The Boxing thread

Jimbo

11 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Mayweather should agree to a rematch in the octagon. I'd pay to see that.

I reckon they should have a duel 

Aye. Think Ortiz presents more of a challenge like. Although it's difficult to assess how good Ortiz actually is because he hasn't fought anyone of note. 

Wilder is the interesting one next summer once he gets the two mandatory challengers out of the way. After that, who else is here left in the division worth him bothering with? Fury I suppose, if he can get his act together, to play the villain to sell the fight. After that, fuck knows.

And you get the feeling Joshua wants it a lot more than Wilder. It would also be a big fight (due to it being an all British affair) if Hughie Fury were to beat Parker to set up a fight with Joshua.

16 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Wilder is the interesting one next summer once he gets the two mandatory challengers out of the way. After that, who else is here left in the division worth him bothering with? Fury I suppose, if he can get his act together, to play the villain to sell the fight. After that, fuck knows.

Fury will never fight again. He's on a different planet these days

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Fury will never fight again. He's on a different planet these days

Said when he pulled out of the Klitschko rematch that I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't fight again. He'll still be tweeting he's the real champ for the next 20 years or so though.

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

what do you lads reckon then - has canelo got a chance? shoudl be a good fight

Aye, I probably slightly favour Canelo as I think he's improved and age might be catching with GGG a little bit. Proper fight

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I don't think think 35 is over the hill yet in boxing years either. 

Just depends on the fighter really. I think he's showed signs he's not quite the boxer he was.

2 hours ago, Ant said:

GGG for me , Canelos improved and he's bulked up as well but hoping the age isn't going to matter for GGG and he takes canelos head off, Canelo was ducking him until now sadly.

I don't think Canelo has the chin GGG has as well which is what gives me a bit more hope, he's been rocked in his earlier years by smaller hitters, Cotto rocked him as well, and GGG has this knack of throwing a big hitter while taking one, he doesn't seem to shy away when he sees a punch coming to land

(i say big hitter, all GGG does is throw hard/thudding shots with either hand, just constant power and pressure, he just grinds people down, as opposed to having a "knock out punch")

least it's happening when GGG is 35 as opposed to 40 and canelo being in his early 30's

In fairness to Canelo, he's a genuine light middleweight fighting the best middleweight for about 10 years.

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

we'll see. he might be approaching the hill but not over it just yet. should be a great contest. 

That's it. The reason professional boxing is largely boring is because there are so many mismatches and so few genuine match-ups against top class opposition.

36 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

and yet it probably won't get near the total mayweather/mcgregor made

Nowt really will in either code though. Add a bit of 'celebrity' and people will watch any old shite tbh.