/snapback]

Wow, those "articles" cropping up again. Those who were twisted in the tabloids all the time? Those who got translated by N-U-T beforehand and had often nothing in common with what was being read into it by Anal Oliver? And the "well timed" article where he just said that the team hadn't been good enough during the season, including himself? I wrote it at that time and I say it again, if this article was selfish I still don't know what dropping Robert who had been responsible for most of the goals that got Souness and Shepherd out of the fire (e.g. Holland) dropping for the two most important matches in a season was.

We all know Robert was selfish, we all know Robert was very inconsistent, we all know his defensive work was lacking guile. We all should know that he was still instrumental in getting Newcastle into the top places.

51409[/snapback]

And some of us know that by the time we peddled him he was a shadow of that player that got us into the top places. ;)

51114[/snapback]

51409[/snapback]

And some of us know that by the time we peddled him he was a shadow of that player that got us into the top places. ;)

51420[/snapback]

Though, some of us knew this even when he was getting us in those places...

51085[/snapback]

Really? I don't remember those at all. Sure you aren't being a bit of a fibber here, mate?

Anyway, what's all this about his 'defenders?'. As I've said over and over again, all I give a shite about is what players produce on the pitch for Newcastle. Robert produced more than the rest of the midfield put together, dispute that all you like but you'll be wrong according to the facts.

When Shearer put his dispute with Gullit ahead of the club, I suppose that wasn't him being a selfish twat?

51085[/snapback]

Really? I don't remember those at all. Sure you aren't being a bit of a fibber here, mate?

Anyway, what's all this about his 'defenders?'. As I've said over and over again, all I give a shite about is what players produce on the pitch for Newcastle. Robert produced more than the rest of the midfield put together, dispute that all you like but you'll be wrong according to the facts.

When Shearer put his dispute with Gullit ahead of the club, I suppose that wasn't him being a selfish twat?

51831[/snapback]

Most of us lean towards "on the pitch" but as I said there are limits - what are yours - rapists? murderers?

Robert's contribution when he was good last year was the best of a bad bunch but most recognise his standards had dropped generally (and I refer to the attacking side here). I've seen enough promise in Emre and Nobby to think in big picture terms he won't be a critical loss.

51085[/snapback]

51831[/snapback]

Most of us lean towards "on the pitch" but as I said there are limits - what are yours - rapists? murderers?

Robert's contribution when he was good last year was the best of a bad bunch but most recognise his standards had dropped generally (and I refer to the attacking side here). I've seen enough promise in Emre and Nobby to think in big picture terms he won't be a critical loss.

51841[/snapback]

Well, of course, anything criminal would have to be taken more seriously than something twisted into another meaning by the press. But if that's your limit, fair enough. I want what's best for the team and I don't believe everything I read in the papers because it suits what I think of a player. I also don't defend Robert as a quality player because I think Souness is a nob. That was a bit of a strange comment anarl.

Solano and Emre don't play in the same role as Robert, not at all sure why you're comparing them.

Edited by Howaythelads

Solano and Emre don't play in the same role as Robert, not at all sure why you're comparing them.

51863[/snapback]

Simply in terms of creative midfielders.

One thing I do agree with Souness on is that the better teams don't have "lazy" wingers like Robert anymore and prefer more adaptive footballers whether they're nominally wide men or not.

n'zogbia has his limitations,bit naive and not as strong as he will be,but surely more effective than robert has been for the last 2 years.

htl mate,you quote facts/stats,you know how stats can be manipulated!!

51916[/snapback]

Last one year maybe.

But the season before, from October to March was his best consistent form for Newcastle, and he was scoring and setting-up goals for fun. Without him that year, we'd have been nowhere near 5th. Funny how the following season when we didn't see much of Robert, we actually were nowhere near 5th spot. ;)