The Boxing thread

Jimbo

18 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Well he couldn't actually view any website after Ant infected his computer with a virus.

Dont worry about him though, he's forgotten all about it.

I see Andre Ward has retired, saying his body is not up to it any more. Whatever you think of his style he's an absolutely certainty to be inducte into the Hall of Fame. I think he was about 12 the last time he lost a fight. I think even if you think he lost the first fight to Kovalev then it was still impressive the way he got back up and got himself into the fight. I think he was fantastic in the 2nd fight, even if the stoppage was controversial, especially when you consider what Kovalev did to previous opponents. His most impressive display I reckon was against Froch who nearly always seemed to find a way to win but who was totally outclassed, outpunched and outboxed by Ward.

7 minutes ago, Ant said:

aye must admit i thought Kovalev was going to absolutely destroy him, and yeah been a great champion with an excellent record.

would've been interesting to see him fight GGG a few years ago when it was rumored to be on the cards before the Kovalev fights started to get organised, hard to organise that fight with GGG though not sure it would've generated the money it would've needed to.

Think he'd have been a bit too big and outpointed GGG. Not a criticism of GGG, just one's a Super Middleweight / Light Heavy (Ward won the Olympics at the latter). Would've been a good one though. Think the impressive thing about Ward is his ability (like Calzaghe) to make the necessary adjustments in a fight. Him v Calzaghe would've been a good one too but obviously the age gap meant that would never happen.

That's really interesting. I love watching stuff like that which gives you a greater appreciation of the ring craft involved. One last thing worth a mention about Ward is while I don't go in for all that religious stuff, it's admirable the way he conducts himself out of the ring. His devotion to boxing probably saved him from the addiction of both of his parents and lots of his mates in Oakland but he's also this humble (considering his talents) family man and you never hear about him acting like a dick. He's still with the lass he went out with in high school. Re: the sparring with Kovalev, Ward strikes me as the type who might hold back a little so as not reveal too many secrets.

• 2 weeks later...

Was talking to my mate yesterday about the Hall fight tonight and looked at the prices on oddschecker. Most places were 4/6 for Butler on points 5/2 Butler win ko/tko. Anyway betstars had fucked up and put 5/2 decision 4/6 ko. So we sign up and stick 40 quid each on Butler decision. Bet got cancelled within about 5 minutes by their trading team. Cunts

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

Btw, I see Tyson Fury has decided not to apply for a licence with the BBBofC. Blaming the way they've treated him. Aye, rightio. I saw an interview with him about a fortnight ago and, despite him supposed to have been back in training for a while, he looked fat as fuck. Said when he got injured training for the Klitschko rematch   that he might never fight again and this looks more likely than ever now. No doubt he'll still be on social media banging on about being the lineal champ and how he would beat Joshua. Although by that reckoning Lennox Lewis would still be the lineal champion. Bit sad like but, despite the fact I think he has his demons, I think it basically just boils down to a combination of not being arsed and knowing he'd probably lose anyway. Amazing achievement to beat Klitschko though. Even if it was like watching paing dry (which is the real reason AJ is far more popular and very little to do with owt else).